Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

@yankinlk Could you please clarify what you mean by "they have already froze my discount"? Was it that whatever % discount from standard was applied during your contract remained after your contract expired? If so did you have to do anything like call them up for that to happen? Or was the discount in your out of contract bill just the same except applied to a new higher unit rate after the contract expired?

I'm asking because I think Energia kept my discount after my contract expired but I've only had a few weeks out of contract on my latest bill, not sure if the discount will be there on the next bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

But how would I get around the fireman switch turning off then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It gets taken out completely, only required for SEAI grant

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Sure. I wrote a few posts about it in this thread: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120150697/#Comment_120150697

Im not out of contract until March - but the wording in the email indicates that my current discount rate will remain the same after the contract ends - no phone calls no intervention. Im hoping to stay like that and not enter a new contract so if i see a better deal i can switch later in the year. Optimistic maybe?

"We are writing to inform you that your current Electricity fixed term contract will expire on 02/03/2023. Don't worry, nothing will change on your account and you do not need to take any action. Your discount rate won't disappear and you'll continue to receive the same discount from Electric Ireland for as long as you remain a customer. Now and in the future we're here for you."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

That's nice. Bord Gais offered me about fifth of the discount I had for my renewal... and about half what they offer to new customers. I think I'll be moving to EI next. I know some recommend Energia but I'm cautious with their issues of late.

I asked BG about the feed-in payment when I leave them next month. They said they'll pay to my bank account but didn't say when. Just March 2023 "approximately". I don't like that word in context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What is this and what is its purpose?

Are you saying get the fireman switch for the grant and then have the installer replace it with this changeover switch?

I can't find it on the site, but boards has an EI advertisement that says switch for 150 cash to new customers. I love cash.

I asked my current installer and they werent willing to do either. A switch to turn off the incoming meter or remove the fireman switch. I've already had the seai inspection.

Can you recommend an electrician that does?

I have no interest in a silly, un-needed fireman switch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I haven't done this myself yet, it's on the plan for 2023 but my reality is a) huge waiting time for a competent electrician b) we rarely get powercuts and this is the primary driver as (from what I gather) the firemans switch is removed when putting in a changeover switch

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The way my parents is done:

There is a changeover switch at the fusebox,

Beside the solar inverter there is a mcb on the backup supply.

When that is turned on, it activates a normally closed contactor interrupting the grid supply to the hybrid inverter.

This allows 2 things,

Fireman switch stays on. And the inverter isn't fed its own power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I had a similar experience and renewed on the understanding that my existing discount would be kept. It was for a couple of weeks but then reduced to 5.5%. It’s back up to 14% but I’m still chasing them to honour what they offered and what I accepted. Seems to be an IT glitch in their system according to them and that it shouldn’t be offering high discounts. Will see how it pans out.

Anyone figured out how to get this? When i click the link it never shows the 150 cashback as a price plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

maybe it's just for the electricity & gas plans?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

As an update on this, Energia told me that there was an issue with the data received which is causing delays in processing the Clean Export Guarantee payment.

Given I have a day/night meter and not a smart meter and am hence on deemed export, this is a weak excuse in my opinion. No data is required because the amount of deemed export units are based on a set formula which is based on the size of the solar installation not data from the meter. I've calculated it myself, doesn't take much more than a few lines in a spreadsheet. Given they had to have the size of the installation to process the deemed export units on my previous bill, they must still have all the data they need now.

Anyway - Energia say they are going to backdate the payments (eventually).

Yes am in the same boat. I suspect they are not willing to manually calculate for everyone on a DN meter.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought it was ESB that did the calculation and just passed on the info to energia? I wonder is it more a case of Energia just not wanting to pay out when they can't see what people are actually exporting.

Yes, ESBN provide the data, either actual (smart meters) or deemed (MCC02), and then the suppliers pay based on the kWh reported by networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

Exactly ELM327. Expect its simplest for accounting system to process the number of units submitted by ESBN be it deemed or accurate from a smart meter than adding in additional code and Database fields to record size of PV system/number of deemed units from last bill. If you submitted a new NC6 because you added a second or larger inverter you'd want that to be reflected in your deemed units and not have your supplier going ah sure we paid him 50 euro deemed export last month, lets do the same this month!

It's not a manual calculation for DN meters though, it's automatic once you know the size of the system which they must given the number of units was calculated for the previous bill.

@idc Ah comon what % of homeowners do you think change their system after installation? If you take everyone into account - not just the enthusiasts who follow the Renewable Energies thread on Boards - I bet the number is less than 1 in 500. Also it isn't just 'ah sure we paid him 50 euro deemed export last month'. The number of units is stated on the bill - it's not just the amount paid that is shown. For a day/night meter the only way you can get to the number of deemed export units is by first having the size of the installation to do the calculation.

It is manual - they would have to manually apply credits instead of the automated system coming from networks. I know its a calculation, they know its a calculation, but thats beside the point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

But none of the suppliers do the calculation, they take what esbn sends them in kWh and works from that.

I bet they don't even get the size of your system.

It also has to work with the integrated system as I suspect on the supply company end, their bill from networks is reduced by the number of kWh paid in export kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It's not a manual calculation for DN meters though, it's automatic once you know the size of the system which they must given the number of units was calculated for the previous bill.

The providers know nothing of your system (deemed export, size or otherwise). They get a kWh figure from ESB Networks and your provider pays you accordingly. That kWh figure is all they know. They wont know that the figure is going to be the same every month. ESB Networks control the whole process, not your provider.

Your provider cant be guessing. Until ESB Networks sort out whatever problem they have, we wont get getting another payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone still waiting for Electric Ireland to pay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I put in a request in Sept for payment whenI left them, seems to be no hope of getting paid, only about 60euro but still🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭millb

They are a messy organisation - ESBN lost my NC6 - never explained - but should have updated EI last month - EI haven't paid any FIT yet but for sure they have significantly reduced the discount on my tariff - despite a customer / sales chap telling me my 2022 tariff was being maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, finally. SSE paid FIT on this new bill which runs last week nov to last week Jan. A bit frustrating that the number of units was not shown, it at 0.

This led me to wonder if I was paid deemed export instead. SSE did say on the phone last week that they were not paying FIT for smart meters currently due to bad data from ESBN which has been mentioned

If I say that theres 6 months of a 4kw system, at 300kw per kwp a year, then for 600 units in half a year the amount of 150 euro looks in the ballpark.

My total export from my monitoring is also around 600 for the period so its pretty much impossible to tell any more without knowing some of the calculations.

so for other sse customers on smart tariff, of the few who got paid, was kwh figure 0 or not?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I haven't called them yet as they seem to be doing it in batches but considering they forgot about my €150 refund when I left them in October I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot about me again.

They're quick to offer their customers €50 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

I was on to them yesterday about an unrelated issue and asked about FIT. Was told as I had left them I was in going to be in the last group to be paid and they had no idea when that might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

They might do. My mec shows on my bg account as 4.0kw, although I do have a smart meter.

Advertisement