Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Race Thread 2023 **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Vuelta announced route today - Tourmalet and Angliru feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

They're also going up to the village of Bejes. The full climb is known as Salto la Cabra - "The Jump of the Goats". I don't think they're doing the top section but if they do it's utterly insane looking. Last few km on concrete, 10% average gradient

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just to follow on from the kit discussion earlier. As we near the first races of the road season LR has cast his critical eye over all the announced kits:-

Some of the kits remind me of cigarette packs from the 70s for some reason. I think my favourite is FDJ but as LR points out it is going to be harder to single out teams as so many of them have similar colours. I also agree that EF was better last year and now looks like it got mixed with whites in the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

T-bo P-no to retire at the end of the year. l'll miss that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Heartbreaking but not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cavendish spotted at Alicante airport

A novel TT to get the TdU started.

Also Cavendish confirmed for Astana.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just catching up on Stage 3 of the Women's Santos Tour and for the second day in a row no audio for the interviews. Ridiculous really. Anyway felt bad for Spratt. Caught again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement

Gesink broke his pelvis in Australia this morning. Tough one for a 36 year old to come back from.

He looked like he hit is head really hard as well, thought it was concussion that saw him abandon. That's a tough one

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Jay Vine claimed his first World Tour victory in the Tour Down Under, third professional race. I've a feeling it could be a quite good year for Jay. Can't wait to watch Sam in the Vuelta a San Juan later this evening, it would be so great to see him kick off the season with a win. He's up against serious competition though.

I reckon him an Ayuso are clear No. 2's at UAE behind Pog, ahead of Yates, Almeida, McNulty etc.

CX in the sun today, big 3 in action in Benidorm. The women with Pieterse & Van Empel starting shortly. Interested to see what the course is like...

Yep will gladly hold my hands up and say I was wrong criticising his move to UAE, I thought he was just going to be flogged as a domestique. I know it’s only the TDU but I can see him being a co-leader on other stage races.

Weird seeing WVA in standard Jumbo kit

Fantastic sprint from Sam, another unreal lead out from Van Poppel.

Could be a phenomenal year for the two of them

Good win and a confidence booster to beat Jakobsen... eh I mean Morkov.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Remco riding like a man possessed but missed the road split and took Jacobsen with him leaving Bora and Sam to win easily.

Nice start to the season

• Advertisement

It looked like the Jakobsen bunch slowed thinking they were stuck on the wrong side but if they had kept going they would have easily joined up. I suppose a .Pro race doesn't warrant all that much research.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hooray for Sam, looked comfy at the end, van Poppel done a hell of a lead out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Van der Poel with trademarked van der Poel theatrics after the finish line in Benidorm yesterday.

Yes, I am just bitter about the result.

Nairo decided not to join Miguel Angel Lopez at Medellin anyways, announcing his retirement from pro cycling in the next couple days apparently

Pictures gone in Argentina, 20km from the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Sam holds the leaders jersey for another day after coming third.

Amazing steal by Simmons though to take the stage, well timed attack.

It was, love those late stage flyers when they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Simmons isn't everyone's cup of tea but i do like the lad and delighted to see him take a win. He could be a factor in the early classics this year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Can't decide if van Poppel letting Richeze go was bad tactics or a master-stroke. With the two away, the best Jakobsen could have got was third and gained a four seconds bonus. Bringing it all together would have risked losing 10 seconds if Jakobsen won and Sam finished off the podium, as happened the day before. All depends on whether Bora having the leaders jersey for another day in Argentina is worth throwing away the chance of a stage win, I suppose.

• Advertisement

I imagine it was more that they had the jersey so its someone elses to chase and do the hard work when its not a threat to them, they chase and waste energy they had a higher chance of losing. I would have to imagine that a stage win would be worth more sponsors wise. Not sure what the financial reward for holding it another day is.

Advertisement