Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way dealing with neighbour throwing stuff in your garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

This is what we are doing in the next 2 to 3 years. Nice bungalow out in Meath somewhere with fields around us. No possibility of a smart ass neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hold on to the dream! And keep them at arm's length!

Just an update, unfortunately my window sill camera didn't capture the latest missile my neighbour through in my garden due to horrible window glare which completely blinded the lense on a sunny day. If it was a dull day I would have caught the incident. This is not a reliable way to do it unfortunately.

So now I'm looking to have a properly installed CCTV camera at the back of my house, a camera that my neighbour will know is there to deter any further messing. Something mounted high up on the back wall off our house. Ive been reading the laws and I understand the camera is not allowed point over neighbouring gardens or public areas. That's fine as I can still see the direction in which any missiles will be coming from anyways so will be obvious who is doing it.

Do I have to install a CCTV warning sign at my house ? I don't see that in the data protection laws so I'm not sure ? Even if it is not required should I put a sign up anyways so my neighbour can see it ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

You can have all the cameras you want and don't need a sign of any sort, that's not breaking any law. It is what you do with the footage is the thing people fall foul of. You cannot publish that footage anywhere including here. I'll see if I can find the legislation but this comes up quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

Very hard to find the correct source. An explainer is here on link

• Advertisement

Would you suggest I put a small sign up where the back neighbour can see it if he peeped over my fence or through his back window ? Or is that too excessive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Easiest way is to put up a couple of cameras.

They don't need to be connected, but do use real cameras.

Some cheap oddments here.

https://www.equicom.ie/cctv-security-camera-clearance-sale.html

You stick one on the front of the house pointing to your door and one on the back of the house.

Have a friendly chat with the neighbour to reassure them that the cameras do not record any part of their property and they are their for general security especially when you are not at home and can keep an eye on things remotely.

It works every time I have suggested it to people with asshole neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Ask your local GAA club to help you set up large netting across your garden, the height of a football upright should do the trick. Could be a lot cheaper than you CCTV idea, which is a woeful concept given that all you are ever going to do is waste hours of your time glued to black and white images attempting to find a 2 second flicker across the screen indicating that maybe your new neighbour might have chucked a phucking twig over the wall?

Had you asked them to stop the first time they may have easily just done so. I mean it must be such a hardship this last while having to occupy your time with such an enduring matter, god have mercy on your poor soul, I said a few for you this morning and I might add for your neighbour, who has had to deal with such a pedantic imbecile for the last however how long?

Between people decorating your wall for nothing and your garden becoming a new no fly zone, you really do manage to find yourself in some precarious spots in the community?

I know you are full of it because your graffiti issue was on a side wall onto the street, yet you seem to be convinced it is your only neighbour on the far side. Total Bollo , happy typing and a happy new year. If you ever do move to Meath to live in splendid isolation you will be well for it, if I find out where, I am heading over with a large can of industrial black spray paint to mural powerfully stark phallic symbols spurting far and wide across your entire front house, including your windows. you can video that for nothing if you want.

I was advised a little differently! Put up the lovely yellow CCTV signs... ie no cameraThe problem ceased immediately... As long as the nasty neighbour can see the sign. They are surely unlikely to take the risk.

Not sure if you have actually contacted th man and asked him to stop?

Might put a small sign up, next time I'm in the hardware store I'll grab one and stick it on the back wall of my house where he can easily spot it.

No I haven't gone around to him, I may have to but I was just hoping to avoid an awkward confrontation with someone who's temperament I don't know. But if his persistence continues I'll have no choice. I know alot of people would have gone around putting a stop to it by now but I wanted evidence to show it was him. As they say "Never open your mouth until you know what the shot is".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FFS, stop with the cameras - just go around and ask him to tell his kids to stop chucking stuff over the wall (I know he has no kids).

Don't be too accusatory but mention that you've seen stuff come over the wall and you'd appreciate it if it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

If you haven't actually witnessed anyone throwing stuff over the wall, you can't really go around and accuse him . . . might not be him, it could be his misses who's the mystery lobber.

I may end up doing this, I'm just very cautious about getting my facts straight before I point the finger. The last missile was thrown about 25ft into my garden. It was a hard throw not a simple drop over the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

definetly set up a camera. put it in a bird box etc to protect it if needed. at least you will then have evidence and know whats happening.

then go have a chat when you know 100% its with the correct person.

are they aiming the rocks in a particular direction . is there a patern. are they trying to hit something like a light that is blinding them at night

There was a UK TV series "The Nightmare Neighbour Next Door" ....and what I myself am going through in this kind of thing

He is throwing stuff anywhere, front of the garden, back of the garden, middle of the garden. He is just fcking them over like it's totally ok with me.... Lil boll!X

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Much like the OP's "Someone painted my wall without permission" thread, I'm also placing this one firmly in the "Didn't happen" category.

2/10, OP. You've dragged it out too long and forgot to include a "And then everyone clapped" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I've dealt with a few ahole neighbours,same house,consecutive tenants,always parked blocking driveway despite no need,anything from noise to rubbish. I suggest keeping a record and not letting it bother you,because there are worse things than what you describe,but someone chucking a stone over could hurt someone. I wouldnt let it bother you until you know 100% who it is, doorbell camera is common for the front so shouldn't attract attention and deflects from any rear cameras, a birdbox with camera inside is a good idea for back garden,windows can reflect during day&night. Id just apply a cctv sticker discreetly somewhere, but that could still be visible,anyone asks just say its a precaution for your doorbell camera. In my situation,I ended up moving which has been great,problems ended immediately,not possible for everyone,some people are just intent on causing bother so unless it interferes with your day to day life(noise,blocking driveway),Id just carry on and keep a record which is fairly valuable until they get bored or drop themselves in it,it may turn out to be someone else or for some reason not suapected, also people who are intent on trying to bother people (there are complete aholes out there) can get bored if it doesn't get the right attention,especially when they can deny things),when it's certain by all means have a word,buy dont expect that will fix a problem,also Gardai unable/unwilling to do anything so I wouldnt waste time making threats to find the offender out. What size are stones?

Fist sized stones, these were dropped over the boundary, not thrown. This was an early thing that happened and then awhile after it's been larger stuff, bits of wood and stuff.

We do have it in our means to move, we were talking earlier today actually that we might chance flogging the place abit earlier just to go for the bungalow abit sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would hate to have a neighbour like that beside my garden. It takes some amount of pyschopathy from a guy like that to place that sh1t upon your own property.

There is definitely no need for you to tolerate that level of sh1te from your neighbours.

If you have the means to move out of there if it is necessary to allow you find a bit of peace in yourself. Do it as soon if it gets worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

If you happen to bump into him, you could say in a friendly tone ' Hey are you finding things like lumps of wood and random stuff in your garden ? ' and maybe suggest that you thought it might be one of the other neighbours that's doing it and had it happened to him? laugh it off that its not a major issue anyway.

That way you will give him an easy opportunity to reply passively, simple for him to deny and that he hasn't noticed anything.

But now the issue has been acknowledged and it could very well desist.

If say he does reply admit then you could say , 'Listen, they didn't come from my side honestly !' as if he may be returning stuff that had been chucked into his garden. It's another opportunity to create a deflection from escalation.

On a side note, when I was growing up , say between10 - 16 year old, my next-door neightbour (slightly older) had been throwing rubbish over our garden wall.

So naturally I used to fling it back. It quickly turned to banter but went on for years - Shopping trolleys, traffic cones you name it. We were completely immature but very competitive. I got a Turkey carcass lodged in his laurel bush and it drove the dogs crazy.

It went on from there, we used to sign him up for free hearing aids from ads in the Sunday papers and he would retort with something else.

One of the lads went around at 6am and gathered all the milk bottles from the doorsteps on our road and left like 34 litres of milk at his front door.

He had to deliver them all back, it was the 80's , back when every neighbour on the street knew and talked to each other. Words got around that the McG's had everybody's milk.......

Am I legally required to inform my neighbours that I am installing a CCTV camera ? I have a chap coming up next week to install two of them, one at the front and one at the back of the house.

are you going to be recording them or their property?

No, these are just recording the perimeter of the property, not overlooking fences into anyone else's property or public areas.

Then I wouldn't bother telling them. However, you could pop around and tell them that somehow stuff is being fired into your garden and will be putting them up. This would make them think twice before doing it again.

I put up a nice clear yellow CCTV warning sign in the garden where they can easily spot it should they peek out their windows into my garden. This is a nice precursor to the cameras going up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If you see them doing it, just throw it back over the fence.

Forgot to update this. I installed a camera high up on the back wall of the house overlooking the whole back garden. The ahole neighbour who caused me to install this camera in the first place had the neck to make a complaint stating the camera was looking into his garden which it wasn't.. Camera was examined by a data protection chap and the complaint was disproven. He also stopped throwing sht into my garden. I see him now and again walking up past the house pushing a pram with a big gritty face on him. I guess he is upset he cannot throw stuff into my garden anymore. So CCTV systems around your house will stop these characters. We are now in the planning process of selling the house and finding a little bungalow somewhere outside Dublin. Can't wait for the freedom of not having neighbours on top of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

Could it be birds building a nest in your house and dropping bits and bobs? Or in your neighbours? Was the neighbours house uninhabited during sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Then you only have to worry about travellers !

Advertisement