Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

I'm just fascinated with daddy dropping him in and out of school every day. Would he not just get on the bus with the kids and get dropped off at the end of his road, or at least carpool with some of the other parents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭757TFFIU

I'm wondoring that as well. I was surprised he wasn't removed from the property again.

Perhaps the tactic today was to ignore him and not give him publicity and hope he'd just go away when he couldn't get into the building, given that a file is going to the DPP after his arrest yesterday anyway?

The Dad must be loitering somewhere near enough to the school for the day though, if he's dropping him to the school, then picking him up. I can't imagine him driving from Castlebar to Multyfarnam and back home in the morning, then doing the same again to pick him up from the school. The Dad followed the Garda car to Mullingar yesterday as well. So the Dad clearly has little to be doing with his life.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But it's disruptive to the daily operation of the school.

Doors/Gates have to be locked. People can't come and go the way they should be able to and because he's hanging around there are multiple journalists standing around at the gates looking into every passing car to see if Enoch or one of his family are inside.

It's simply not acceptable.

School need to request and be immediately granted some kind of barring order that keeps him well away from school property and the second he breaks that order (because he will) he needs to be detained by the Gardai and brought in front of a judge and locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Comparing being gay to paedophilia is hatred, going out of your way to spread homophobic bigotry about Katherine Zappone and David Norris and gay people generally is hatred.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Graces7 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Definitely a fail for Mammy Burkes "school" on the Debating and Public speaking course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yes it's unacceptable, but getting arrested, days out in court, appeals, grandstanding, roaring at the judge etc. is seemingly what this family want.

Letting him stand outside in the elements is perhaps the better punishment, rather than in a warm cell where he gets food, has rights and can launch appeals etc. wasting a lot of taxpayers money.

How many days can he sustain the humiliation and ultimately the family will hopefully need to climbdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You kidding me?

This has gone international. The Burkes will be multi-millionaires from the donations from the US alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm surprised trump and the Republican party haven't invited them over yet to speak about how the libs are being mean to them for their god-fearing beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Like in advanced negotiations with Louis Theroux as we speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

This is the same fella who chose to spend almost 4 months in Mountjoy.

If he's let stand outside the school gate or doors til kingdom come he'll do so out of sheer ignorance.

Can't see them going away quietly.

He's not even slightly humiliated. He thinks he's righteous.

He might want to wear his thermals tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

he'll do so out of sheer ignorance

He'll do so because his mammy told him to. That's basically what all this comes down to.

Based on the reporting of his exploits, you'd expect a firebrand Ian Paisley type shouting fire and brimstone at the school gates. Then you see him and he's a timid little mouse who's looking over his shoulder the whole time, wondering is it nearly time for daddy to collect him.

I've some sympathy for him purely because he must have had a hellish upbringing. We're all products of our environment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Don't disagree , but at least if he's in jail or in court he's not at the school interfering in those kids lives anymore.

The authorities should be the ones choosing the location of the battlefield , not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm not so sure.

He was fighting some serious anxiety while arguing with the Principal at the gate yesterday, he was saying the words but his body language said he'd rather be anywhere else on the Planet.

They're a different creature without Mammy and Ammi shouting others down beside them.

My feeling is that just like the Westboro Baptist filth, there are people within that unit too scared NOT to preach the mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you haven’t recognised that media outlets like newspapers and TV are active participants in politics rather than objective reporters, you are incredibly naive. Irish newspapers aren’t quite as bad as the international players, but you don’t have to look too far to see the role that the Mail and the Telegraph played in getting Brexit passed in the UK, with years of anti-immigrant rhetoric based on lies and exaggeration. Look at what Fox News did in the US for Trump, with outright lies to inflame the MAGA crowd, leading ultimately to the near-overthrowing of the democratic government.

Irish newspapers have obvious track records in political activity, back to the “It’s payback time” headline on the Indo that swung the 1997 general election for FF and PDs, reportedly as revenge by Tony O’Reilly for the FG government awarding the mobile phone contract to Telenor, instead of the consortium in which O’Reilly was involved. We’ve seen a concerted campaign in the Sindo to support FF and undermine FG, followed by Ahern appointing Eoghan Harris to the Seanad. The Irish Times is generally a bit more subtle in its campaigning, but it has joined the Indo in a concerted campaign of scaremongering around SF in the past year or so. Even today, we’ve seen the strategic timing of information to undermine the SF attach on Donohue’s postering costs.

Newspapers aren’t passive players, and will make sh1t up, will exaggerate, will withhold information temporarily or permanently as suits their own agenda.

He definitely didn't seem as collected, yesterday. He was repeating himself, and struggling to make his points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Some headlines from the daily mail this past week and you can guess the comments

Christian teacher who spent 100 days behind bars for refusing to use gender-neutral pronouns is SACKED by his school following 'chaotic' disciplinary hearing

Dismissed Christian teacher who spent 100 days in jail after refusing to use gender-neutral pronouns in trans row is arrested after returning to Irish school 

It got some much global attention even Reuters did a fact check on it back in September

But sure the culture war fanatics will twist the truth and their gullible audience will lap it and become more unhinged and psycho over something that didn’t actually happen. Rinse repeat .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

I hope he can keep himself in the news till Halloween. Should be an easy enough to put together costume.

• Advertisement

But maybe the school are choosing the location, and letting it be outside the school door - for now.

I'm sure the kids can handle this, compared to say, Holy Cross, it's tame.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If you can’t see why turning up to a school, that you have no business being in, is weird then quite frankly I don’t know what else to tell you.

They don’t get to make choices for other people about choosing and participating. They don’t get to choose which of their employer’s policies they will comply with, if they want to remain in employment.

What's really telling is they seem to have zero following.

Even the most obscure election candidates get votes, Graham O'Dwyer has fans, anti 5G master protestors have some numbers.

I've not seen of anybody come out and support or defend them on any platform.

Are you saying that Burke was correct and that the principal was incorrect?

In case you forgot, other people had to physically step between him and the principal to protect her from his abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thread title should be changed to reflect the new legal situation.

They don’t have security. They have a principal who has hundreds of better things to be doing acting as a bouncer, because Burke can’t face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KAMG

I'm sure there are plenty of trees he could go for a slash behind on the grounds. That's hardly the biggest conundrum in this whole fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just out of curiosity. Does he not drive himself?

Why does he need daddy to taxi him?

What did he do in the past for lifts to work?

To thine own self be true

Advertisement