Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing windows

• 13-07-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi, we,re in the throes of renovating an old house, would love to fit sash windows but find them too expensive. A friend suggested we look at Polish suppliers. Apparently theres quite a saving to be made - we had munster joinery give a quote, and would like to deal withthem, but found the windows ugly, expensive and the fittings verrrry shiny...ugh.
    We,d appreciate any feedback / recommendations. Our builder is prepared to fit them.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pboru22

Hi Op,

I work for a sash window company here that’s manufactures in Ireland and are a lot more expensive than Munster joinery. I would question the quality of imported windows that will be cheaper and ultimately they won’t last such as glass breakdown, seal failure etc...

If it’s an old building get a window company to refurbish existing. Draught sealing is most important aspect and improves performance, glazing is next. Usually cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Pboru22 wrote: »
    Hi Op,

I work for a sash window company here that’s manufactures in Ireland and are a lot more expensive than Munster joinery. I would question the quality of imported windows that will be cheaper and ultimately they won’t last such as glass breakdown, seal failure etc...

If it’s an old building get a window company to refurbish existing. Draught sealing is most important aspect and improves performance, glazing is next. Usually cheaper too

Hi there thanks for reply, weve asked a joinery man fir a quote, i suppose it,ll be mad - i,d like to keep it local, but budget is a problem...theres been munster joinery pvc 'georgian' , windows fitted in the 80,s, time to give em the road...brutal...the new mj stuff seems decent enough quality...the aesthetics leave a bit to be desired..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pboru22

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi there thanks for reply, weve asked a joinery man fir a quote, i suppose it,ll be mad - i,d like to keep it local, but budget is a problem...theres been munster joinery pvc 'georgian' , windows fitted in the 80,s, time to give em the road...brutal...the new mj stuff seems decent enough quality...the aesthetics leave a bit to be desired..

The problem with imported sash windows is to make sure the timber is suitable for Irish climate. In my opinion Sapele Mahogany or Accoya are the best for longevity here. Any form of pine won’t last.

I have seen a lot of very good and reasonably priced aluclad/pvc polish imported windows.

On price just one thing to note always the Georgian windows such as 6 pane over 6 are the most expensive option simply due to the extra over costs you are paying for the glass due minimum charge per sqm. IMO if you went for 1 pane over 1 you would save in the region of 30/40%.

Pboru22 wrote: »
    The problem with imported sash windows is to make sure the timber is suitable for Irish climate. In my opinion Sapele Mahogany or Accoya are the best for longevity here. Any form of pine won’t last.

I have seen a lot of very good and reasonably priced aluclad/pvc polish imported windows.

On price just one thing to note always the Georgian windows such as 6 pane over 6 are the most expensive option simply due to the extra over costs you are paying for the glass due minimum charge per sqm. IMO if you went for 1 pane over 1 you would save in the region of 30/40%.

Hi thanks for that...we,ll be fitting one over one jobbies....would oak bea decent option? ..seen it as an option...heard meranti not suitable either, and it looks like mahogany!

Just to finish up…we eventually settled on a polish outfit..hardwood sliding sash…a bit of a palaver, but ended fine, a big price saving, and a quality window..we’re pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 br8

Hi oldsmokey,

Looking at replacing windows with wooden sash, any chance of PM of the company you used in Poland?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mickie smyth

Hi Oldsmokey,

Same there, I need to get a load of old bad quality sash double glazed windows replaced. I’d apprereciate a PM with details on the supplier you went with.

Thanks!

Hi oldsmokey - could I also get a PM with name of the company? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

Hi oldsmokey - If you could PM me the name of the company that would be great. Looking to get some windows in the next month or 2 so might investigate the importing option.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Can you please pm the name of the company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭hydrus21

I would like contact details for this company.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi @oldsmokey, how did you you find them from a lead time perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi,

Can you PM on the company details also.

Thanks

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭badboyblast

any chance of PM the company details please , thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sure I'll have one too please

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tentaclesarefun

If you could PM the company details to myself also that would be hugely appreciated!

the outfit were international windows.pl..have an outlet in the uk..best to deal with Poland..lead time 2=3 months..no telephone contact really. Make sure loading on their side is truly covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Just wondering what were the steps in the process? Did you get someone to measure and send them the measurements. Did the price include delivery or did you need to organise that yourself? Also wondering about fitting? Did you get a joiner to do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ferny1

Hi - could you pm me the name too please.

Thanks

Advertisement