Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭paulos53

Unfortunately he gets no Ryder cup points for his 5th place finish as it clashed with a Rolex event on the European tour. That has resulted in him dropping out of the top 6 in the standings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ah he had a wedge in his hand from 146 yards in the middle of the fairway, he missed it 10 yards. A birdie wouldn’t have been enough anyway but a poor way to end a very good week.

He has a good break now before Hawaii and he absolutely loved it down there last year so hopefully a good showing in January now to kickstart 2023 which could be another life changing year for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

Seamus is back in the saddle tonight at the no-cut $15m Tournament of Champions. He'll get $200k for last place or $2.7m for winning.

He tees off in the 2nd group tonight at 7:35

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Strong start. 5 under after 12

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Finished -5 and tied 11th. Good start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

Good first round without doubt but a lame finish saw him slide from first down to 17th. A lot of big names are up there so while Seamus is in line for a good whack of prizemoney he'll need to keep that birdie machine humming.

Incidentally I saw where the last par 5 measured 676 yds y'day. Kinda crazy really and yet guys still grabbing a bundle of birdies there -8 of the top 10 bagged a birdie -with drives measuring up to 393 yds ! Definitely not the same game I'm playing .😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭OEP

It's downhill and often down wind with the prevailing wind I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

It's an odd course and there's a Par 5 that's over 500 yards too. Must be some craic to play for the average golfer even off the appropriate tees.

It’s a 7500+ yard course in name only. It plays about 6000 in reality. With the winds, the severe downhill slopes & easy layout these guys take it apart for fun. -34 won it last year I think was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,320 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tied 12th, highly unlikely he wins it but a high finish is very possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

Eagle at 5th the only highlight - otherwise death by driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Feels wrong that shooting -6 on the weekend actually dropped Seamus down about 10 spots or so. Any round worse than -4 or -5 sends you in the wrong direction!

I guess it'll mean about 200k or so in prize money but a higher finish was certainly there for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

$213k for tied 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He really seemed to struggle on the back 9 of that course compared everyone else

Only 4 under for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It's comforting to know that had I been eligible to play in this event I would have earned $201,000 and almost the same amount that Seamus earned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just shy a PGA tour card and PGA win, you were almost there

Seamus is closing in on the $10m career earnings mark on the PGA Tour now. $10.1m career earnings would put him inside the top 200 career earnings.

An unbelievable first round from Seamus in Abu Dhabi today. -6 for his last 10 holes & no bogeys. He made a great par save to keep his momentum going on his back 9. He has put himself in a great position and if the wind blows, scoring might not be that low over the weekend so another solid round tomorrow would put him in with a great shout. This is one of the big ones on the European Tour and a strong showing with Luke Donald watching closely would do him the world of good.

I think bar an alarming drop in form, he’s a guaranteed Ryder Cup player. To contend in the limited number of European events he’ll play will do his confidence the world of good. He’s had two great years, I think an even better one is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seamie played in the group in front of Luke Donald for the first 2 rounds. And he is playing with him for the last 2 rounds. Hopefully he has been impressing the captain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Seamus back with a bang tonight, shooting -7 to jump into contention after a quiet 1st day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

And back at the scene of his spectacular fade last year as well. He could exorcise a few demons this weekend with a good finish.

His round at Pebble Beach on the Friday last year was absolutely unbelievable. Friends of mine were at the tournament and said they had never seen a better display from any golfer. He’s got the hard course out of the way this week and has two rounds at Pebble which he said in his interview he loves. Could be a good weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Spyglass Hill seems to be the hardest of the three courses so will be interesting to see how many ahead of him still have to play that course .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

Tuned in for a wee bit last night but didn't see Seamie. Obviously it's hard to cover all the courses and groups. Was there any footage of Power's round?

Brilliant round yesterday. Hopefully he can keep the foot down tonight to keep in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tied for the lead through 11 today and goes bogey, double bogey. 5 to get down from 81 yards in the fairway 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Putting a good third round together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Top 20 is a quarter of a million dollars, so plenty to play for!

• Advertisement

A nice weekend for Seamus and he finished T-20th, nice money and points picked up there with that strong finish. He’s now comfortably over the $10m mark in career earnings on the PGA Tour. That puts him inside the top 200 in history in earnings on tour.

This time 3 years ago, I believe he had a little over $2m earned and he was relieved just to be getting close to qualifying for his tour pension. Tournament earnings aside, his commercial profile has skyrocketed and I would think he’s on decent money now in terms of sponsorship and endorsements. It’s fair to say he won’t need to go looking for any accounting jobs when he’s finished up on tour.

Advertisement