Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options
1737475767779»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

All stores to close by June 24th. The Waterford one has looked a bit down on its luck the last few days that I’ve been in. Still a shock. They must have started operating here nearly 30 years ago.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A few places have closed in January for a break, presumably where they have a small staff and they all worked hard over Christmas and the run up to it. Trade is probably quiet enough in Jan as well. I wouldn't say that means they are closing down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

I see one out of three, walkers closed for 2 weeks so that staff who worked through the Christmas period with little time off, could get some time off, by the looks of thinks Bridgefoot are doing the same, Knox flagged well in advance that they would close for the winter when they would be quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mod: This isn't a competition so cut it out. I clearly asked you not to post about businesses closing unless it was formally announced. Apart from Argos which is a national closure you again posted details of 2 other businesses that are closed short term only and intend opening again. You appear to be gloating about the closures in an attempt to justify your post from last year and get one over on the forum mod. That ends here. Show a bit of respect to the Argos workers who were only told this morning that they will be losing their jobs and I don't think they will be too impressed with the gloating here.

If you wish to respond to my comments then please do so by PM.

• Advertisement

Wednesday (10am-9pm) to Sunday (11am till 4pm)

Yes. In other words, it hasn’t closed, you were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

2 clothes shops beside each other on Wine St seemed to close very suddenly, just a couple of doors up from Fabio's. Everything seemed normal, then 1 day last week there was closing down sale signs up and all the stock was nearly gone. Both closed today, but it is Sunday. FTK was the name of 1, can't remember the other.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Someone in the forum only recommended In Stitches to me recently but looks like Louise is closing down the business at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Raging to see St. Honoré are closing permanently next week. Going there was such a treat.

Another one, oh dear. I hope this is not a trend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

Baker Boys has been closed down by the FSA. The report on it doesn’t make for pleasant reading.

That was a week or two ago, they have since reopened. I agree that the report in unpleasant reading but I'm assuming they would not have been allowed to reopen without rectifiying the issues.

Report here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Maybe so now but allowing it to get that bad in the first place is the bigger question...

Ball was well dropped & I'm sure this will affect their reputation for a while, I for one will not go back in the short term...(Same with Shells)

But I am grateful to see the FSA doing these inspections locally, can give some confidence that they are being checked...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

I don't disagree @BronsonTB very disappointing to read about the extent of the issue.

OH is a big fan of both BBs and Shells but I will be giving BBs a wide berth for the time being, it's not somewhere we'd go too often maybe once every 6-8 weeks at a guess.

It’s completely unacceptable that this could have happened. My understanding is that the issue was rampant throughout the premises and not confined to one particular location. It had to be obvious that there was a problem long before it was pointed out to them. And why did it take the FSA to point it out? The conclusion there is that the issue would have continued to be ignored. If that lack of basic hygiene and good housekeeping was ignored in one of their premises what guarantee is there that the exact same thing isn’t happening in the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭waywill1966

They don’t look very clean themselves!

They have no problem charging enough at the tills, think they might have taken a look at the floors once in a while.

• Advertisement

Found it very strange on their FB page that a post put up by someone that detailed the findings of the FSA was deleted a few minutes later.

Baker Boys cafe in Finisklin to close their doors on Thursday this week

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3PsbMSN_KP/?igsh=OXhscXhudTB5N2N5

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Every other restaurant working hard to keep up standards to keep the business going and this lot can’t be bothered to adhere to standard hygiene practices!

Sorry to see this announcement this evening, Andersons to close

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not good for Sligo at all. Hopefully there won't be any more business closures in the town. Feel sorry for the staff.

Yes I was very surprised at Andersons, especially with the venue space. The Comedy Festival next week have had to change venue for 3 of their gigs that were scheduled to be in there. Hopefully that's it for closures for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tumblefull

Very sad about Andersons, great venue, a huge loss for the town and the staff owners.

Very tough time for anyone in business, the VAT rate has gone up, minimum wages, new mandatory pension enrollement on the way ....good for staff but a lot of extra cost and admin for the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Big loss with Andersons esp for us organising the 'Sligo Whiplash' Festival, now in serious doubt, which is a real shame.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Oh that's awful, is it meant to be soon? I'm sure another venue would be able to take you. Só Comedy Festival relocated a few gigs to the Clayton at short notice if that is of any help. There's also an events and festival co-ordinator in Sligo CoCo now as well who might be able to help?

• Advertisement

Another announcement today, Eithna's by the Sea in Mullaghmore have decided they will close permanently.

Advertisement