Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Djokovic's side of the draw looking very light now. You might end up watching him play someone like Dan Evans 😱

He doesn't like the heat though does he, he'll probably be on at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Couacaud took the 2nd set against Djokovic to level it up but Djokovic has broken him straight away in the 3rd.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ND pulling the wounded soldier routine? He’s Not impressed with the crowd pulling for the underdog.

Zverev gone as well, 3 double faults in one game, back to his old habits. Mmoh who beat him as an Irish mother, Thevdraw has opened up for him big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What an absolutely brilliant point from Murray there. Kokkinakus had about 3 smashes and Murray gets them all back and then goes on wins the point. Kokkinakus should have won the point 3 or 4 times. Murray still 2 sets down and 2-1 down in the third, Kokkinakus needs to hold the head here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Murray - Kokkinakks going 5.. at 3 in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Madness.

Great resolve by Andy again but I do wonder if it will end up worth what he has put his body through in the long term

If Murray wins, I can't see him winning the next round. Unbelievable that it is still going, thought Kokkinakis had it won in the third set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Love to see Murray battling away! Always had a lot of admiration for him. One of the great "what ifs" if his body hadn't completely broken down in 2016. Definitely could have added more slams imo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bloody hell...even if Murray ends up losing this 5 setter...people for a second shouldn't doubt his commitment!

• Advertisement

Unbelievable. No other words.

Delighted for Murray, but that's some loss for Kokkinakks. Squandering a two set lead and even served for the match. Think he had a 5-2 lead in the 3rd set too? Lordy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just class from Murray. What a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭al87987

Murray is such a competitor, that was an amazing watch. Can't believe it ended after 5pm our time. They really need to start those night sessions earlier but I ain't complaining.

I am still getting over the fact that Murray won that match, I went for a tennis lesson at 2.30 and he was hanging by a thread in the third set and I thought it was all over. I came home an hour later and checked the scores and couldn't believe the match was still going. I thought the site and froze or wasn't updating.

Like him or Loath him but no one can deny what absolute warrior Andy Murray is. I said above that if he won this match I can't see him winning the next match against Batista-Agut but I'm afraid to write him off now.😁

Lovely stuff for Murray delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why do the players not kick up an absolute stink about those borderline overnight matches?

I could understand one night match being scheduled - but two? Including 5-set men's matches? That's absolutely nuts!

I've haven't seen much tennis so far, and only caught glimpses of Murray in passing - and thought he was walking like an old man, or me when I've done a disc in my back! But fair dues to him if he's playing till 3am and winning a second long match!!

I was really sorry to see Ons Jabeur go out - I really love watching her play. She looked all out of sorts in both matches though, never had the look of a finalist about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

~Indeed, normally don't like the guy, but the last 2 matches, what a legend!!

Pure Tennis

This point just summed it all up

https://youtu.be/1tvX1B_zEzI

• Advertisement

Norrie looks to be on the way out...down a break in the fifth set.

Women's top half is shaping up really well

If Sakkari wins her match she'll face Azarenka, so could be another cracker.

Bottom half isn't looking as good, if neither Sabalenka nor Garcia make the final it could be anyone.

Tomorrow's schedule is out, must say I think Linette-Alexandrova is a very strange choice for Rod Laver Arena, particularly when it's going to follow Djokovic-Dimitrov 🤔

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Medvedev in big trouble against Korda. I thought he struggled in the last round too. Looks totally off the pace again. Shap gone after coming back from 2 day. Such a talent, some of his shot making was out of this world. And then he plays shots that I wouldn't play on my worst day. If only he could get consistency.

Post edited by whiterebel on

Jesus, Korda wins in three. I know he's talented but I didn't see that coming.

He had a game plan and put it to good use against Medvedev. Korda is still a bit shaky though throwing away good leads in sets. He would need to improve on that. Medvedev needs to start moving up the court more and stop hanging out at the back of the court being happy to go from side to side. Korda's game plan of dropping the ball short and bring Medvedev into the court worked a treat, there was one rally were he brought Medvedev in and then hit a lovely lob on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Seeds dropping like flies. Looks like it's destined for Nole and Iga.

The strength of the field for this slam on the men's side might be the weakest I've seen since 2001 or so.

Djokovic looks like he's struggling a bit..... Dimitrov will presumably scent blood and run him ragged around the place.

I wonder can he bully his way through this and further through the tournament?

Or will he panic, and lose a tie-break that was surely almost a gimme???

• Advertisement

Maybe destined for Iga but not so sure about Djokovic with this hamstring injury. Djokovic now with a medical timeout.

Advertisement