Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€1000 Budget

• 03-01-2023 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

I got a one 4 all voucher from work for €1000 and want to buy a watch with it.

Are the tissot seastar 1000 powermatic 80 a decent watch for €800? I like this in all black but still new to this so not sure what to look out for.

Any other recommendations? I'm preferably looking for a rubber strap diver as I'm currently wearing a Longinnes Hydroconquest with a steel bracelet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Seiko Prospex is always a safe bet.

Wiers have a few black models and they take One4All vouchers

https://weirandsons.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=Prospex

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Nice watch I reckon but you can get them for about half that on chrono24, it would sting a bit to pay over the odds just to use the voucher. I'd say a better option would be new Seastar 2000. Looks like an improvement over the previous version, but you might have to part with a hundred or so on top of the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I was looking at this watch, thought it looked good. Reviews seem to be good but a few negative comments. I cant use my voucher but I've got it in my head now about a new watch so will have to deal with that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Hamilton watches are usually a decent bet for around a grand.

You could buy it on a bracelet and then buy a runner strap separately and swap it out. Nice to have the option of a bracelet if you want to dress it up a bit.

I have always skipped straight past Hamilton watches when I see them for no real reason. I used to live beside a city called Hamilton in NZ which was a bit of a shithole and I think that put me off. I really like the look of the Frogman Auto. Scuba Auto is also nice and right in my price range. I have 2 other watches in mind that are out of stock at the minute but a restock is scheduled soon. I might wait and see how those fare out first.

What is the watch enthusiast opinion on Hamilton watches, are they a liked brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Join the privilege club for 10% discount and avail of the birthday discount for a further 10% to get that watch for €1080.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Beautiful watch but I am wearing a Hydroconquest at the minute and they are a bit too similar for me to go for just now.

Really looking for something with a rubber strap this time.

I must look into this. Dayt have a 15% new signup discount which is good.

Yeah Hamilton watches are generally well respected in the watch community. You can see a bit more about the brand in Teddy Baldassarre's video below

By the way, if you're just getting into watches, you might enjoy this video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFjYt66h_i4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think Hamilton make some cracking watches. The field auto is IMO a great watch that can often be had for little money compared to its competition.

Their Khaki Navy scuba is a decent shout IMO.

Now that said, at in and around €1000, would the Doxa Sub 200 range suit?

Now I want a Doxa Sub 600T : (

Sorry 😟 I totally understand why tho 😉 but? In my defence, my suggestion was at least within your €1000 range! So any price creep now is all your own 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It has to be available from a shop that accepts one for all vouchers. A lot of shops that probably show feck all online. One4all are absolute poxy.

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer/jewellers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Didn’t know people still fancy the old style watch. Thought all moved to Apple watch or other smart watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

Right lads time to close the forum!

I'm in looking in and around the same budget, my voucher was only 500 but I'm willing to put about 500 to it!

Don't spend the voucher in the jewellers would be my suggestion. Use it for shopping in Tesco so you have 1000 cash and to have flexibility spend it where you like and get a discount.

I'm in no big rush and not sure what I where I want to go next. I was looking at the Tissot Seastar and Longines Hydroconquest last weekend in Fields. Probably preferred the Tissot though I'm not to gone on them as brand even though I liked them back in the early 2000's when I used follow Moto GP. Do like the Hydroconquest but missing 3 bothers me more than it should! If I got a Longines though it's really a Heritage Diver or one of their dress watches I'd like.

Seiko Sumo and Blue bezel 68 SPB079J1 were really tempting me at the 700 mark in an other jewellers though I'm debating stretching to a Willard or I think the new 62MAS and 68 Save the Ocean divers are stunning.

I love Seiko's though I really should try branch out. I'm going to try and get to Hour Passion in Kildare in next while and see if any of the Hamilton's or Certina's jump out at me DS Super PH500M is quite nice I think. I do like the Powermatic 80 movement.

That DOXA Sub 200 is tempting @banie01 always a fan of Doxa's

Online option's at well below budget I do quite like the Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500.

Sinn 104 I really like but price increases have pushed it a bit to much over budget. 556A is possibly the one I'm leaning towards most, not too far above budget not a diver so a bit of a change but still tough enough to wear a good bit. I'm considering some dressier styles but I know they just won't get as much wear as any divers I get for fear of damaging them.

On the other shortlist is a handwound Stowa Marine or Ikarus, Laco A dial Flieger for the original case type and contrast to my Stowa B dial. Marine is the one I probably want the most of those but know I would wear the least as it's so dressy.

Still not sure what I'm leaning towards. I'll try and get to Hour Passion but if I see a good deal on a Seiko online in the meantime I may be too tempted. Trying to resist though and I really should try and off load some of my cheaper watches as little as they are worth and ring fence the money to try up the budget a bit. Sorry for throwing out all my options @BlackEdelweiss !

Post edited by Ryath on

@Ryath I see you mention the Laco and I've had a flashback to my earliest post on this forum. When someone posted about a Laco Bell X-1 for sale in Galway and I nearly snaked buying it due to what is best described as naivety. I did put my foot in it at the time and came off as a bit of a dope 🤦‍♂️ hopefully that impression has lessened over time 😂

I can't actually remembered who bought the watch? But weirdly, can remember the seller was in Aughrim 🤷‍♀️

I will have to have a trawl through my posts and see who bought it, as weirdly? I still want it 😉

It’s very hard to pass the seikos you’ve mentioned.The dials of those are more interesting than watches costing 10 times that price.

Doxa & Sinn are two brands I’m spending a lot of time looking at lately, I think a Doxa could be my next purchase .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yea they are very tempting even at the lower price points a lot of the King Seiko's and Save the Ocean Prospex have much more interesting dials than most. I'd be far more tempted by them though if they didn't have cyclops. Lot of the Seiko Presages have lovely dials too. If I don't completly blow the budget on a dive watch good chance I'll pick up a cheapish one to have as dress watch

Trying to decide if I could live with the one on the Samurai Save the Ocean as it's just date, no way could I live with day date one though. Would be a cheap enough purchase as I'd sell the Samarui I already own and would still nearly have the money for the Stowa Marine. If I go for a Seiko diver though I would like to get to at least a 6R35 movement.

Sinn 857 is the watch I really want I think, but it's way over budget. Looking for something very legible and clean with Arabic numbers. Sinn 556A ticks the boxes at not much over budget but I'd prefer a bezel. Seiko Spork would be perfect but they cost as much as a 556 now which is a bit much for a watch you could get for €200 new.

NTH Scorpéne would be a cheaper option though I'd prefer if they'd left the name at least of it and the depth rating. €740 is a lot of money though for a microbrand with a Miyota movement. It would want to be a lot cheaper before I'd consider it. Any other watches I'm missing it the same style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Ryath, the similarity between my own collection and the list you posted was uncannily similar to my own tastes, had to laugh at the reference to the missing 3 on the Hydroconquest as being off putting, could never quite put my finger on what was wrong until you said it.

Personally I think the 63MAS is a class above the new Willard, I have both and the etched bezel on the 63 makes it seem a class above. Have a 104 too (Arabic dial) and while it's a lovely watch the polished case is still something I'm trying to get onboard with. The 556 is a great watch, it's generally been my daily for the last year. I would say if you heart is set on something, save the extra few €€s and go for it. You wont be happy with something that almost is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Big fan of the prospex myself bought this one off chrono lately and as to the cyclops it can be removed, have done many. Incidentally I have a ct057 double dome crystal to fit into that, they look amazing and show the showstopper dial offf

Any discounts available for Weir & Sons? I have a student card but can't see how to use it.

The cyclops on the samurai doesn’t bother me but like you the day and date one might although I rather the turtle case over the samurai . I find the king samurai is a miles ahead of the other regular samurai I have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

At least half of the seiko candy bar cyclops I've seen are crooked. Less so on date.

The ct072 double dome with blue ar.

Have you the bracelet for that?

Anybody any comments on this watch? It is a bit of a departure from my original spec but not too far off for me not to consider. Something about it is sitting well with me. What is the story with this kind of strap, can it be worn in the sea/shower/pool etc? Is it a leather backing? It is available online for €975. Is it worth it?

My other option is this:

Any thoughts, comments?

I'm still relatively new to all this so I'm going mostly on aesthetics and not function. Feel free to warn me off any of them if there are any reasons other than aesthetics that would put you off buying one.

Another question, my wrist is approximately 17 -18cm. Will a 43cm be too big for me? I saw some photos of the GMT and it looked huge on the guys wrist.

I have a Victorinox Naverick that I think is a 43 also and I am quite happy with his that looks

Recent trends seem to indicate that watch buyers are starting to prefer a slightly smaller diameter case so 40mm is becoming the size of choice. Of course, some watches wear smaller than their actual case dimensions. It often depends on the distance between the lugs as this will dictate how it sits on your wrist but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. If you're happy with how it looks on your wrist then that's all that matters.

To be honest, I prefer a smaller diameter. I love my 42mm Longines and was surprised when I saw the Victorinox was 43mm. The DS Action just looked huge on the video and it put me off! I also thought the case looked matt black but it was very shiny on the video, another turn off for me. The search continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Not to throw this too far off track, but I had a look at the Hamilton Pilot Pioneer in Weirs yesterday - gorgeous watch.

Advertisement