Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skinheads waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I know a couple of them. They're big into the ska and grand lads.

Its likely they just discovered the This is England movie/tv show etc. Super stuff tbf

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skaman98

Hiya I'm a part of that group and we didn't just watch the movie and become skinheads. The music is the backbone of the subculture

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skaman98

Part of that group we're about good music and dancing. Have a look online about the origins of the skinhead subculture

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Always interesting to see our tribal instincts, we 're a funny breed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Take the Skinheads Bowling.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Great scene. As said earlier if people actually knew about the origins of the skinhead movement they would know that racism has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact it's the very opposite. The ska nights around the town are some of the best nights around. Wouldn't be a mod or skin myself but love the music etc. They want to have their hair a certain way and dress a certain way. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Hodger

Great scene. As said earlier if people actually knew about the origins of the skinhead movement they would know that racism has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact it's the very opposite. The ska nights around the town are some of the best nights around. Wouldn't be a mod or skin myself but love the music etc. They want to have their hair a certain way and dress a certain way. Fair play to them.

I used to dress a certain way myself one time going through a phase for a period of time. Sometimes when a person dresses and looks a certain way some people are curious as the original post who started this thread said in one of his replies.
    Imagine, but no joke they've got the boots and the bombers and I've been seeing alot more of them around lately and was
    wondering what they're about

I used to wear certain items at that time when I going through that phase I would get asked the odd time why do you wear that ? and so on. Also at that time I was doing a fas course one particular lad on the course started on me one day due to the way I dressed at that time he thought something about me looked gay it went from words being exchanged to a fight but needless to say he never started on me again afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

When are the Rockers arriving ..... ?

"we are the mods, we are the mods..."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Do skin heads etc ‘suit up’ when going for say a job interview or to a wedding and other formal occasions or is the attitude ‘eff them, I won’t be judged on how I look or dress’..?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

greenspurs wrote:
    When are the Rockers arriving ..... ?

Oh we 're already here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yep.
    Scruffs on, ready to romp.

:D:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Waterford water front theatre putting on a performance of The Warriors perhaps.

Somewhere out there on that horizon
    Out beyond the neon lights
    I know there must be somethin' better
    But there's nowhere else in sight…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Hodger wrote: »
    but needless to say he never started on me again afterwards.

Yeah, right, more like not as much fun for him dishing out a subsequent beating and he probably didn't like getting make up on his fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Yeah, right, more like not as much fun for him dishing out a subsequent beating and he probably didn't like getting make up on his fists.

Put your handbags away girls, posturing and gesticulating is all done on twitbook these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Skaman98 wrote: »
    Hiya I'm a part of that group and we didn't just watch the movie and become skinheads. The music is the backbone of the subculture

My humour obviously didn't translate well there.

I have skinheads and mods dating back to the 70s in my family :)

My other point stands though, brilliant movies/TV shows

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGom

Mods are Gods. infidels!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

TheGom wrote: »
    Mods are Gods. infidels!

Well done, it even reads like graffiti!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭skaface

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Well done, it even reads like graffiti!

Plenty of graffiti on walls back in the day of Ska, Mods, Skins, Madness, Jam, Specials etc..
    Not much evidence of it left around anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There's always been a healthy vespa/scooter scene in Waterford... I'm sure it's just an extension of that scene... These things tend to come and go in waves.

I got into punk in the 90s, went to a stiff little fingers gig with a bunch of my friends sisters friends who were much older and around when punk was new �� they went ****ing mad at that gig, were full on giving it loads, dressed the part etc... Met them again at various stages and realised even punks end up with jobs in banks, respectable haircuts, suits and nice brogues...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I saw four skins yesterday

What ever turns you on , each to their own. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭skaface

I see Madness have announced a Dublin date on their Christmas Tour this year.. Be a good few head up to this from Waterford I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eddie r

Im getting skinhead my whole life nothing to do with nazis or far right its just tidy and i dont know aby skinheads into that nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was there ever a Beatnik community in Waterford ??

Im a 90s child but its amazing how the cultures like Skinheads/mods/Goths/Emos etc stick out too our generation.

The kids nowadays def live in a different time and theres so many 'cultures' around. Has its negatives but a lot of positives too. Baggy pants is not the fashion now whatsoever ha

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

its fantastic to see subcultures around the town, be it mods,skins,punks,goths,skaters,they stand out so much compared to their peers in grey tracksuit bottoms,Nike air whatevers and North Face puffer jackets.Its a shame that there is no venue in for them in town like a Metroland/Roxy/Forum where they could hold gigs/nights rather than specialized nights in one or two pubs every couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

As far as I know Tierneys/Kervicks is the spot for mods in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

That's only one of the places where the odd night out is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

The people who judge others on their image are the actual weirdos. Why would you actually care, mind yer own!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Hodger

I noticed this " Deise skinheads " spraypaint logo the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I don't really see the point in doing it tbh. Its kinda cringe. Dress whatever you want but don't vandalise buildings with tacky graffiti.

Advertisement