Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Magazines in a suit case (no firearm)?

• 08-01-2023 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,

Would you be likely to be stopped and get into trouble for having some magazines in. Your checked baggage (or even carry on baggage), either coming from Europe or the US.

For instance if you were on holiday and were able to purchase a few magazines in the US or a European country.

I know they can be posted - but carried/checked on board?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Eu country you should be fine, provided when you arrive back here they are legal for you to have(tiny capacity, etc).

US I wouldn't chance it without a thorough look through ITAR regulations, since some magazines are covered in that.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

It's a firearms component. My advice would be you risk arrest if you try to bring them on a flight. I'd certainly check with the airline first and not base my entire future on any advice given on this forum

By the way, they can't be posted to the state, licence or not. An Post prohibit any firearms components in inbound international mail. You would have use a courier company like DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd LOVE to be at the security checkpoint when you rock up with a few mags in your carry-on luggage!!! That is going to trigger a major response from the good folks manning that point. That will probably get you a not-too-particularly-friendly chat in a small windowless room wearing handcuffs, with a not-so-friendly and armed TSA and/or Homeland security type in the US, and probably something the same level in the EU. Absolute NO NO!!!

Checked hold luggage. Go right ahead,[so long as there isn't an undeclared Pew in there with them], you are good. Up to you to explain them as customs in Ireland if you are checked, and they are over the EU-mandated capacity, and you do, of course, have your valid Irish FAC with you.

In the US, provided they are std capacity mags, IE 10 rounds or less and non-military compatible, or to a military firearm. They are ITAR-exempt ASFIK.So take that as NOT Gospel and best checked by your own research. Or put it like this,and a good rule of thumb; if you can't find it in the Brownells EU-wide websites it probably is not kosher for import.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi

It was checked baggage that would contain them not hand baggage...

I'm not sure if An Post would reject them = I do know that if you try to use their Address Pal in the US they will reject them, but I've had magazines and small non vital bits posted from New York and not a problem with delivery. (from a Firearms dealer not an individual)

I know ITAR has changed in the last while and you can order up to $500 from vendors without an export licence there. (Volquartsen have an arrangement with a crowd called Easy Export?).

TandemKross will post (USPS) to Ireland with non vital bits as well - though the package got lost in London on its way here).

Cheers for the opinions/advice though.

Yup the ITAR regs did change to up the previous $150 limit to $500, but there are certain items that, regardless of price, are explicitly included in the ITAR regs, like bolts, barrels, etc.

Certainly magazines were also included, to the extent that some US manufactured mags on Riflemags in the UK could not be shipped out of the UK without another ITAR filing.

That may have changed but it certainly warrants checking beforehand.

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cosieman

Never had any issues bringing back mags for my mk iv in checked luggage

I was looking for the Volquartsen LLV barrel (pistol) and that was coming in under $500 and they (easy export) were more than willing to ship under these new rules- but only to a registered firearms dealer here in Ireland (even though we don’t require that here in the old sod).

Easy Export likely have a blanket ITAR licence which means they can export to countries on the approved list with little extra paperwork.

A barrel is one of the essential components under ITAR, so regardless of the price it is included in ITAR.

Reason for the RFD here is because they likely don't have a licence for exporting to end users, only dealers, which is another relatively common firearms import/export niggle.

Makes it easier for them though because import/export permissions from dealer to dealer are a lot faster and straightforward than dealer to individual.

Having seen both from Germany recently dealer to dealer took less than 1 business hour to get approved. Dealer to individual took so long the import permission had expired and they still hadn't approved the export.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any problems with shipping receivers?

I see Volquartsen have a clearance sale on some 10/22 parts currently and they use easy export

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/5959?clearance=1

They will likely want to ship to a RFD here - and that RFD would need to register with Easy Export....but check further.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks. I’m registered with east Export but that explains that I’d need my RFD registered with them.

👍

Hi,

I forgot - there is most likely a $500 dollar value limit on the items (in total) that you want.

(edit- it should have been $500 dollars not $4500)

Post edited by dc99 on

Not worried about that 😃

Magpul Stock interests me at 146 dollars compared to €200 here but with shipping and possible customs not worth the hassle.

Yes that’s who I have the Magpul sources from. I’m debating between black or OD Green. I’ve a stainless 10/22 (fingers crossed) next week so not sure on colour. I’d take the OD Green all day long if I had a black receiver and barrel.

Mine is the top pic and the below pics are examples with the stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭itisnotgrand

I don’t know how they would ascertain that your checked in luggage has a non ITAR exempt item (or an ITAR exempt item if you made the mistake of buying one) in it once it’s a non pressure bearing part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dept of Homeland Security and Transport Security Authority has under the Patriot act 2001 the right to inspect any aircraft luggage.BY ANY MEANS. They deem it appropriate. IOW if they want they can force, or cut off locks from hold baggage if they want to have a look-see at whatever,all they have to do is leave a note in your bag.

Paraphrased

"This luggage was hand searched by either DSA or TSA and any offending items of suspicion were removed,blah,blah,etc ,etc".

So much so you can buy approved TSA locks that they can open with a master key and saves you a fortune in busted luggage locks or bolt-cut padlocks. This is controversial in the way this has been carried out,and especially as private property has disappeared,as well as a violation of the US fifth amendment...However, like the "fight against terrorism" over there, once people ceed power to an overzealous Govt entity,which still employs the same 5dollars an hour Peons that private security companies did Pre 9/11, but just gave them a government badge and title and authority.

...So that's how they could know you have something in there . Hopefully, this has changed over there since then, but I somehow doubt it,and one other to be aware of.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement