Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Every morning / evening a crash on the M50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭markpb

N3 to N7 is the busiest part of the motorway and where the exits are close together so there’s a lot of merging and exiting going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It's hardly surprising, every motorway bar one converges on the M50.

I know someone who regularly travel from Mitchelstown to Enniskillen via the M50, I would probably do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'll volunteer for that gig 😁 where do I collect the Lambo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It’s mostly caused by a small minority of drivers who engage in ludicrously frequent, often very snappy and unpredictable lane changes, or the drivers who can’t merge into traffic without practically causing a pile up.

Mirrors and indicators seem to be a decorative feature to some drivers.

There isn’t that much speeding compared to what I’ve experienced in other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Seems to have been some sort of crash/breakdown every day on the M50 the past week .. actually M1 sounds just as bad from what I hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Probably the safest place to travel on the M50 is in the middle lane. I find drivers in the outside lane very aggressive and fast and the inside lane has to many input roads coming onto the M50 and so it slows you down if you stay in that lane....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Pre covid, on two different mornings going to work I seen people having a video call with someone while driving. The phone jammed into the steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KLF

And that’s what most of your let’s call them everyday driver will do, people who aren’t so interested in the act of driving but getting from A to B. And as you say an element if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

Unfortunately it means that the M50 will never perform as intended and the upgrade to 3 lanes didn’t gain as much as was expected. It’s basically treated as a two lane motorway with a dedicated slip road

Post edited by KLF on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

M25 can be a car park also, that said it is Policed. Drove the entire length of the M50 today , not one cop car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cameras on gantries and bridges , 3 or 4 people in a control room could probably hand out hundreds of fines a day ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,195 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They also use unmarked cars.

They are good for catching people but don't have the same deterrent effect as the stripey ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The gardai don't seem keen on using cameras for enforcement in general in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The fast lane is the fast lane. If you're not driving fast, don't drive in the fast lane. Try listing lazily into a fastlane in Italy or Spain and you'll be flashed and beeped and flipped off from the car half a mile behind because you may slow them down.

Irish people on the whole don't know how to merge and don't know how to change lanes. Our last minute road signs don't help though. People panic and have a few seconds to get across 3 or 5 lanes sometimes to get off at their exit.

We dont drive on motorways in the test do we?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The fast lane is the fast lane.

There is no fast lane. You are referring to an overtaking lane!

Same thing. Im overtaking all the cars in the lane to my left!

It's not the same thing because many that believe there is a "fast lane" also believe there is a "slow lane" which is a big problem on the likes of the M50!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The amount of cars in India which drive on the opposite side of the road is insane. (I've been a passenger in them)

But its OK, they beep their horns. 😱

Indeed. But you see the middle lane moving faster than the overtaking lane a lot

That's because of piss poor driving on the M50 with many drivers not knowing what lane they should really be in. It comes down to a lack of education coupled with a lack of enforcement of the rules on our roads.

Thankfully, I've not really had a need to use the M50 (having done it daily for about 15 years). Any time I now use it, I'm surprised at how apalling the standard actually is.

Rarely use it myself but have done a few times recently in rush hour.Most of the delays are caused by bad driving as opposed to volume.

My favourite M50 moment was one morning at 8.55am when some women was stopped, completely stationary, in the middle lane, indicating to get into the Dundrum exit.

No joke, completely stopped here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭riddles

If you try to leave a suggested safe breaking distance it’s just seen as the gap lane hoppers need to get ahead of everyone else on the road who is in their way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the google street view driver is also a fan of the middle lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

People like you are a cause of the poor driving standards. You shouldn't be in the overtaking lane if you're not overtaking someone. The amount of people that sit there holding up traffic behind them is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

The m50 has probably the largest number of uses in a single day. The crashes are often caused my drivers performing dangerous lane changes and been distracted. I used a bike to travel up and down for 4 years. I have seen everything from people playing candy crush, Instagram, texting, older men reading news papers driving in the middle lane, eating cereal and mostly woman for this one applying make up.

Now I sit between lane 1 or 2 if I am overtaking, this thing of cutting into a slip road with 50 meters to go bugs the hell out of me.

I don't hold up any traffic. As I said, I'm overtaking all the cars in the lane left of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭yagan

I use to have to use the M60m most days in Manchester and I thought the M50 was easy in comparison.

Awful road aswell yeah.

The M50 southbound in the morning is worse though. Every morning, biblical traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There are stretches of the M50 south bound that line up with the low winter sun in the morning yet people who must travel it on a very regular basis seem to be taken by surprise every bright morning.

All it takes is to have a pair of polarised sun glasses in the car but instead we get the valley of the squinting idiots jamming on the brakes in unison, happens just after ballymount around 8.30 these mornings.

I'd be interested to see if there is any correlation between the location of the very regular morning crashes and the alignment of the road towards the sun at the time of the crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭yagan

No it's not. I used to travel regularly between north England, via the M60, then unto Ireland and the M50 and the M50 was gentle in comparison.

Nearly every time I used the M60 there was a high speed chase going on, usually involving stolen AMGs and BMWs. Plus the lane swapping there felt very sub continent. The M50 felt tame in comparison.

Advertisement