Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PS5 version didn't have an locked frame rate and there were quite a few times when the frames dipped. Added to the frame pacing and it was juddery in places.

The PS4 version was pretty much locked to 60 FPS at 1080 (I think that's the resolution) and because of the lower resolution the game ran smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I feel like there is a hitch every so often, id assume based on world loading, but its very minor. I started playing a few months after release and never really had an issue and I do notice frame pacing issues.

Low frames can be ok but they have to be consistent.

Did you have it on Performance or Quality mode?

All my time has been spent in performance mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Cordell

Frame pacing and stuttering affected the PC version as well, and it wasn't fixed by the couple patches that were pushed while I was playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I had it on performance and it was like a time thing iirc, every 5-10 seconds the screen would freeze for a sec, it was affecting combat and button inputs, not just a 'i want 60 fps' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,191 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nearly sounds like something went wrong during install. Deleting and reinstalling may have solved it but can't blame you for jumping to PS4 version if it was at that.

I'd say if you are tempted to jump back in, try a clean install of the PS5 version first. At the very least whatever updates the game has gotten since then may help, but a clean install should rule out any issues with the install.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I did a reinstall and no joy but installing again now so will see how it plays with all the updates.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Got this for christmas, OMG what a wicked game this is. Took on the first boss at the castle and he shredded me for hours until I thought about exploring and levelling up haha

Tried this again on the ps5 app, seems to run better for me now but still not as smooth as the ps4 pro version. Definitely not the unplayable level i first experienced.

I suggest going south of the map first of you didn't already. It's not an obvious path since everything is pointing North but there's a great area down there, almost seems like it should be tackled first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah I went head first for the castle so after getting beat around way too many times I'm just exploring away and leveling up :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard that the PS4 Pro version is the best performing version, it runs 30 FPS but manages to maintain that mostly whereas the PS5/XBSX can't hit their 60 FPS caps and PC has texture compilation issues despite hitting 60 FPS easily.

Well actually I hear the steam deck is the best as it has all the PC benefits but without the texture compilation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The main reason why people favour the PS4 Pro version is because it runs with an unlocked framerate, meaning it holds a constant 60 fps when played on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would explore Limgrave and Weeping Peninsula fully before fighting that boss. Loads of great walkthroughs and guides on youtube if you get stuck but beware of spoilers. I found the best approach was to explore areas myself first and then look at walkthroughs to see what I missed. I'm jealous of you getting to play through it for the first time, you only get that once and this game is incredible.

Following a guide on youtube from FightinCowboy and by god I missed loads. Its nice to have a reference and the areas are just amazing done. I am glad I held off a bit for this game and now I will have time to actually play through it :)

I’ve used his walkthroughs for Elden Ring, Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro. He’s a hero for the amount of work he put into making those.

Yeah theres some serious effort gone into them, I got through the first 2 of 87 videos of the walkthrough so far haha

I found his walkthroughs after getting stuck in Sekiro, and then used his walkthroughs for Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and Demons Souls Remake. He's great. I'd usually watch one or two of his half hour videos, then would play those sections maybe a day or two later (which would take me a bit longer to replicate due to doing from memory and not being as familiar with the gameplay/combat). His videos show you where to go to collect all the best items/weapons etc and maybe gives a few gameplay hints, but are also never as overly descriptive that it means you completely cheese the game either. For me, Soulsborne games always have so many different paths, side areas, illusionary walls, weird side mission requirements, and just things that are so easily missable that as I'm likely to only be doing one playthrough, I want to experience as much of it as possible.

Even things in Sekiro where to get the true ending you have to eavesdrop on people, then talk to them, then leave, then come back and eavesdrop again three times, then spin around, then look at the bottom of your shoe, then eavesdrop again.... I don't think I'd ever figure out a lot of the requirements even after 6 playthroughs.

Elden Ring was the first Soulsborne game I've played without his walkthroughs, but just because it was the first I played at launch and wasn't going to wait for him. I did hit up the wikis a lot more though for some of the side mission requirements, but I loved just exploring the map of Elden Ring having no idea what was around the corner, or in what cave etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

but I loved just exploring the map of Elden Ring having no idea what was around the corner, or in what cave etc.

Not that I have anything against following walk throughs, but do you regret not taking this approach with the other games?

I feel like the surprise/shock factor is one of the more enjoyable aspects of the Fromsoft games. Having said that, to get the platinums or to progress certain storylines, some form of guide is necessary. I like the futurepress guides as they only give the bare minimum amount of info needed. I also like having a solid memento for the game afterwards :)

Anybody tried this on steam deck? I'm having trouble getting my PC save working on it. Not 100% sure it's even possible to use cloud saves on steam deck

A little, but I'm happy enough with how it went. Elden Ring being open world meant that while there was a golden path, exploration is such a key part of the game and the game is more balanced to allow that. Whereas I think I really would have struggled in some of the other games simply because of the scarcity of upgrade materials or special items. In particular, some of the ways to get to side paths in previous games like having to carefully dodge-roll onto small ledges and run around the side of castle walls or other awful platforming bits, I wouldn't have tried to attempt in previous games. I doubt I would have found even a tenth of the illusionary walls. Things like that in previous games I'm glad I could just see a video and know that that's a place I need to go for whatever item. I think it feels more forgiving in Elden Ring, maybe due to the ability to jump (so it's more evident that you might be able to make it over to a ledge rather than having to dodge-roll onto them), and more sites of grace to checkpoint, and even out in the open being able to summon Torrent and get the hell out of there if you realise you're somewhere you shouldn't be.

One of my main complaints about previous games is that upgrade material felt rare enough that it felt difficult to upgrade more than one weapon, and it was usually best to use all your material on your main weapon. It's why I didn't enjoy Bloodborne as much as others; I stuck with my starter weapon (Hunter's Axe) and just used the heavy swing attack on it for pretty much the entire game. And even going back to the game a while later I didn't want to use any other weapon because I got so used to it. So I wasn't even using the trick weapon ability for combos or anything, the heavy swing worked so well on pretty much everything, and the combat ended up boring me.

Elden Ring felt far more forgiving in that there were more sites of grace but also upgrade material feels far more abundant because they know you're likely to miss some areas or side paths. With the sheer amount of different weapons and builds possible, weapons feel a lot easier to level up and try out, and have a few different options for the same build.

Some of my favourite moments from Elden Ring were discovering parts of level design and how areas are connected that I probably would have lost if I just followed a walkthrough, so I probably did miss out on experiencing that directly in previous games, but I think it's a happy trade-off. I don't know if I would have kept going with Soulsborne games, as it was really the walkthroughs that let me get over a lot of the hesitations I had with them.

• Advertisement

For most games I never bother with walkthroughs but the devs of these games are different. Elden Ring in particular is absolutely vast and you get almost no information at all about where to go or what to do. There’s no journal of any sort or even a basic log of conversations you have with NPCs so for side quests in particular if you don’t use walkthroughs or wikis it will take hundreds and hundreds of hours to figure out and finish everything on your own and even if you could give it that time you’d still miss things. It did annoy me alright when playing through Dark Souls 3 but generally I will try and do as much as I can on my own before looking up help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just go in blind. Maybe look stuff up so you aren't missing any major areas and bosses. Honestly the NPC sidequests are fun and all but you don't need to finish them and they are well documented online. Platinums and gamerscore don't matter.

While I mostly agree, getting the best ending (as well as the areas, items and bosses that go along with it) takes a fair bit of leg work and is very hard to track without a guide. But then, you don't knowthat you're missing stuff unless you're already looking at a guide or walkthrough, nor do you know which NPCs or quests are side missions or important for the best endings, or what you might lock yourself out of if you don't do something in time.

This probably applies more to the older games as I do think ER is better balanced in that regard, but things like the repeated eavesdropping which eventually leads to Fountainhead Palace in Sekiro, or the invitation to Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne, or anything to do with World Tendency in Demons Souls... I'm not sure I would have figured out any of them without guides, but also without knowing I needed to follow a guide while playing in the first place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So im about to jump in finally, im going in almost totally blind and will be taking my time.

However i am keen to hear thoughts on an easier class or build to begin with if there is one :)

Well in Elden Ring the ending you get, other than an obscure one you have to work for just really changes the background colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Has anyone re-speced to a totally new build in this. I've got past the academy and now Caria Manor and starting to struggle. I've gone with a mainly melee build with small bit of magic but I think a ranged magic build would make things a bit easier. Has anyone done anything similar or is it even worth it?

Oh totally. There's a good ending, a bad ending, and 4 middle endings which are all the same. But the good and bad endings require going to certain areas which aren't that easy to find or access, have interesting items/weapons or have ancient smithing stones, or have brilliant boss fights. Or even accessing the boss fight against Placidusax is definitely very easy to miss though it has no bearing on anything).

With Elden Ring I think you can still do most of those things after completing the game even if you can no longer get that ending, but with other Soulsborne games you can miss or lock yourself out of some great content.

Depends on the playstyle you want to go with. There are numerous viable builds, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll also be able to completely respec later in the game.

That said, Samurai is a solid choice for a Dex/Int build.

On my second playthrough I flip-flopped between a few different builds. Started as strength/faith but was struggling, so when I got the chance to respec I went dex/faith for a while, then an arcane bleed build, then back to strength/faith by the end as I could quickly level up some great strength & faith weapons/spells.

Don't be afraid to respec, there are plenty of larval tears to find and respec again if you need. The main thing to keep in mind is what weapons will you use if you respec, and can you upgrade those weapons to match the level you're respeccing to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Thanks for the reply. Ye I think the weapons is my main worry at the moment. I'm sure I can go grab some before I respec but not sure id have the upgrade materials to bump them up.

Advertisement