Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

To think I once held out such hopes for Shapovalov. It's backwards he seems to be going. Haven't been following much tennis of late, but is there a reason for this? Is he fully committed? Couldn't be if he's worse than he was at a younger age surely?

Djokovic will probably win another slam. You really do have to wonder, is it purely developments in strength and conditioning, and the advancements in the science of it, that can lead to such longevity?

I suppose the same is happening in other sports, and if that's the case, the record books are very inflated for the big 3, in contrast to ex pros. And 20+ slams relatively may not be such a huge feat, if in the future guys are staying at the top till 40.

Sampras looked like an "oldish" man when he retired, 32 was it? These guys still look as good as ever. If Sampras came 10 years later would be still be going too, with the advancements in science and conditioning?

Agassi put in a huge performance in the 05 US Open against Federer and probably should of taken a second set. But it was a huge effort to raise his level at that age, again an "old player", and he looked every bit a player on his last legs. Now lads still in prime at 35.

I don't think the big 3 are 10+ slams better than Agassi, or indeed Sampras, I think the latter were every bit as good, same for the top guys in any era. Natural talent doesn't improve generation to generation, the external factors do. It's just a bit jarring I find looking at the slam count now, completely lopsided and inflated. Hard to know what to make of it tbh, is 20+ slams that impressive if lads now have an extra 5+ years to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I thought the field in 2001 was quite strong tbh. Stronger than say 05/06/07 for example

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Swiatek out to Rybakina in straight sets. A surprise but not a shock, Rybakina is a top ten player who's ranked #25. I'd be pretty happy to see Rybakina go far here, her Wimbledon win has been almost totally ignored and she's been stuck primarily on the outside courts for all this tournament.

Will be interesting to see how Swiatek responds to this. It's a long time to RG and she's defending a huge amount of points over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Sampras and Agassi don't appear to have had much love for Tennis outside of them being great at it.

The big 3 seem to be obsessed with it.Their pure love for it is what has helped elevate them above Sampras and Agassi's level combined with their talent.I'm sure Sampras could easily have played on for a few more years and picked up a few more slams if he really wanted to but he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sinner fairly putting it up to Tsitsipas after going 2 sets down.

Some fabulous tennis going on.

Can't pick a winner, think it'll be down to mental strength rather then ball skills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What a finish for Tsitsipas. I thought he was a gonner in the 5th. How quickly it can change. A pity the 2 met so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Xander10

I see Paul Kimmage has a tennis article in today's Sindo. Behind a paywall. Presume it's his usual topic about drugs in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Tsitsipas still a bit flakey, I can't see him beating Djokovic if his level is going to fluctuate like that over five sets. Looks like it's Djokovic vs his own hamstring for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted for Azarenka, even if she made hard work of that. Back in the Australian Open QF's for the first time in seven years.

Eurosport commentator seems to think it's her first time back in any grand slam QF in six years, completely forgetting she made the US Open final in 2020.

Also, mad seeing her being interviewed on court by the now retired Laura Robson. Laura is four years younger and they once played each other in an Olympic final!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic putting on a masterclass against De Minaur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Impossible to see past him at this rate, hamstring or not.

Boris Becker is questioning whether there is a hamstring injury, the way he played tonight you'd have to think he might be right. Hard to look past Djokovic now with what is left in the tournament. Eurosport just cut to an ad break in the middle of the on court interview, so annoying.

Tbh, was thinking likewise, but then again what does he have to gain from faking it? Must be some slight issue and he is just being extra cautious. In saying that, none of the scrubs he has played have really tested the hamstring, run him from side-to-side and up-and-down the court. Of course he has done this in spurts, but has been able to play offensively enough to avoid doing it for long periods. Awful shame Alcaraz isn't here, as he would test the conditioning for sure. Of the players left, I don't give them a prayer.

You are probably right about the injury, considering he just said that the injury is getting better. Alcaraz would have been a good test for Djokovic. I don't there is anyone that can really touch him at the moment.

You just knew Caroline Garcia would throw away a chance at making her first grand slam final. Magda Linette ffs 🙄

Disappointed Rune lost. He might have stood a small chance against Djoko in the QF's, Rublev unfortunately has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Tsitsipas looked good today, was surprised LeHecka didn't do more, he has done well this tournament.

Magda Linette is not the Polish person we expected in the SF's!

Djokovic looking his usual dominant self today. Hard to see who can touch him with the players left.

Definitely not Tommy Paul anyway.

Djokovic is playing top class tennis, there's no doubt about that. But I'm becoming increasingly forlorn at the state of the men's game. The fact that himself and Nadal can still win slams at 35, and often injured, is a damning indictment. Yes, they have added aspects to their games (Djokovic's serve in particular), and are looking to continually improve, but are they fundamentally better than they were ten years ago at 25? I don't believe so, it's just that no one in the current field can consistently expose them.

I long for the days of Ferrer, Nishikori, Cilic, del Potro, etc. who - whilst being a bit of a "lost generation" - at least made things competitive against the Big4. This "new gen" are simply pathetic. Apart from Alcaraz. Even Medvedev has completely crumbled since last years final. Can't see any of the 3 left (especially poor Tommy Paul!) having a remote chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What's very noticeable with the latest Gen (mostly) is their lack of creativity, and that they can't move the old fellas around the court. Whether they are in awe, or just unable (Which I think), they keep hitting it straight back to ND and Rafa who will then take every opportunity to move them around. It could also be the courts being noticeably slower in the US and AO the last couple of years, or the balls that seem to be taking some of the blame this year.

The only ones that seem able to generate angles are Sinner and Medvedev, who has fallen off a cliff since he won the US. He looked in real trouble from the 2nd round this year.

You could see why Fed held on so long, apart from the odd result like Hubie, he was able for most of the top 10, even at 39/40. Game is in a sad state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭josip

de Minaur didn't take his defeat particularly well earlier in the week, implying in the press conference that Djokovic was exaggerating his hamstring injury. While many of us would have an open mind about it, and can discuss it openly here, bringing it up in the presser after you've been thrashed in straight sets isn't a good look. No love lost between the two of them after last year.

Medvedev basically said after last year's final that the fans could go and fúck themselves and he'd only be playing for the money from now on, not hugely surprising to see he's regressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PeigGotMoreAction

Quite a "narrative"

Djokovic has been a beast at the AO since Fed was supposed to be "in his prime" in his mid-twenties.

Federer beat Djokovic a single time ever there - in 2007 when Fed he was 25 and Djokovic 19.

They played 4 more times at the Australian open and Fed managed what - to win a single solitary set in total over the next 4 best of 5 set matches.

Lost the very next year in 2008 when Fed was 26, the next time Fed was still under 30 too! both times in straight sets.

Nadal has never beaten Djokovic even once in Australia (compared to Djokovic winning twice over Nadal at his best slam at RG)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure what your post has to do with the points whiterrbel was making.

Thanks, I was wondering quite what that rant was about. Makes sense now.

Really looking forward to seeing how the women's side pan's out. Anyone but Linette winning is a great result for me to be honest.

Azarenka winning it again out of nowhere would be fantastic. Has had a long, terrific career with never quite enough slams to show for it. Had the misfortune of peaking when Serena was playing some of her best tennis, as well as being one of the few women who could actually give her a run for her money.

Rybakina has been utterly disrespected since Wimbledon, almost as if most want to forget it ever happened. Would be delighted for her to prove it wasn't a one off event.

Sabalenka has been a mainstay at the top of the game for much of the 3 to 4 years and she's still only 24. She's won many big titles already, so feels like a grand slam is the next natural step.

As admirable as Linette's run has been, I think the last thing women's tennis needs is a 30 year old journeyman winning a grand slam out of nowhere. But I don't think it'll happen! Predicting a Rybakina-Sabalenka final with the former winning.

As for the men's side, even trying to my dislike of Djoko aside, surely him cantering to yet another win is only enjoyable if you're a Djoko fan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Could someone please gave Novak a challenge

Advertisement