Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

This landed today. Omega Seamaster 166.067 from 1971. It has some form of vaguely sparkly dial. Polished 35.5mm front with matt sides, which is unusual. The quick date setting is done by pulling out the crown, which then springs back in. Each pull out moves the date forward. Needs a better strap.

Dipping my toes in the vintage waters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You know it makes sense. 😁

Nice BTW. The 70's had some oddball crown functions, so that doesn't surprise me.

Handily and thankfully the vintage market has deflated a lot since the mad peaks a few years ago. Many dealers don't seem to have realised this, but private sellers have or increasingly are. I noted this difference on chrono24 in a few areas. Dealers wanting X, private sellers wanting noticeably less. There was always a difference, but it's widened by some margin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

samurai save the ocean great white shark ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

That date already changing?

yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Seems early, Turtle was lying on my desk all day since I swapped to the Citizen for work this morning, even now at 23:20 date still hasn't budged. Never mind it's 12 hours ahead! 😂 Checking setting it starts at 10:45 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My grand Seiko snowflake is the same , the date starts changing over well before midnight so it’s not just the cheaper seikos .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

Thats lovely, very smart. The Omegas from that era are very classy watch and while 50 years old don't really show it in some of their designs.

I just bought my first vintage on Friday so it should arrive tomorrow I guess. Not as flash a seamaster though but we all have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Just trying this on a rubber strap - opinions?!

There was quite a price difference between dealers and private sellers. I ended up finding something in the middle, that has been serviced.

So, despite having a box full of 20mm straps, I have an 18mm watch, a 19mm watch and a 21mm watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

If you are Dublin based I have a rubber 21mm set of straps I won't use...

I am indeed. It's for a Pelagos 39, but it already comes with a black rubber strap. Thanks anyway - very generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

lurker here. wearing my grand uncles Record Datofix today. manufactured circa 1950.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh. Wow. Niiiiice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Beagslife

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

doubt anyone will be running in the claim that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Here are the actual watches issued to a Fleet Air Arm fighter pilot. None of this navigator luxury nonsense.

I have a sneaking suspicion real pilots just climbed in the cockpit and set the clock built into the panel and used that during the flight. I really can't see them messing about getting a pocket watch chronograph out, with the risk of dropping it if you didn't tie it on a cord.

We had a panel clock out of a Hurricane that a mechanic gave my father as a present. It was installed in a cabin cruiser my mother and father built in our backyard. Years later some thieves broke in and stole it from the instrument panel. I find it very curious that a thief would be such a discerning and sharp eyed horologist to even have the faintest idea what it was. None of the other instruments were touched.

Wibbs, can you account for your movements in or around 1975? You weren't in Australia at any point, by any chance?

;-)

Somewhere I even have some original navigation maps for the NW UK Irish Sea and NI as he was in and out of RNAS Eglinton in NI.

The Omega is 32mm and is stuffed; the JLC still works. I have to say those real men aviators wear massive flashy watches Brietling ads with a spitfire in the background annoy the shi​t out of me, knowing the truth was vastly different.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

German excellence in watch making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's official then 😃

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F3OEtmUv5Nc&feature=shares

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's a cracking piece and all the moreso because you had your own input.

• Advertisement

i had forgotten how much I like this watch - yellow Seiko BFK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Oh my god, something weird is happening here.

This ticks so many 'anti' boxes for me. Gold, strange complications, hand wound. Almost the polar opposite of what I usually go for.

And yet, I look at it and I think its beautiful and I want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Been waiting awhile for this one. Birthday present from my wife.

@Wibbs Thanks for that😁

Post edited by dinorebel on

Yeah Vanilla does this. I've found the only way aorund it is to download the file, convert it into jpg, rotate it and reupload it, which I've done. Tweaked the brightness a bit too.

This is a Steinhart that every single time I see it, strikes me as being my next watch 😉

Yes it's full on homage but it's such a great take on the McQueen explorer but it is very well executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is it the 39 or 42mm version? I've the 42mm and love it.. was my entry to automatic watches..slippery slope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

It's the 42mm have to say I'm absolutely loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have a Steinhart GP LE, was thinking of picking up a Flieger from them .. but was thinking… can I have 2 watches from one brand? Should I go down the Stowa, Laco route or bide my time .. keep saving and get the IWC big pilot

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

but was thinking… can I have 2 watches from one brand?

I am not a fan of this thinking and neither are my 3 Sinns 👀

Its grand, buy and wear what you like and don't ever let my Mrs in on your 1 per brand heresy😂

Advertisement