Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Anyone watch Pat Lawless arrival and interview here? https://youtu.be/eTC5YuggfP4

Bit of a clusterduck by the interviewers getting their act together and a lot of repetitive "good to see you" and "it's over". But to his enormous credit he was very calm and collected. He'd clearly come to terms with it ending in the five days he'd spent initially trying to fix it and then sailing in without the self steering.

I was surprised to hear his Aries pendulum system was nearly as old as the boat and had not had all bearings replaced. At that age, I'd be replacing the entire system for a circumnavigation for fear of fatigue cracking or invisible corrosion. Plus I'd have gone for the hydrovane because there's A) a lot less complexity/moving parts and B) being independent of the main rudder it offers a fall back steering system.

Incidentally Pat's approach into the marina was a bit hard to understand to say the least! Fatigue or night blindness from media lights?

He did us proud and I hope he tries again as he put a great package together and would probably do even better in heavier conditions overall like they got in 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus 😮

ETA - from a GGR facebook post

UPDATE : TAPIO DISTRESS.... Tapio is communicating with the YB3 Tracker-Texting device from the life raft..The YB3 tracker is giving positions with the EPIRB and PLB. He has no Glasses, so hard to read and send messages. He has the GRAB BAG. He is in his survival Suit. Asterias went down stern first in 5 minutes. Press release shortly with more information. #GGR2022

You'd be doing well to get yourself into a survival suit, grab the grab bag, get at liferaft, launch and board liferaft, all within 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

GGR is turning into a bit of a cluster f***

I'm sure that took longer than five minutes to try to find and deal with the source and have to assess it as beyond saving, activate the Epirb, suit up and abandon ship. Could easily have been twenty minutes but would have passed in a flash with the adrenaline and stress.

Even though it went down stern first, the water could have come from anywhere but the speed I'd venture brand a through bill fitting failed. The head, engine intake, shaft seal or rudder bearing. He's very lucky the incident didn't occur in heavy weather or he'd have had no chance with the boat likely swamping or rolling with little warning with all that water moving the CoG about.

The rescue contingency planning was as good as you could hope for -to the organisers credit👍

• Advertisement

Sounds like the boat was already well on its way to sinking when he heard the bang rather than that was the start of ingress. That bang was very likely a hatch or compartment cover getting blown off by water pressure as it came in. The speed at which it filled from when he got moving suggests something more than a through hull fitting, like the hull integrity itself was compromised.

He was very lucky and also made some very good decisions under pressure, e.g. not going back below deck for additional grab bags believing he'd be picked up quickly.

I was a bit shocked that Kirsten wasn't carrying a survival suit. Clearly not mandatory - probably because they're so bulky but......

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

So many experts there it's worse than a post-match discussion! What seems clear is that lots of 'stuff' is not replaced or upgraded or (apparently) properly tested before setting off onbevents like this. I know it costs, the people are on a tight budget, begging sponsorship but to expect to go that far on old gear is staggering!

On a more positive note, SY Eleanora (the classic yacht rammed & sunk in Tarragona) has been bought by a work colleague of the former owner (Zak) and is being brought to the Netherlands for a comprehensive structural repair and full refit. New owner is from Glencore, so has deep pockets and it will be great to see her afloat again.

More info about Tapio Lehtinen: Lessons from my Golden Globe Rescue

He offers some real food for thought about durability and maintenance of key survival items. He also speculates on what might have caused the sudden loss and a good summary/analysis of his prioritization when abandoning. Well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If anyone is looking for some nautical themed candle holders, Penny’s have these winter candles in stock again…

I picked up a set about 2 years ago and when the candle was finished, I cleaned them out and they made great tea light holders…

When I got the first set they were clearance at €1 each, but I picked up another set last week and had to pay the outrageous sum of €2.50 per candle!!

Agreed, it is a very good read and with very practical advice/comment.

Sydney Hobart mickey swinging contest started over night. Short vid and full 90 minute start vid

Only just found this and their race is nearly over. Livestream from on board the super maxi Law Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Tow

Or a big bill for its disposal!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I don’t get it. OK, so I don’t know the weather/sea conditions at the time of the ‘bump’, but the crew was taken off soon after and a crewless yacht made landfall 80nm away a week later, the weather was not that bad. She was not taking on water or in danger of sinking. Agreed, your rudder falling off is on the nasty end of the scale, but it doesn’t mean you cannot steer safely in open waters.

So what has happened to seamanship, e.g. setting up a jury-rigged rudder? Has sailing now come to an ability to sail a boat fast, tactically, and nothing else?

Well, the in-port race for the start of the Ocean Race was the most boring telly I've seen in quite some time!

They only showed the IMOCA race, but I believe the VO 65s were even worse, only one finished.

Sailing is a terrible spectator sport at the best of times - this will have done nothing for its reputation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Tow

It looks that way. You often hear of yachts being found after being abandoned in a storm.

Just pottering around Dublin Bay we practiced sailing without using the rudder.

That modern hull design with a slim keel and no skeg is not the most stable. Rig a temporary rudder or whack on the engine and drag a rope with an item tied on the end.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

It's a desperate event this time around. I use to have alot of interest in it but couldn't care less about it this time. The organisers seem more interested in pushing out fluffy press releases about the environment & Green agenda then promoting a yacht race. Its going to look very bad if only or 3 finish the race the imocas are delicate boats that have a reputation for breaking easily. As for the 65s I dunno what the point in them is apart from fluffing things out and causing a distraction.

Just realised I,ll be in Cape Town during the stop over there in February. Not getting my hopes up on a great race village but will pop down and have a look around. Was at the stop over in Sydney back in 2001 and that was shoved into a quiet spot down the harbour with not much going on and I doubt things will have changed in 20 years

Post edited by neris on

Watching the start of the Ocean Race......

Why do they only concentrate on the IMOCAs? The VO65's didn't get a mention today (that I heard, anyway), never mind any coverage on the telly.

I know they must be a huge improvement comfort-wise on the open-cockpit, fire-hosing previous editions - but I have to say it would freak me out to be that low down to the water, and completely boxed in, while careering through the Med at 35kts.

Anyway, good luck to them - looks like it'll be a bumpy ride to get out of the Med - they're more than welcome to it!!

The 65s started 2 hours before the imoca's. Think the 65s are just a sideshow distraction that have been getting very little attention. Whole things a bit of a **** show compared to what it used to be.

RORC Caribbean 600 starts this afternoon at 230 Irish time. They're showing it live on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

They tried showing the start live...

😨

That's one lucky sailor! I bet he's a few bruises to show for his exploits.

Took the commentators quite a while to notice what was happening.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sweet mother divine, what were they thinking?

https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/seawolf-26-for-sale/724622/7249723

€14,500. Someone's taking the mickey. €4500 maybe max. Aerofoil rudder = typical mid 80s ior rudder

Some time ago there was mention in this forum of a marine accident – a 15 yr. old girl killed when a rib collided at speed with a large buoy. The helmsman, a Mr. Lawrence,(nicknamed 'Mr. Safe') was for 14 seconds ‘taking a selfie’ when he hit the buoy at 42 mph. At Winchester Crown Court last week he was cleared of manslaughter (which he denied) but was convicted on two safety charges and was given an 18-week custodial sentence suspended for two years, provoking nasty scenes in court from the dead girl’s family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've read a few articles on that case and no where does it suggest that the driver was taking a selfie when the boat hit the bouy.

There is a claim that he, earlier in the day, took a selfie.

It is also suggested that the bouy should have been visible to him for 14 seconds prior to collision.

It's quite a leap and would appear to be untrue to suggest that; he "was for 14 seconds ‘taking a selfie’ when he hit the buoy at 42 mph".

Advertisement