Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New car damaged by dealership

• 26-01-2023 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was due to collect my new car at dealership but they rang to say it’s been damaged by the valet. The side is slightly damaged, no paint is scratched, just dented. It’s been sent to approved body shop.

What are my options now? I’m really disappointed as I’ve been waiting 6 months and now it feels like I’m taking damaged goods.

And what if they dealer is claiming on his insurance? Will that be registered against the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Have you seen a picture of it? If not then get one.

I wouldn’t be accepting a car that had any repainting or repair.

if the dent can be pulled out easy enough then I might not mind, that or a brand new panel/ door or whatever was damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s a right “dent”- looks he did it off the side of a concrete wall or kerb?

The paint looks removed at the lower end

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Agree on both counts. Must have been a bollard I think.

Don’t know what to do as never had or heard of this situation before:/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Has he offered you any discount in addition to fixing the damage ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Liam2021

If it was me I would not take the car. You will always remember it was repaired. Its not new anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Plenty of cars are damaged in transit some get bodywork before they even get to the dealer or if its delivered damaged then the car is sent back to be repaired. These things can easily happen but once its fixed properly then shouldn't be an issue and ask some form of discount

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

The car won’t be recorded as damaged and the car won’t be devalued by getting a bit of paintwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yeah I'd imagine if he doesn't buy it then it will be fixed and sold to another unsuspecting customer at full whack.

Or used as a demo car for a while before being patched up and sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A car getting body work isn't a problem once it's done right. Cars are often damaged being loaded or uploaded from trucks,boats etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

The car hasn’t been devalued. So theres no ‘unsuspecting’ customer, and theres no need to offer a discount on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Raichu

Honestly it is what it is. Sure look better they did it and fix it than you do when you buy it.

I wouldn’t refuse to buy it anyway especially because they’re getting it fixed properly. Just make sure to take a proper good look when you go to pickup the car and make sure you’re not getting taken for an eejit.

Unlikely considering the garage didn’t have to tell you what happened. Could easily have just told you it’s just a bit held up on the valet and offer you their sympathies for the extra week or two waiting. They are at least honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s absolutely worth less than a van that wasn’t damaged and repaired. Now they could do a great job on the repair and probably will, but an experienced person will spot a repair, and will pull back on the value accordingly.

To counter that though, how readily available is another van in the spec and colour you want, how long will you be keeping the van for, and how happy are you knowing it was damaged? Personally I’d walk away, but maybe there are practical issues here that would make just accepting this van the best option.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

No he hasn’t offered any discount, I think we’re going to call in tomorrow and discuss it.

I’m sure they’ll do a great job on the repair, they’re a main dealer and let’s just say it’s not a cheap car, not that such a thing exists these days!

But colm_mcm made a good point. I won’t notice the repair but what if a professional does when I go to sell it. This risk is will have to be valued and also the loss of joy and excitement…why bother buying a new car otherwise.

If you’re spending a large amount of money on a vehicle you want it to be right and happy with it- you clearly aren’t and it’s an issue. I would reject it unless a tempting offer was on the table and/or would accept another model instead depending on stock availability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭paul71

I am not sure if this is at all practical, but would anyone know if the op could request a new panel from the factory instead of a repair? Or would the lead tie by too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭elperello

For a start they won't be doing the job.

It will be farmed out to a third party.

That will be a good professional body shop and they will produce a finish that will be indiscernible from new when you collect it.

I have seen enough of this type of job to know that time is not on it's side.

After 3 to 5 years a bit of fading or colour difference can often be detected.

You might be lucky but for taking that chance I would need more than a job which is just putting the car back where it should be anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭raclle

You're paying a lot of money for a damaged new car. The fact you're looking for advice says you're not comfortable buying it so go with your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

How much of a drop in value is it going to be? And what about in X years when you trade it on? Once it's fixed it's not a major issue.

As long as they fix right then it's not a big issue? It's cosmetic more than anything then.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Post edited by colm_mcm on

• Advertisement

Talking to the misses here and we considering to either walk away, or, take the car with a discount (for us the joy and excitement is gone, might as well be buying a 2nd hand car) and also a written guarantee that any issues in the future with the repair will be rectified. I’ll have to make some inquires first to see how binding the latter can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

was in a similar position 5 years ago, but I accepted the car and when trading in at a different dealer filling out the SIMI form I had to say the

car was repaired. I lost about 1K I believe, (boot door had been replaced) after 2 years it became a slightly different shade and was noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sligopaul

OP it's a shame your buying experience has been affected, as others have said sill needs paint, when repaired it could look ok now but in 3-5 years that could be a different story, the vehicle is worth less and the dealership while offering no discount will know that a discussion is coming. I hope it all works out to your satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Not a hope I would take that, unless whatever was damaged was replaced with brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I waited months for a couch last year only for it to turn up damaged. Had no hesitation asking for a refund. It was a pain in the hole alright but I don't regret doing it. I bought a car before and when collecting it the valet was reversing it at top speed around the car park. Really pissed me off so can totally see how this can happen. It would always annoy me if I was buying new. Part of the new feel is that it is not damaged. DFS tried to say they would repair it but under the Sale of goods act you are entitled to a full refund. At least use that for your negotiation stands if they are offering no money off if that is what you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

A good friend of mine does PDR - paintless dent removal - and would have those 2 big dents good as NEW! Once no paint is broken.

BUT - the lower sill looks dented (pushed in) and damaged - and this is a different story! If it were me - I'd prob walk away. Especially as it's brand new!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I would be very unhappy about it, but, depending on the car and my situation etc, I'd be very much in 2 minds about rejecting it and starting all over again.

Those here that are saying it will be "devalued" are deluded imo. Who's ever going to know? It's relatively minor panel damage. There's hardly a car on the road that hasn't seen new paint at some point in its life - and often as in this case, very early in their life! If the work is done to a very good standard by a good bodyshop, you or anyone else will never be any the wiser and it certainly will not affect its resale value. I've traded in many cars to dealers over the years, a few of them have had minor touch ups / repairs done under my ownership (to a very good standard!), the dealers didn't ask - or care.

Main dealers do not (or very rarely) do body work these days so if you were going to go ahead with the repair, I'd insist on seeing it "in the metal" yourself and speaking directly to the bodyshop who are doing the work for their opinion on it.

PDR may also be an option, but only if the paint is undamaged. If PDR does work - even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

That damage is not insignificant, and will require a sizeable respray on the side of the car to blend it in. As others have said it may look fine afterwards, but in a few years? I would walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It would take the good out of it, for me, personally.

I would be inclined to walk away, but as others have said, I suppose you have to look at the practicalities of walking away versus going ahead. Only you can decide that.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Advertisement