Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Art O'Neill 2023

Options
  • 14-11-2022 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I got a spot in the AON23 lottery and was wondering if anybody who has done this before can help me.

I will be travelling up on my own for the race as 2 other lads did not get a place. What is the best way to work the car in dublin and getting back to it after the finish.

Or is it better to leave car in glenmalureand find someway to Dublin Castle for start.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

There are regular buses from the finish back to the Sandyford Luas stop (at least that was the case a couple of years back). You could leave the car there and get the Luas into Stephens Green and walk from there to the Castle. It's only 15 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Spotted this on FB.

the Pursuit race will start at 22.00. There will be no transport back from Kippure Estate and no showers there either, but there will be a BBQ and a party.. hope that answers your questions !

I've parking paid for in kippure (had assumed there would be a bus to start based on something it'd heard from previous year)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MJPK

Hi, just wondering have you received any further info about getting out of Glenmalure after the event? I'm in the same situation as yourself, a solo competitor.

Would you be interested in carpooling? Ie. Leaving a car in glenmalure on the Friday and could then drive out of there on the Saturday. Not sure if you're running, hiking, or both. I plan on running some of the road section and estimate I'll be in the 12-14 hour bracket .

Sure let me know what you think.

Thanks

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I decided to not take up the spot i was offered, But thanks for the offer to Carpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Hi Michael, we're doing the trek and expect to be finished in 14 hours.

We're thinking of leaving the car near Glenmalure on Friday lunch time. My wife is going to drive behind in a hired car so we can get back to Dublin 15. We'd prefer to get a bus but unfortunately there isn't one and taxi drivers in the area have been inundated with requests.

It's a shame DWMR aren't organising buses. We would be happy to pay extra if cost is the issue. Hiring a car is going to be more expensive and we'll have to find somewhere to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to anyone taking part tonight, I'll be dropping a friend at Dublin Castle later on as it happens.

Now that the dust has settled any thoughts on the event? It looks like approximately 40% didn't finish.

The rain made it very tough. I was soaked before reaching checkpoint 1.

I collected a friend who was doing it for the fourth time in Glenmalur & he was saying if was the hardest he'd ever found it. Of course there was the extra bit of distance as well.

Mind you he did come along with me to a parkrun afterwards for an easy jog round so he wasn't totally wrecked!

I'd scribbled this based on the available results, and I'm probably wrong but...

Ultra (112 racing, 83 finished — 74%, 29 DNF/S 26%)

Trek (81 racing, 26 finished - 32%, 55 DNF/S - 68%)

Hybrid (39 racing, 21 Finished - 54%, 18 DNF/S - 46%)

108 total DNF/S less the 78 retired gives 30 DNS on the night - so 39% DNF for those 202 on the start line

The challenge was harder to get numbers. I'd heard mention on the night there were 188 registered and 30 didn't show up to registration. There were 102 finishers.

So 102/158 ~ 35% DNF there... Maybe... Though that seems very high.

Anyways, yeah I'd definitely do it again. Was really nice to be out at night running like that, would love to do more of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Does anyone know when the lottery opens up for the 2024 iteration of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chuckles1

after run the line in November. Was talking to DMRT on Saturday at the Ecotrail run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Thanks for posting that. Signed up for the shorter distance. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I threw me hat in for the challenge lottery.

No problem, I’m in for the Ultra lottery myself.

A friend entered both of us for the ultra which means (I think) that either we both get in or not. Any idea what the odds are these days?

I think it's approximately a 1 in 3 chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Keep training if you don't get it. I didn't get in first time. Then people who don't take up their entry frees up some entries. I only got confirmation 5 weeks before AON 2023. Best event ever! Hoping to do it again without torrential rain this time.

Is there a mandatory kit list for this?

• Advertisement

Sure is, similar (maybe identical) to the list for the KWU -

Mandatory Gear List

Full waterproof jacket and trousers

Head Torch with minimum 200 lumens and spare batteries

Paper route map

Fully charged mobile phone

Survival (bivy, foil) bag/blanket

Whistle

First Aid Kit (plasters, bandages, sterile dressing, laces etc.)

Gloves, Hat

Water and spare food

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭acceletor

Sixth time lucky, toes crossed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MuchoTrails

Third time lucky I'm hoping....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭acceletor

Anyone know when the lucky few are notified?

A couple of questions.

What time does it typically start at? I'm doing Pursuit so not sure if that changes start time.

I have cycled up Ballinascorney a few times. It is quite a tight road. On race day, is it an open or closed road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Roads open but extremely light traffic outside the city at that time of night. Could count cars encountered past Firhouse on a single hand the years I did it. And probably half of those were related to the event.

Still, all should follow the rules on illumination/high-vis/headphones/etc.

Anyone know when we might hear if successful or not ? Checking my email every 5 minutes 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

They said on Facebook yesterday that they hope to do the draw in the next few days and to bear with them

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Perpetual Student

After doing like Marty Bird and checking the emails constantly, looks like first round of notifications have come out tonight as got mine at 1020. Let the training and recces and questioning why I want to run around Wicklow in the middle of the night in January commence...

• Advertisement

Unsuccessful for me 😢best of luck everyone.

Advertisement