Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback thread for PI, RI & Bereavement

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The mods saw that thread. It was decided that it was a Relationship Issue. It wasn't the posters first thread about a minor issue in their relationship and it was felt he might benefit from getting replies from others. I'm not convinced it was a genuine thread in that the OP genuinely wanted advice on heating. But it was felt that perhaps there are relationship issues in that marriage bigger than heating and the thread was allowed to remain open. In the end it was only open for 5 days and had a total of 12-13 replies. Hardly classes as "let run and run".

But I do agree with TherapyBoy, please report posts and tag us using @ in the report. Otherwise we will not see the report unless we go looking through the forum. Every reported post from every forum goes into the same list. So it means a lot of scrolling to find a reported post from the PI forum. I'll be honest and say I don't check too often.

Tag us, or PM us is the best way to bring something to our attention.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Are you really still not getting reported post notifications? Beasty has mentioned in a number of Feedback threads that while it used to be the case that everything just got fired into a giant pool of reports, that's no longer the case. It would be great to get clarification on this because I've been reporting posts in the "normal" way recently under the impression that they were being brought to mod attention, albeit not necessarily in the exact same way they were on vBulletin.

It worked - for a while, and then stopped. We used to get email notifications but haven't for sometime now. I have a rule set up on my email to direct all reported posts notification emails to a specific folder. The folder is empty. Although I used to get daily notifications.

As a category moderator I should be getting reports for all categories under the Society and Culture heading. I don't get reports for any forum.

It's not news to anyone that the switch to the Vanilla platform has caused huge issues. What used to be available to moderators at the click of a button is now either not available at all, or not easily accessible. So, human nature being what it is people just don't bother as much as they used to. I know personally I don't look at the reported posts forum regularly. I might have to scroll through 3 or 4 pages of reports before I'll find one for the Personal Issues forum - or, after scrolling 3 or 4 pages I might find none at all. And it feels like a waste of time scrolling to find nothing anyway.

The reported post forum now has a [Personal Issues] tag before the title of the reported post. But you still have to scroll through the forum, or search the page, to find a title.

That's why TherapyBoy's suggestion of tagging us when submitting a report is a good one. At least then (I think!) we will get notification that we have been tagged in a post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah shoot, I didn't realise this.Been checking a similar folder in email, and nothing lately so thought things were in the main ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I don't receive notifications and never have received them.

I go through the reported posts as often as possible. As BBOC said the prefix is now showing, - in the last fortnight or so - but there's still quite a bit to sift through at any one time.

The most recent report for PI - the post was reported on Sunday evening 23/10 and subsequently by another poster on Monday morning 24th. I saw the reports on Monday morning 24th and acted on same.

Someone has told me that you cannot tag someone in a reported post. The moderators do look through the reported posts forum (more so than I do!). So if you report a post that you feel really needs action and notice that it hasn't been actioned after a while then please PM one of us.

But also be aware, that not all reported posts will be actioned.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

This Vanilla software is the biggest piece of dogshit ever produced. Whatever it’s costing, @Boards.ie: Odhran is too much. Nothing works in any sort of simple or sensible way. It’s a joke, & that Canadian software crowd are laughing at you. What a mess!

I'm seriously beginning to think all posts & replies in this forum should be pre-moderated. There's a lot of absolute drivel being posted lately - particularly in the last day or two.

And yes, I am reporting them, before anyone asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I agree!! Since PI and RI started appearing on the home page (thanks Vanilla) the standards have dropped hugely and the tone of many replies has gone from supportive to negative.

• Advertisement

Users coming in here direct from the front page thinking they are posting in After Hours or somewhere similar & don’t realise (or don’t care) that the rules in PI are very slightly different.

There was a very good reason posts from the PI forum didn’t show on the front page on the old site. The PI section is a valuable resource for Boards users & it should be protected! Take it off the front page!

@Boards.ie: Mike

@Boards.ie: Odhran

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hey there, I have removed the message from the front page now. I don't see any other section that would allow a user to link directly into the PI forum. Let me if I've missed anything. I hope this resolves some of the issues that you guys are facing. It is an important resource on the site and should remain a positive source of support.

I don't think whatever you did worked, cause this thread is currently showing on the front page. On mobile, anyway.

Hey, I use desktop day to day but I've just checked the mobile version there and I don't see any link to it. Is your homepage view filter on All or Following?

It's set to All. Let me see if it's still showing up after I post this, hang on...

Yup.

Okay! It seems that the sticky's are coming to the top of the latest discussions on the homepage ( although not all and not necessarily ones that are followed). Is anyone else in here having the same thing happen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I just posted a test thread and it's coming up on the front page. Niamh did try to take PI threads off the front page when first moved over to vanilla but it had other knock on affects where you couldn't follow the forum or threads anymore. It didn't work as simply as it did with the old boards. But maybe other kinks causing it have been ironed out so we don't have the same problems as before

Was that test carried out on desktop or mobile? I'll take it to tech so and see what they come back with!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

• Advertisement

Hi there I haven't got a suitable solution from vanilla yet! i'll ping them about it again to keep the ball rolling.

Thanks,

Mike

Two posts in this is thread using very inappropriate language to talk about a woman. Again symptomatic of PI posts appearing on the front page

That entire thread, including the OP, is questionable imo. And some of the replies (including a deleted one) are definite ticks in the box for the "pre-moderate everything" argument I made a while back.

It was such a simple thing, keeping PI (& related) off the front page & it worked so well!

This Vanilla software is apparently unable to work like this so I don’t see another way around it other than pre-moderation. But I think doing this could drive users away from PI & cut the numbers here to the detriment of a true valued resource on Boards.

I’m still finding it hard to comprehend how a basic option like ‘keeping posts from X forum from appearing on the front page’ isn’t available from an entity that provides software for online message boards. This isn’t something new or cutting-edge! Pull your finger out Vanilla!

Pre-Pre-moderated posts would be a full time job for someone and not fair to ask pop our volunteer mods. Can access be restricted like the soccer forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Glaceon

You'd have to scrap any notion of anonymous posting unfortunately.

Anonymous posting is already gone. You have to create a throwaway account, which is permitted in PI/RI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Glaceon

But then you'd need to request access with that account. I guess it's possible but not as easy.

• Advertisement

What's getting very annoying now is OPs deleting or requesting the deletion of their posts. At least one of these in the past 24 hours has done this before. I know there can be privacy concerns but these are usually throw away accounts anyway. Also isn't the reason all threads aren't deleted that they might help someone else. That won't work if the OP is gone?

Advertisement