Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swashbuckler's Marathon Debut?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Loved reading that P, mostly because of the racing mojo that comes across so well! Definitely lots of life left in the ole dog. Fab photo of the family at the finish too - I'm sure your little ones are very proud and inspired by you. Nice strong finish to the year for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done P, great racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done P, excellent result in fairness. Very well managed race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

You certainly do know how to race. Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

In fairness that's a great race very well executed.

Was there just 1 or 2 of you in the group towards the end? That makes it more impressive.

Having the family there at the end, especially when its going well - must be a nice moment!

Top marks!

But take the recovery handy enough - they say you need 5 days per mile for a HM to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Inspiring stuff, and very well reported to! As for that pacing.......yowsa!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant P! When I read your reports I always feel eternally grateful that my kids were all practically adults before I ever laced up a running shoe 🤣 I'm delighted to see the positivity flowing. Hopefully 2023 brings much more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great report and great racing - congrats. It's very impressive how in tune you are with the appropriate race effort - extremely well judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks all. Lots of compliments on my ability to judge the effort/pacing. That was a conscious choice years ago soon after starting with Luke. Its odd really because my personality and role at work would lend itself to needing data/factual feedback but when it comes to running I have the opposite inclination. I've spent years calibrating myself on how a certain pace feels on a certain day in certain conditions. Its very useful on days like the half marathon when the profile just doesnt lend itself to watch gazing. I calibrated myself early on in the race and got a quick sense of how I was feeling effort wise versus the numbers on the watch. After that it was all on feel. The way I figure is there is no point having a pre concieved notion of racing at 6 minute miles only to find I'm flogged after the first hill.

@Murph_D I knew from previous years that pretty much everyone ended up at least 0.1 miles short. Soon into the race (after three miles) I was beeping about 40 seconds after the marker which equates to almost exactly 0.1 miles for me. It stayed that way until mile 12 and then corrected itself.

@AuldManKing There was never really a group of us. I know the report makes it sound like we were in a pack but in reality , after a few miles it was just me and one other lad. Late in the race one lad closed a huge gap on me and breezed past and soon after I passed my guy. Then I was on my own essentially for the last couple of miles. So even more impressive than you thought!!!

Lazy logging these days.

Since the Border half it has been mostly easy/steady running with the odd "session" thrown in but all sub threshold. The most notable sessions were probably a 10 miler with 4 at MP and an 11 miler with 60mins steady. I'm just ticking along now with no major specifics in mind in terms of training.

The main goal(s) for the rest of the year are to hit 2600 miles and finish ahead of AMK 😂. That being said, I get the sense if he put in one hard week he would leave me for dead.

Right now, with 13 days left in 2023 I'm on 2511 miles. In theory , hitting the 2600 should be fairly manageable but i'm finishing up in work for the holidays which means its family time!! So we'll see. Competing with AMK has given me that extra push over the past couple of weeks. The two weeks since the half marathon were 46 and 56 miles. Looking forward to some time off work. Happy Christmas folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

For whatever reason I didn't closely follow your log during the marathon block - everytime I went to check it out there was another 50 posts and I couldn't stick with the pace. Anyway, I've caught up now as part of my due diligence for the 2022 awards and just wanted to say well done on all of it - the log, the training block, the race, the race report. Just brilliant.

That's very kind of you to come back and catch up. Really appreciate the nice comments too.

So you're doing mostly easy miles and I'm doing sessions out of my a$$ and am about 30 yrs older than you - and this is the competition.......thats what you're saying?

In fairness - it has kept me very motivated. Did you run Monday or have you gone Ninja!

To be fair you're a far more advanced runner than me and yes, I'm purposely avoiding sessions coz 1. I don't have the love for them this time of year and 2. I want to keep up the mileage without recovery. Haha.

I ran. But battery died so it will upload today and yes, I ran further than you 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

If the battery died it probably means it hasn’t recorded the full run… not recorded still counts?

isn’t this time of the year the best time for hill sprints? 😁 they hardly need any recovery and are full of joy.

I won't be claiming any dead battery miles. This is a fair fight 😉. Either way it was right at the end.

2 good days back to back I see.

I normally do an easy 4 or 5 the day after a session. Need to up my game.

I'll wear you down yet auldman

Another late catch-up but I want to close 2022 out for completeness. Last major update was the Half Marathon race. Still my racing highlight of 2022.

In the weeks since the half marathon;

5-11 Dec: 46 miles

12-18 Dec: 56 miles

19-25 Dec: 63 miles

26 Dec-1 Jan: 71.3 miles

Those weeks were pretty much focussed on recovery from the half marathon and then chasing 2600 miles for the year + the well known battle with AMK.

In terms of the weeks since the half marathon there have been no speed sessions as such. Lots of easy miles , plenty of steady and MP stuff thrown in the mix here or there. Once things got into the heat of battle with AMK on the final week it really had to be mostly easy miles as my legs were flagging.

The last week of the year saw me hit my highest mileage week ever. Ended up on 2646 miles for the year so I blasted through the 2600 target - mostly thanks to AMK pushing me all the way. For all the gritty details take a look in AMK's log.

Summary of 2022 and looking forward to 2023 to follow.

Happy New Year everyone and thanks for following this log. I dont expect this to be the most interesting log in 2023 with baby number 4 on the way but I'll still be knocking about on the forum.

My Review of 2022:

** Biggest learnings **

(1) The marathon distance was much tougher than I thought. There are some non running adjustments I would try with the benefit of hindsight and reflection. More specifically around diet, carb loading and race day nutrition. Any future attempts at the marathon will be as a teetotaler which will also likely help.

(2) In the second half of the year there was a big conscious effort to figure out how to better balance everything. I have made great strides on that front.

(3) Daniels worked well for my marathon block but I would go a different route for future marathons.

** Races in 2022 **

A conscious decision not to race during my Great Limerick Marathon block. Something I would probably reconsider in the future.

May: Great Limerick Marathon debut - 2.58. Very happy but a humbling experience / Buttevan 4M: 23:17 - run for fun with no time target

June: Ballyheigue 10k: 37:37. 3rd place. Very tough route.

July: Tralee 10M - less said about this the better. Was placing third and catching 2nd only for zero marshals or signs at a major crossing and we both took a wrong turn.

Dec: Border Half Marathon - 1:20:58 - was delighted with this on a tricky enough route

** Biggest Disappointments in 2022 **

(1) Not racing more although it was a conscious choice.

** Highlight of 2022**

(1) DCM supporting. Genuinely was one of my favorite running days of the year.

** Greatest achievements in 2022 **

(1) Marathon Debut - sub 3 and a sub 81min HM on a much tougher route than my Charleville PB.

(2) Managing to get 2600+ miles in with all the demands of a new baby, family of three, demanding job and endless germs coming home from school

** 2023 Goals **

(1) Survive - baby number four on the way. I can't see anything other than maintenance for the foreseeable. I'm ok with that. I'll just need to figure out the new routine. Each baby is getting a more advanced, experienced version of a parent so while it gets tougher with each one, in a weird way it's manageable as we are not blind rookies as parents anymore. From a running perspective this will likely mean I won't be on a specific plan and will go the Lydiard Base route of trying to maximize my aerobic conditioning through plenty of easy, steady, sub threshold, strides, hills.

Post edited by Swashbuckler on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

A very honest review . Only catching up on lots of logs now . Congrats and marathon debut . I really loved the Border half report - it’s great to get inside someone else’s head to see how they deal with the negative thoughts - a great result as well .

Good luck with 2023 and the pending arrival . Hats off being able to juggle it all and still get the big miles in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great read SB and a very honest account of the year. Loads there to be proud about.

Congrats on #4, so if AMK tops your mileage next year is 2024 going to be the decider?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Congrats on number 4. Would have thought this classifies as “biggest achievement in 2022” 😁.

have a lovely 2023 and plenty of buggy runs

If anyone even gets a hint of me thinking about challenging AMK again please call down to Limerick and hit me over the head with a hammer. Running my biggest weekly mileage ever including a 20 miler to scrape past a guy who ran three sessions that week.......jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

😂😂😂

Some year there P. Fair play, you are going from strength to strength despite challenging circumstances, or maybe even because of? You definitely seem to thrive in a challenge 😉

Good luck with 'survival' in 2023, I hope it's a great year for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done P, an excellent year with many fine achievements on the running and baby making fronts! Good luck with the 2023 adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Congratulations on the news of no 4. Maybe tie a knot in it now!!! Super running in 2022, but that’s a given on this log to be fair.

Cheers B. Great to see you back on here.

• Advertisement

Been a long while since an update or an appearance of any kind on here!

Where to begin...

I've really had to reassess where I'm at with the running over the past while. New baby is imminent. Work has continued to take off so the career is moving in a good direction. I've noticed since the turn of the year that there is less and less of me to give to the running. It certainly doesnt help that every sickness that's going seems to come into the house. To put it into context I've been sick more in the past six months than I was in total between the years of 2015-2020.

What this means is I've really had to have a think about what I want from running, at least for the next few years. It's hard to see a situation where I can sensibly manage everything. For a long time running has been a huge part of my life and at times it was borderline obsession and had a bit of a stranglehold. I think most serious runners might kind of understand - you get to a point where the run MUST fit in somewhere in the day. You no longer look out the window and question whether the weather is too bad - you're going - its just a matter of what gear to wear.

With all that said I've come to terms with the possibility that I may need to move into the "recreational runner" space for now and possibly longer. Its a long road back once the fitness drops back. Right now I'm heading out when and if I can. As pressures mount that will probably mean more missed days. Sessions and structure probably need to be a thing of the past for now. I just dont have the energy to push on all elements at the same time anymore.

Because of this I have made a conscious effort to step back from most running related social media - Strava, Garmin Connect, Boards. I'd like to say I am completely at peace with this decision. Sometimes I think I am but then I get a tinge of sadness when buddies are talking about their race results. Not out of envy - moreso out of missing that element of my life.

Either way I just wanted to get this out there as I know some folks were a little concerned at my absence. Who knows, I might do a complete u-turn on all of this if energy levels rise to meteoric levels! Please feel free to keep in touch offline and I will continue to pop in and out here if and when I can but probably not as consistently as before. If only I had one Poster of the Year last year, I might just have hung around 😁

Advertisement