Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dead Space Remake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s reviewing better than I expected! And it’s nice that there’s some additional content in there, and those god awful cannon bits are gone.

I played the original at Halloween though, and I’m happy enough to wait for a sale and play the remake in October.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭brady12

It's coming in post from smyths tomorrow , I hope ! If not i'm buying it digitally i'm desperate to play it ! Anyway can change a time zone on ps5 and play it now ? Could do it with Xbox but haptics are supposed be class on ps5 on it .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Less enthusiastic but not bad reviews from the more reliable reviewers. Sounds like the same 7/10 experience it's always been from the eurogamer review.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More negative review from the usually excellent metro game central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Delighted to see it getting such great reviews, you never know with remakes if they mess with it too much or not enough they can get it wrong. But for it to do better than the original which was already really high is very good.

Looking forward to playing this in the dark on my new OLED tonight 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really odd that its releasing at 4PM, any idea why?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe going by 8AM PST?

Odd they chose 8am PST. Normally midnight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

4-6pm Irish time is pretty standard for Steam releases, although yeah console releases typically release at midnight local time.

• Advertisement

Dead space remake is incredible on ps5 . played the original when i was about 19 . Can't remember any of it 😅but remember loving it back then too .3 hours in .

Already downloaded 2 onto my series x!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've read reports of CPU overheating on the PC version. I'd be interested in seeing how bad this issue is before buying this. I tend to avoid any games that cause overheating of any sort. I recently had to uninstall weird west as it was frying my GPU and leaving me with a black screen.

Dead Space on an OLED when the lights go out is amazing. Pitch black with just the glows from the suit and a few distant lights glowing.

I know it's a small thing but the sparks 😍

Ya it's class . Only negative so far not being skip cut scenes 🙈Died twice on one spot and had re watch long cut scene . Could be very frustrating later in game !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Big fan of the series, rocking a Dead Space poster on my wall and using isaacs picture as an avatar on my login screen, sad case I know

The 3D audio is great....well in a scared the **** out of me way 🤣.

Constant sounds all around you, ship creaking, steam pipes, sparks, voices in your head, doors and monsters. Really messes with you.

Would be horrific in VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

I'm on chapter 4 atm and I have to say I'm so disappointed. The graphics on the PS5 version are horrendous. It's all pixelated to hell, this is with performance mode disabled. I'm hoping it gets sorted as I see that a lot of people are experiencing the same issue. For me so far The Calisto Protocol is a much better game in terms of atmosphere and visuals at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played the first hour. Seems pretty good so far. Never played the originals so not much idea of what to expect.

It seems to be a bug that came in the day one patch, was just reading an article about it right before coming here. Seems to be when it tries to rescale the resolution down to match the display.

If you have it on disk, delete the patch and it should be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

Thanks for that Grumpy. Alas I just deleted it there and cancelled the patches. It still doesn't look great to me. Maybe it's just me! But it just doesn't look like a finished product. It still looks like I'm playing a ps4 version!

• Advertisement

Iv noticed graphics as well . About 3 hours getting distracting . And it's on Graphics mode . Callisto stunning compared to it . Graphics supposed be better on Xbox ?

Seems to be a problem with VRS. I've never been a fan of vrs and when you have a game as dark as dead space I'm sure it's reducing the quality of pretty much everything. Apparently theres a patch incoming.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

While there analysis of Dead Space isn't out, digital foundry said in the latest DF direct that there is an issue with the visuals and its to do with a combination of dynamic resolution scaling, FSR upscaling and VRS. Should be fixed in a patch.

I'm more than delighted to hear the HDR implementation is excellent. No black level raise which is so common with HDR in games these days. The HDR implemtation in the Callisto Protocol should of been renamed to the milk filter.

Calisto looked great there is no argument there. But the game is miles behind dead space.

Finished Chapter 4 last night, pretty much 1 hour per chapter. Really liking the game and combat. If I had any complaints it'd be that movement is extremely tanky, especially with no form of dodge or backstep. But also the insect enemies that latch on to you are a pain if you don't have the flamethrower equipped. Lost a good chunk of health in one fight last night because I was trying to kill a normal enemy and couldn't see why I wasn't shooting and why my health was flashing. Didn't see the prompt to shake the insect off, but even when I did there were another few on the ground who would instantly latch on to me. Going to definitely keep the flamethrower equipped at all times from now on.

There was an issue with Dynamic Shading scaling (or something like that) that they're aware of and are patching shortly. DF did a tech dive an noticed it too.

Am doing the plasma cutter only playthrough, those lads are a pain.

Jesus, I didn't even know that was a thing.... Best of luck with that! Any more than one enemy on screen at a time and I need to pull out the Ripper!

Not sure if you've met a certain enemy by Ch.4, so read at your peril.

I'm like a surgeon when those "pregnant" enemies attack, belly hardly ever bursts when killing them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've met them.

I think it was after my trouble mentioned above that I realised.... that's not the enemy's weak point....

Advertisement