Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You said unjustly fired, which meant you already had an anti tran bias. Jim isn't an idiot, picked up on it and blocked you as you obviously had an agenda.

Get over yourself. Here's a song to help:

As for unjustly fired. Kara was the face of LRG dealing with their customers. If they associate with fat right accounts and have anti trans prejudice the. You would rightfully fire them to protect the company because having someone like in that position is harmful to the companies reputation and sales.

They did what was right for the company and did it within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

She joined LRG in November 2020, the Tweet was made in 2016. So it is her own account and is unconnected to the LRG Twitter account or her job.

Looking at her twitter feed it's all very nice stuff she posts, games she is playing, friends she is meeting, and what tv she is watching. Occasional mention of LRG like saying it has been two years since she started and she likes it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah. Whatever about the story itself, jumping into Sterling's replies - in a wrestling tweet - with a loaded question (about a subject Sterling will be particularly sensitive about) and then linking to a right-wing culture war YouTube account as a citation is probably what got you blocked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was going from memory from a quick Google of what I found yesterday just to see what the post made was referring to, but I didn't pay too much attention to what was said by who or when. So yes, I got the details wrong in my general recollection, but I don't think it's that completely different either, the general gist is the same. And I think it was somewhat of an over-reaction on all their parts.

But yes I think you purposefully tweeted at Sterling because you were trying to point out perceived hypocrisy, given that Sterling is a member of the trans community and hadn't commented on the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doesn't matter if it was in the past, she was young and foolish at the time and didn't realise who she was following, in these cases ignorance is not a defence. Her continued employment at LRG was a threat to the business. She should take it as a lesson that your past does follow you and can negatively affect your life.

I'm not sure what she is complaining about. She could have easily hid this stuff but she was either too stupid too or too much of an asshole to. It's all on her. She got herself fired and LRG responded in the only way they could.

Think of it this way, imagine the **** LRG would get of they kept her on, and rightfully so. It would hurt their bottom line just to protect someone with far right leanings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bring back the thunderdome or duke it out in an arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

This is where I think the company comes off badly. If they genuinely cared about fostering the environment they claimed in her dismissal tweet, her socials should have been vetted as part of the review process - which would have meant either she wasn’t hired at all or those tweets would have been discussed with her, where she would have been clearly told that tweets of that nature are against the companies values.

Instead it just looks like a company trying to get ahead of some bad press. You would imagine in future if they’re going to hire someone to essentially be an online representative for them they’ll be more careful about it in future.

How much time do you think they had to trawl through someone's socials before the interview and do this for every candidate? They are a pretty small company.

If they didn't do that then she was hired in good faith and she broke that trust with them with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

She said in a Twit Longer post that she was going to be finishing up at the end of January anyway as she was burnt out in the role and LRG were pretty generous in their severance pay.

This honestly seems like a load of shìte over nothing.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss7qv2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

They don’t have to do it beforehand - do the interviews, get a shortlist of preferred candidates and then review their socials as part of the final decision process. Shouldn’t really take that long then and I really think if you’re going to allow someone to represent you online that it should be a requirement.

I’d also argue that she broke faith with the employer if she hasn’t tweeted anything anti-trans since working there. She might have even forgotten that she had tweeted about it and should at least have been given a chance to apologise.

• Advertisement

In fairness, following the Libsoftiktok account would be a huge red flag for a person's beliefs, would have been something she did in recent times (ie. While working for LRG), and it's not the sort of account you follow by accident or because you're a fan of work they've done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wow. Just wow! "Right wing nutcase" "evil disgusting human". You get that from Kara? It's her personal Twitter account. She didn't post anything bad.

One of the owners of Limited Run Games.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh

"Tweets don't reflect the views of my employer."

North Carolina is an at-will State, meaning they don't have to give you a reason, they can fire you just like that and you can't sue for wrongful dismissal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, that account is repugnant and clearly designed to orchestrate hate campaigns against LGBT people, only proven by the account holder's public remarks and beliefs.

I do think the whole firing situation is a bit of a mess and I find it hard to come down on it one way or the other. On one hand, firing people over accounts they merely follow and one or two tweets they made years ago (potentially when they were still a teenager or in their early 20s) is very questionable. I also don't for a second agree with US states where people can just be fired 'at will' without any space for recourse - that's awful employment law. On the other hand, it's important for inclusive workplaces that hatred against minority groups isn't tolerated. I simply don't know enough about the exact circumstances in this case to come to a firm conclusion. I'm leaning towards it's an over-reaction to fire her (a lighter reprimand may have been more appropriate), but if there's a wider pattern of transphobia there beyond following one or two awful accounts or tweeting casually about Hogwarts Legacy (to be clear: I think people are 100% allowed to tweet casually about Hogwarts Legacy, and I say that as someone who is not a fan of Rowling's recent behaviour), then that's a different story.

I do think the statement by the employee involved linked above is a pretty mature response all things considered, but I did raise an eyebrow at the 'my only hesitation is when children get involved' remark. A lot of modern transphobia and wider homophobia is based around hysterically accusing people in the LGBT community of being 'groomers' and pedophiles, which is pure old-school gay panic ****. It's unclear if that's what she's referring to in her statement though. I don't think she'll do herself any favours if she's exclusively planning to speak to various culture warrior types in her podcast and YouTube tour either.

Yeah I'm mostly along the same lines myself. If she just posted she was looking forward to Hogwarts Legacy, it was an over-reaction for the trans-activist to target them. If she's following certain accounts, however repugnant, it shouldn't really matter if she's not doing stuff like retweeting them etc. But then we don't know what discussions were had between her and her employers regarding if she'd be willing to stop following those accounts, put out a statement or whatever, or obviously if she was due to leave the company anyway then it wouldn't have really mattered either way. As I said, I believe it all felt like a bit of an over-reaction from everyone involved.

But anyone who likes or supports Libsoftiktok can get in the f*cking bin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no idea what Libsoftiktok is and I'm too afraid to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

RUN! RUN PIXELBURP! SAVE YOURSELF! IT'S TOO LATE FOR US, BUT YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE! RUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!

There is so much 'internet stuff' that alas I have rotting in my brain but would happily pay money to purge, Eternal Sunshine style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

Oh yeah. Some of us are old enough to have received invitations to Lemon Party, or recipes for Blue Waffles. Compared to these libsoftictok is nothing.

*don't search, just don't.*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Oh my, wait until you read into the person that reported her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I didn't know Sterling is trans/non-binary now. Just a disclaimer before anyone jumps down my throat for saying Jim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In other news: the latest AI tech from Nvidia might ensure your Twitch streams become a shade more uncomfortable, as hosts will never stop staring directly at you...

Yeah, came out maybe 2 years or so ago. Also an amateur wrestler now in the UK. To be honest I don't watch as much of their videos now as I used to, but just because they became fairly repetitive and unnecessarily longer (so therefore repetition within the videos themselves, not just repetition of topics). Feels like they do less of a deep dive into the topics by discussing or researching things, and instead just rant a bit more. But fair play to them, they seem a lot happier in general and seems to be doing really well with the amateur wrestling.

With all the advancement in technology that brought us to this AI revolution, this is what it will be used for.

I'm glad they feel happier with their own personal lives, but I had to unsubscribe because the constant staring into the abyss that informed their videos, coupled with the wrestling stuff, put me right off. Stoped enjoying their humour and subjects when it was just despairing rant after another. Negativity definitely drives clicks and views on the internet - but balance is important for "serious" creators IMO.

I actually was quite a fan of Sterling's reviews and 'Jimpressions' videos - quite entertaining and always brutally honest. But yeah the Jimquisition rants - which are now the bulk of the content - are very one-note and I barely watch any of their stuff anymore alas. I think an important part of criticism is to explore why things are good as much as why things are bad, otherwise you can just sort of get locked into a negativity vortex where it's just endlessly complaining about how everything is awful. Endless good games out there that need attention more than the world needs another Square-Enix rant or whatever the case may be (as much as I believe in holding those shite companies to account).

They have pointed out on Twitter a lot previously that the majority of positive videos they do get less than half the views of the negative ones, and so they'd do the occasional positive one but just had to veer more towards the negative ones. It's why I began watching more Jimpressions videos instead, as they'd usually be playing/reviewing a game they wanted to play and enjoyed rather than just complaining for 15 minutes that Randy Pitchford said something. But even the Jimpressions videos fell by the wayside as Sterling began focusing more on the wrestling stuff. Even the Jimquisition videos often start or end with clips from their wrestling performances now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Turns out that making sure your console is more energy efficient thus costing your users less on energy bills is bad.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/xbox-becomes-first-carbon-aware-console-not-everyone-happy-woke-brigade-video-games

• Advertisement

Yep I miss their reviews as they were often well put together criticisms, despite being totally wrong about Breath of the Wild. And they were one of the first people to extoll the virtues of Deadly Premonition while pointing out David Cage as a hack.

Advertisement