Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That seems to be the way on here with Irish golfers. You can only compliment them. No criticism or negativity allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

He'll be fairly disappointed with his final round I'd hope there are no lingering effects from it. For R3 he could have had 1-2 more birdies to hold the outright lead. I thought that he was too far behind to win when the wheels came off. The bogeys on the front 9 dented any early momentum.

I didn't realise it but he was #1 for GIR% last year on the DP tour but #178 for putts per GIR. Although it's a smaller number of events vs PGA tour. He was 9th in SG Approach on PGA Tour by comparison but well down on SG putting #115 (.007 inside tour average).

Any improvement or purple patch in putting and he's lifting some more silverware. Long season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a lot more older than Padraig Harrington too and the old man reference is still fitting. It's a reference to his age in comparison to his fellow competitors and I can't believe you don't understand that.

And criticising Shane for having an awful round is fair too. You don't have to idolise the guy all the time even if you are a huge fan of the man like I am.

You might note if/before you respond to my post that the only negative comments I've ever posted in this thread were about his par five performance over the last couple of years which I felt were holding him back. It looks like he has fixed that now and I haven't posted about it in quite a while as a result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Attack the post folks, not the poster, we're all entitled to our opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m not a huge fan of Lowry, I want him to well because he’s Irish but that’s about it.

I was more concerned with the nonsense of what you were saying, rather than who you were saying it about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

Ok , I get your distinction . What I'm really struggling to understand is how my humble inoffensive post can be characterised as 'nonsense'.

I said Shane 's round had imploded. If going 6 over in 4 holes isn't an implosion I don't know what is. Other posters referred to this stretch , as a 'collapse' , a 'meltdown' and a 'capitulation' -equally valid descriptions .

I then gave a factual statistic which hardly qualifies as 'nonsense'. My reference to 'old man Harrington' was simply a light-hearted jest of the kind that most people would readily understand . I know attempts at humour are risky on a forum ....but 'nonsense' ? Wouldn't think so.

I may not be the most informed contributor but I have to reject any suggestion that anything I post here is 'nonsense. I have no wish to get involved in any sort of acrimonious exchanges and try to bear goodwill to everyone. After all we're united sportsmen/women who want our Irish stars to do well. Nobody would be more thrilled than me if our Irish golfers Harrington, Lowry ,Maguire, McIlroy, Meadows and Power (NB alphabetical order !) were to mop up more titles and majors .They've done us proud already .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

What makes you think that I didn’t understand the point you were making about Padraig’s age? My remark about being a lot older than Padraig was clearly tongue in cheek. I can’t believe you didn’t understand that.

I’m not a great fan of people using sarcasm to try and make a point.

Post edited by abff on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,321 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't make the comment. My only post was a response to your post which came across as serious. Maybe use smileys or exclamation marks etc. to show you are having a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

Fair enough. I should have checked to whom I was responding. It didn’t occur to me that anyone would think that I’d actually take offence at a comment about Padraig’s age. 😁🧌

Flicked on the coverage briefly this morning to see Shane stick a pured iron to 5ft on the par 3 7th. Unfortunately he didn't make it.

However, it didn't fluster Lowry. Next two drives were absolutely perfect and his approach just now on 9 was excellent too. I know he's only half way through a delayed R1 but I'd love to see that putter warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Those irons were red hot in the early part of last year and key to how well he played at The Masters.

His iron play was elite. He ranked 1st in SG approach heading to Augusta...1st!

I can also see him winning this season if he keeps the irons going.

Irons and putting in a Major & he'll be there or thereabouts.

Rest of his game is fine, it's his hot/cold putter that determines everything, he's acknowledged this himself many times over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Stephen Sweeney is his putting coach, he's Irish too. The same lad as Morikawa recently brought on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

And just like that he’s on his way to the airport

His head appeared to be in meltdown. Appeared he told Molinari to go ahead while he took a a moment and next thing he hits another shot.

It will take a few weeks to get over his desert swing I would guess no matter what he says to media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Absolute crap start to the year. Shane needs to stop talking to media about how he feels about his game.This usually consists of him talking it up. He is a very inconsistent player who needs to get his head down to try and sort that out.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor start to the year, by no means a cert for the Ryder cup and needs to put the foot down.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

So Shane and Beau are no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Interesting. It must have weighed on his mind these last few weeks.

Personally, I liked to see him pick a more disciplined replacement than a Guinness guzzling buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭benny79

I actually taught they were a good team helped him keep his head when he won The Open! I wonder what happened there? They seemed to get on and have a good connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

He reckones the spark is gone and it was on the cards for a while.

Two strong characters

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In fairness it seems amicable and so it's just something that ran its course. It happens, and if as reported is true and they talked about it a few weeks back, maybe it should have happened then

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They seem to have split amicably based on the Indo article. Seemingly they lost the spark/mojo.

I don't have a clue really but it always struck me that neither of them really enjoy the amount of travel / time on the road / time away from home that comes with being a top golfer / caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

There were definite signs last year that their professional relationship had run it's course, maybe should have happened then.

That's all well and good but far away fields are always greener, this caddy lifted Shane to new heights, hopefully it's not just press and they part as buddies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

I met Bo once or twice and he’s a gent, probably too much of a gent I think when it came to Lowry. He took an awful lot of flak when Lowry spat the dummy out. It happens with every player but seemed to happen quite a lot with them. Bo, despite his appearance, is a young enough chap and has a small child as well so that may have also played a factor. Lowry can afford to have his kids travel with him, his caddy can’t.

Pr company says it was amicable. I wouldn’t expect anything else they’d say. It could have been a screaming match for all we know but company isn’t going to say that.

• Advertisement

I wonder will the brother step in to fill a gap for 1-2 events or if he'll take a seasoned caddy in the interim. Maybe he's already got someone lined up in the background.

No doubt Lowry has huge respect and a great deal of gratitude for Bo's efforts over the years. Sometimes the formula is stale and a shake-up is needed for both sides. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bo take on another gig after a bit of time off.

Advertisement