Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Westwood

Options
  • 07-01-2023 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Hi,

98 joining (was 600, sale on!) and 98 a month. 12 month contract, but in reality 14 months and you need to give 60 days notice after 12 months.

Some cost, anyone any views on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Run away.

thats about 22euro more than any member I know.

the 600 is a joke. No one pays it. The whole membership office is a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's a good gym but i believe the spa area has been gone from the clontarf one for nearly 2 years. i will probably join it when i move home later this year as i will be living nearby.

the overfill car park was apparently leased to them by DCC and tonight at a council meeting they voted to not lease it to them any more, so that'll be funny with the parking situation.

is it reallly 98 a month now? i had been told they upped it to 89 from 79 recently.

98 a month, Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

Its 89 a month. Im a member of the gym and lately the gym is just too packed in the evening. Im sure all the gyms are the same at this time of the year. Any recommendations of a gym close to drumcondra. I know flye fit are in the area.

They lost the lease to the overflow carpark? No way. Its going to get worse now so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

People hadn't realised it was on a 20 year lease from the council. Then when it came to the end of the lease people heard about it. The public and local counsellors want the area better used.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Apartments sound pretty good alright - there's a real shortage in the area, whether buying OR renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'm not sure how busy the car park is there, but I think the number of spaces has reduced since it was redone in the past few months. I'd be all for apartments there, and it's not overlooking anything really, so hopefully they could put a decent height in and wouldn't have too many objections. I wouldn't want it sold off to some developer for an overpriced build to let scheme though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah for that money you would almost want an empty gym at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I find for the price there are an inordinate amount of groups of young lads , they are kind of a pain cos they create a Q wherever they are and end up blocking things like the plunge pool cos they decide they want to hang out there and one of my neighbours felt uncomfortable in the Sauna.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

TNDO gym in North Strand used to be 'ok', but it's been a number of years since I was in there. Very cheap and cheerful budget gym, it could have changed since then.

You've got FlyeFit obviously, as mentioned.

In Clontarf and Marino The Edge run group lifting classes that could be a good option for someone who just wants to show up and lift. They'll have programmed the workout and it's capped at a certain number of people. It's popular enough, run in circuit fashion. More lifting orientated rather than being metabolic conditioning. But obviously that won't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

I get that in my own gym. Young lads standing around chatting at machines. It's more a social networking outlet then a place for tough training. It becomes a pain in the proverbial when you want to use equipment there at. But if there paying customers what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Fun fact about the parking. People figured out that joining WW and using their car park was cheaper than paying for parking in the dart car park so WW had to hire a person to manage the car park to ensure people weren't parking all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there any other gym that has a swimming pool?

The CRC has both and is cheaper. But it's not as well appointed.

Got a members email from westwood

Lastly, I apologise for the ongoing issues in car park 2, we will have the barrier system fixed by this weekend and we will have the car park 2 covered by our car park attendants. They will be there to ensure spots are taken by members using our facilities. Anyone using the car park for the Dart station or football pitches etc. will be required to find alternative parking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm hearing bad stuff about the Leopardstown gym too. The missus is a member. She said the changing rooms are a disgrace and other maintenance stuff that's required. Parking not so much an issue there but she said the gym is crazy busy in the evenings lately. She's leaving when her membership is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Ask your wife why the gyms are busy in the evening lately?

It's not rocket science mate, it's January. It will die down over the next few months as people get bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

does anyone know if the spa area in clontarf is now functioning? have been away over a year but it was out of service when i left and i'll probably join again in the next couple of months when home

Spa area isnt opened yet, and from what i have heard there is loads of work still to be done in that area. Nobody can answer that question in westwood when you ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rondog

Yes, they sent out a lovely video detailing what the Spa area will look like and the different areas it will have getting everyone excited and then back to the usual quietness about any potential opening date.

Alot of very p1ssed off members not happy at being kept in the dark about progress and specific dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Someone I know who worked there said that spa area is not going to be completed any time soon.

it was 14th march they said it would be open in the next 90 days. 2 months have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rondog

cant understand for the life of me what could be so wrong that they couldnt fix it in 2/3 years?!!

A major building project could be completed in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭dmakc

They're jokers. And the membership team too. Very smug and reflective of the company. One told me that members are freezing memberships / leaving over the spa issue but that they'll be crawling back in their droves when it opens, this was 6 months ago. Laughing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

The OH is looking to join Westwood leopardstown and they looking for joining fee 149 and 69 monthly.

is there any point her haggling on the joining fee?

also any one know how much a day pass is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

The 'joining fee' is mostly a codeword for the sales person's commission. Absolutely negotiable, although I do believe that it is harder to haggle them at the start of a month as they have targets to meet.

Advertisement