Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭launish116

I think Ulster need to forget this dream of signing one Marque player and sign 2/3 steady eddies who will intern raise the bar across the squad.

I'd love to know the push for Sheridan now? was big fan at U20s and would love to see him push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

Rumours that Leinster were enquiring about his plans next season, may be the reason he has jumped a lot of back rows although he apparently went really well v Ealing so may just be on merit and nothing to the rumours.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm betting those rumours are pure invention.

He goes to Trinity I think, someone is putting 2+2 together and getting 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Doak in ahead of Cooney? Could Cooney be off to Iona?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Doubt it - McF started Alby Mathewson ahead of Cooney when his form dipped - for a knockout game. He might be away, but I reckon he's not starting so that we have a good bench.

Post edited by Paul Smeenus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Very nasty head on head collision between two Stormers players. One had to be stretchered off in a neck brace. Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Shehal

Adamson is the ref so this game will slow and turgid as hell.

Lovely try, Burns terrific in the build up there and good awareness from Doak seeing the gap.

Tackler on Hume there two phases before that try was hilariously offside.

Another nice try there. Doak has been good so far. Picking some good options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Stewart Moore my pick so far, but Doak's been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

How has adamson decided that was a try? He was a long way away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Shehal

Well he's given the try so he can't overrule it unless there is evidence it wasnt grounded.

If anyone can lose it from here its Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Bit mental that was given.

JTA looking great for a third choice tighthead. Was doubtful about him to start with but injuries were probably troubling him.

Player has dipped, tackler has dipped.

Penalty at most.

The 12 should be in the bin for his effort at that tackle.

Even allowing for the lack of composure demonstrated by Stormers that's a very determined Ulster performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good shift from Ulster tonight. Toomaga Allen is becoming a fans favourite, Stewart was as robust as ever, Doak had a good game as did Lowry and the two centres (Hume in particular has responded positively last week and this week to his Ireland squad omission). Also a mention for Ben Moxham, I'd say that was his best Ulster performance to date. I thought he played really well.

Oh and Vermuelen of course had a strong game against his old side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thought Doak was really good tonight,is going to be a regular for Ireland soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

The pitch didn't look in great condition. Lots of sand and bare patches..... Is it used a lot other than for Ulster games? Seems to be an annual problem now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I believe that the combined provinces xv in the celtic challenge cup will be playing in Kingspan.

There's probably a bunch of domestic rugby games played in the Kingspan but I don't know.

I remember reading a few years that Donnybrook hosted about 300 games a season which might give an idea about the amount of domestic rugby in a province that needs a venue with significant facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Donnybrook has 2 clubs using it though and the schools cups. Does Ravenhill have any clubs that use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

The pitch looked in awful shape. No clubs use it and outside of Ulster Senior men’s and women’s fixtures I don’t think it has been used this season for any club fixtures before the All Ireland Junior Cup Final this season.

The combined Provinces side have fixtures there plus two schools cup semi finals and a final during March.

The new 4G surface is meant to be installed for the start of next season.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Old Donnybrook pitch was a nightmare towards the end of the season.

Games being played on it almost every day between Wesley/Bective Games , Schools games and every Junior club final being played there.

It was like playing in a sand-pit built on uneven concrete...

Doak looked fantastic when he came on the scene and was trending in the right direction for sure. But he's been terrible lots of times this season.

He won't get near an Ireland cap until he becomes consistent. Casey has blown past him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭launish116

Sounds about right for most of Ulster's young guns, greta first season to teeter out! just look at O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hume looks to have rediscovered his mojo over the last couple of matches which is a major positive. Hopefully he keeps it up in the final third of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Have we officially just given up on the Ulster thread folks?

Ulster team to play Glasgow Warriors, BKT United Rugby Championship Round 14, Friday 17 February at Scotstoun Stadium (KO 7 35pm), live on ViaPlay and URC.tv.

(15-9): Ethan McIlroy, Ben Moxham, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak.

(1-8): Eric O’Sullivan, Tom Stewart, Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Alan O’Connor (Captain), Kieran Treadwell, Harry Sheridan, Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Rory Sutherland, Andy Warwick, Cormac Izuchukwu, Greg Jones, John Cooney, Luke Marshall, Craig Gilroy.

Lowry injured, Duane apparently already in n SA. Happy to see Sheridan start and Izzy on the bench. Shame not to see Marcus or McCann line out but these are an important three games and I presume there's a plan.

• Advertisement

Tend to just tune out of URC games during the 6 nations.

Presumably Glasgow are missing a load of Scotland players?

Advertisement