Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tome gnome

Photo courtesy of Grainne Toomey

6 June 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

Just wondering is the place busy since the start of the tourist season? Are there many people around during the weekend? I suppose it would be quiet enough during the week.

38 ... and counting!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Very sad news from Ballybunion on the drowning of a man and woman there on Thursday. RIP to them both :(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Much happening in Ballyb these days?

• Advertisement

Huge drop in views for 2022! 😥

2521 total views for 2022

7 views per day

2014 - 104 views per day

2015 - 93 views per day

2016 - 33 views per day

2017 - 26 views per day

2018 - 20 views per day

2019 - 46 views per day

2020 - 47 views per day

2021 - 37 views per day

2022 - 7 views per day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I always liked it in winter for strange reason, although the craic was mighty in the summer alright

Warning for cliff walkers after man falls 40 feet in Ballybunion

A man in his 40s was airlifted to hospital on Saturday afternoon after falling 40 feet from the cliffs in Ballybunion.

Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue, Listowel gardaí and the Ballybunion Unit of the Irish Coast Guard were involved in the rescue of the man.

Members of Ballybunion Rescue, including a paramedic, nurse, and EMT, arrived on the scene within two minutes of their pagers being activated.

The man was stabilised before the Rescue 115 helicopter brought him to University Hospital Limerick.

Ballybunion Rescue PRO Omar Fitzell says people should keep onto the main cliff paths and not to attempt to climb the cliffs for any reason.

Sounds like he was trying to get down to Nun's Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think there's only a rough steep path leading down to the beach, with no hint of concrete, tarmac, or railings. There's none of that health & safety there. 😳

I heard that the fella who fell was having trouble with his dog, and ended up tripping over said dog before falling down towards the strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's nothing there bar something like a sheep track and a rope for the last leg to lower yourself down or hoist yourself up. Not for the unfit or faint of heart or messing around with a dog.

From the tone of the article it doesn't sound like Nun's beach. It's steep but hardly a cliff and it's a well worn track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

I was back in Bally today and notice the big car park at the end of the town was locked up and completely empty. Is there a reason for this? Surprising at the height of the tourist season.

Just a quick flight around the Nun's Strand.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ToZ8mTWcUfs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Hi all,

sorry for long absence. life gets in the way sometimes.

I have moved abroad (to UK) so I wont be able to give real-time updates to BallyB , but I still know people there and can contact them if needed. I also still remember stuff, so I might be able to answer general questions .....

AND i still like to hear stuff about my most favourite place in the world, so please keep posting !

nice photos Gra! X

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Anywhere do bubble tea in ballybunion?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

I'm looking to get down to Ballybunion this summer.just wondering if mcmunns bar is still open.i built the bar many years ago and would like to revisit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭lazyman

Hi all

Thinking about heading to ballyb this week. Does the water fully cover the beach when the tide is in? Want to for a beach walk with the kids

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

the tides are getting higher & higher this week, until they peak on 9th or 10th next week. when the tide is in this far, making your way along the Gents Beach / Long Strand can be impossible.

High tide this weekend is Sat 4.30pm and Sun 5pm (approx), and at its highest 6.30 pm on Tues & 7pm on Wed . Im guessing you dont care about the middle of the night tides :-)

But … good news …. the tide is only at its max for a short time, and if the beach is impassable when you intend to go, then wait 30-60 mins and you are good to go! Of course, if there is a lot of wind, then that keeps the tide higher for longer.

If going out the Long Strand when the tide is coming in, be carefull. By the time you turn to come back it could be all the way in. If this happens, then take a short cut through the golf course. Just watch the balls!!

Advertisement