Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Race Thread 2023 **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Third for Ben Healy in Mallorca. In the break all day. He effectively guaranteed a podium by pushing in the last KM even though he knew he’d sacrifice any chance of a win. His best result as a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Agreed, I think he'll have a good year this year and like his attacking style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Quintana dismissing retirement rumours and is hoping to ride this year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

San Juan with no pictures again, until the last corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Stage 4, San Juan. Gaviria, from Sagan and Ganna. Big split in the field - I think Sam is along way back. Gaviria is now leading on GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do any of the remaining stages suit Sam in Argentina?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Not to today - they are finishing at nearly 2700m. Tomorrow has a Cat 3 about a third of the way through but is downhill / flat for the remainder so should suit him, assuming today's climbing hasn't wrecked him. Final stage is pan-flat - 7 x 16 km laps of San Juan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Paddy must be feeling the pinch from the Remco contract. Back to bullying high salary riders and claiming he is faking an injury.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Today is a rest day so all of the above is true just add 1 day. Although based on how much actual footage we have gotten so far today will be just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Coverage like that... makes me realise how much I take for granted in coverage of the major races, time checks, close ups on sprint finishes etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jesus, he really is an outrageous boll*cks, hopefully some of his fanboys on the continent are starting to tyre of his BS, the sport doesn't need the likes of him.

Nothing revelatory in that but kind of sums up where Lefevre is now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Alaphilipe won’t be short of offers

Ala is out of contract in 2024 so it's likely this is down to him not wanting to sign whatever peanuts PL is offering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Soudal-Quickstep are all-in for Remco these days anyway. Good time for Ala to get out. French teams will queue up for him. Remco has a few years on his contract so the abuse won't start for him just yet.

Ide love to see him at FdJ but French teams would be a bit of a step down for him.

Could probably afford him once Pinot is off the payroll.

Sagan announces he is semi-retiring from the road at the end of the year.

Maybe but they are not exactly a prolific team and probably could not match what others will offer. He is probably now one of the biggest personalities in cycling.

San Juan going up to 2600m today. They could have kept on up the road to th chile border, would have been 4000m+. Some serious paved altitude in the Andes

Mountain top finish in San Juan. Miguel Angel Lopex took the stage by about 30 seconds from Ganna and Higuita.

Carlton keeps talking about Superman's behaviour carefully avoiding the fact that it wasn't really behaviour that has him riding for a Conti team.

• Advertisement

San Juan delivered this evening. Great sprint finish. Sam second but importantly beat Jacobsen in the closest to a one on one I've seen between them (if anything Jacobsen had the advantage coming out of Sam's wheel). Great win for Wellsford though. Seems like a nice lad. Fun to see the local kids politely tapping the DSM lads on the shoulder and asking for their bidons. How many young lads would just grab and run?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

Yeah it’s great to see Sam fighting for the win. While he only got the 1 victory he has been pretty good in all the sprints so far. Very encouraging signs. Hopefully he has a successful season ahead of him.

Saudi Tour kicks off and as usual I find it all very strange compared to other sports. There is simply no discussion in cycling about the right or wrong about having an event in places like this. I would never blame cyclists as they are doing a job and in many case some of the sponsors are directly connected to the places they race but I would like the media to at least acknowledge this. I genuinely think that cycling has for so long been looking over it's shoulder for the next doping scandal approaching it doesn't even occur to them to consider the implications of the other facets of the sport.

You don't hear it about the races but the team sponsors has been a big topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All sports are in the same boat. The reach of these money laden middle east countries is far beyond what we will ever know.

I go so far as to say they effectively run the world....

When you have teams sponsored by the governments of UAE, Bahrain, Kazakhstan and another with Israel in its title, having a race in Saudi Arabia is merely a footnote

Of course loads of events take place in Saudi Arabia with little fanfare at all. Cycling isn’t unique there at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As has been pointed out, there's been lots of debate about sponsors - not just in the context of State sponsors, but also petrochemical companies. UCI also got hammered over the Worlds in Doha. tbh minority sports like cycling have less options than football or golf who don't really need the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cycling still has a moral/ ethical responsibility though. It may not be huge sport but it has a global reach and a global audience. Sportswashing/ reputational laundering by petrostates and large unethical corporations is never ok, no matter how many excuses you make for it.

If the sport has to contract a a result that's no harm.

I think there was a bit of giving out when races started there about rider welfare, but that's died down now

I don't watch any of them when they happen out there, but then Israel, Bahrain, Astana etc etc are all in the peloton laundering away. And there isn't a country in the world that ethically sound, but some are worse than others. I know it doesn't really make sense to skip those races and watch the classics etc but a futile stand is better than no stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I skip those races because they are ****, with the possible exception of one hill or two in the UAE tour

• Advertisement

So far the middle east mostly occupies a section of former off season so the average fan barely notices they exist which is why there is no big uproar unlike say golf or football.

If Qatar tried to set up a rival TdF suddenly people would take notice.

I've just made peace with the fact that most people don't think as deeply about sport or politics as I do.

Advertisement