Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

which shelly for 2 way light switch?

• 27-01-2023 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

i have 2 way light switches - one down stairs and one upstairs which control 3 gu10 bulbs (one connection)

the electrician tried shelly 2pm and shelly 2.5 and shelly 1plus

but none of them worked.

we have neutral at the switch too.

the electrician said he needs power to the shelly which does not exist behind the switch.

(he tried to give power to shelly via a socket nearby to the switch. but that tripped off the mcb)

anyone have similar 2 way switches working with shelly - please guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Your electrician....is it really an electrician????

There has to be a live behind one of the 2 way switches otherwise you'd have no live to power the light....

The shelly goes in to whichever of the 2 switches has the live and neutral from the light circuit. They feed the shelly and then the shelly can be wired to detect if either switch is flicked.

https://homesight.tech/?post_type=jetpack-portfolio&p=320

Post edited by Nelbert on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I had wired my shelly in the two way behind a switch (no neutral) and then, thanks to a borrowed neutral in the landing rewired it to be in the ceiling rose (which has been perfect since). I would skip whatever electrician you have, and go straight to getting someone handy with the electrics to do it in the ceiling rose.

https://gist.github.com/lordneon/aecf24035a4dc5e6b950977e37aeb930 is a helpful starting point for the ceiling rose solution to two way wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks guys.. he was able to do shelly 1pm and shelly 2 pm without any problem. for some reason he couldn't do the 2 way switch. i gave him shelly 1pm, shelly 2pm, shelly 2.5 but nothing worked.

which shelly did you guys use for this scenario?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I used a 1L for the initial installation with the no-neutral behind the switch. (wihout a borrowed neutral it would have been fine, but when I put the bypass in to use an LED instead of a high load filament bulb, it all went to pieces, I've another thread somewhere on that)

Currently got a 1pm in there as I didn't want to think too much about the wiring compared to the diagram I linked.

Advertisement