Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three launching 4G and Wifi Calling (VoWifi and VoLTE)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

It looks like 3 have blocked the use of WiFi calling when roaming. This is one of the major benefits of WiFi calling - to avoid high roaming charges, particularly outside EU. They also make no mention of whether texting is supported (important for 2FA messages), so I suspect that they haven't got it working? The list of supported handsets is very limited. Launching 5 years later than Eir, and they still only offer a half-baked service!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Cork981

They also say that calls with fail if you leave WiFi while on a call.

This is not the case with Eir and Vodafone, both translation seamlessly (1 sec loss) from WiFi calling to 4G calling.

This would be a big problem if you leave your house while on a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

vodafone started vo wifi this week

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Was enabled for me today, not working on Xiaomi as yet, not listed as supported either to be fair. Vodafone and Eir both work.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

• Advertisement

It’s starting to look like a very half baked solution compared to what Eir are providing.

It took them 3 years longs than Eir so would have expected a few improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

After all the delays and planning I expected more and full device support Samsung and iPhone listed at least support all the phone currently in their own store.

Sales rep telling me sense April they are taking their time to make sure they don't make the same mistakes as the other operators 😂

I have been using Eir's WiFi calling service since they launched it in 2017 - 5 years ago! It didn't have all the bells and whistles at the start, such as handover to VOLTE - but roaming & SMS have always worked.

I don't really see the advantage of VOLTE without handover to WiFi because I doubt that there are any locations which have 4G or 5G coverage that don't already have 2G or 3G coverage. Voice will fall back to 2G or 3G, so there is no major advantage to the consumer in having VOLTE alone. If the networks eventually switch off 2G, then VOLTE will be important, but I suspect that is some time off, because of the number of embedded IOT devices, cars, alarms etc that have 2G only.

That thread is hilarious! They must be geo-blocking either on IP address or (last known) roaming network. They can't deny both and yet admit that they are geo-blocking the service. This could be particularly important for customers in Ireland who are near the border with Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Anyone know if this also applies for the mvnos under three like tesco and 48?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Interestingly i was in Wales a month ago and wifi calling worked on the hotel wifi. I’m with Vodafone that’s supposed to be geo locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Gonna be a while yet until Three Ireland support iPhones with Wifi calling. How is this so hard given for most other networks, it'll work on a range of phones?

Yeah it’s ridiculous how long it’s taken to implement compared to Eir and Vodafone.

It was supposed to launch late 2022 now saying early 2023.

Really need Wi-Fi calling before I move my primary number to 3 due to poor indoor coverage at home.

Not making excuses - but the operators need to co-operate with different handset vendors to get their WiFi calling server settings embedded in the handset firmware. This differs from most other operator settings for mobile services, which are carried in the SIM card. Eir probably had a head-start by launching back in 2017, and Vodafone in 2019, although Vodafone's service still lacks SMS, and doesn't work when roaming (probably a business decision by them to limit losses of roaming revenue). Three probably weren't able to launch earlier because of too much incompatible legacy equipment in their network, and they probably couldn't keep the handset vendors on board if they didn't have the service working in their network.

There is also likely to be a different business driver for the different networks. Eir had the greatest incentive to launch WiFi calling because it fits well with their Fibre Broadband home and business bundles. Three probably don't like admitting that fibre networks provide better indoor coverage, and they like to pretend that mobile can do everything on its own. Vodafone are likely somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭GIMP

I now have 5g access but no wifi calling or volte access on Xiaomi handset

Advertisement