Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension quote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭Gusser09

100 percent agree. FWIW and Engineer for periodic inspection and certificatiin isnt huge money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭baldbear

We have a small kitchen and always wanted to get an extension but I'm in tears at the prices. Roughly around €90k for a 20msq extension is what I'm hearing.

Getting redundancy money shortly and I can't justify spending it all on such a small extension.

Where will this all end. People on average wages and a couple of kids can hardly afford this.

Sickened.

Its already starting to end in my opinion. Suppliers are slowing down and I don't think builders have as many jobs waiting to start as this time 12-18 months ago. People are just holding off or cancelling completely. My advise would be to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Just an update on this.

Got the last quote in. For 1st fix including windows/skylights, 113k including VAT.

Will be getting complete breakdown figures next week.

Hope is going well for you OP!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Builders on holiday at the moment, but reasonable progress so far. We’re having a serious issue with esb and them moving the connection to our house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭enricoh

I dealt with them before n it was an absolute nightmare. I might as well have been ringing the white House asking to speak to Joe biden! Start doing yoga or something - you'll need it! Best of luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah i know, the electrical subcontractor has said they'll give someone cash so they'll turn up.. madness

Work travel, builders holidays so a bit of an update. Things have gone well enough, have been delayed with some changed steel requirements and with the esb 🤦‍♂️

looks like a fine job. Well done. Won't be long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

update please

• Advertisement

So this did not go to plan.

we had to get in another builder, will provide a full update but will be a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This will be interesting to hear how this pans out. 🙈

Just had a read through the thread there and prices quoted are astronomical, I guess gone are the days of 20k extensions 😱 A friend recently had an attic converted and it was €40k+ in what I would've considered a very small attic. I'm not sure if OP went ahead with his attic but as with most Dublin 3 bed semis there doesn't appear to be much in the way of head room up there.

Hope you weren't caught too badly OP, changing contractors mid build is very stressful and usually best avoided. It looks as though it will be a fantastic home once completed. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Was just having a conversation with himself about a small 8m2 rear of house extension for a small playroom.... but I guess we are dreaming if these are the prices we are looking at. Jaysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dylan97

I feel your pain. We have receieved two qoutes so far of 80k and above for a 20 square meter extension.

Builders are either milking it or prices are really just through the roof. I'm in the process of building out a bill of materials to understand what the material cost is

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

I mean if I had 40 grand to spend I'd just sell up and upgrade. But I like my home. Id be really interested to see what the projections are in terms of cost etc. I mean I have to wait either way because I dont have that kind of money!

For the likes of that you could try using direct labour. Its not rocket science escpecially if planning is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

This is insane. €4K per square metre? Is this in Dublin? Don’t know how builders are justifying this. It’s time for people to get more creative for their money to go further.

It's in meath. Totally crazy. I'm going down the self build route and managing / doing bits my self. No way am I handing over 80k

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭society4

Is that builders finish or does it include the kitchen etc….

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Holy moly, I bought a 113sqm house for 400k early this year and I know that’s a rip off. The previous owner bought it at 180k like 20 years ago.

and now a 100sqm extension without completely finish ask price is 300k

fat profit!

maybe think of ways sticking w ground or just stick w attic. Might be less costly?

• Advertisement

Just to give you a comparsion

my old man knows building house

he helped build my house as like he was PM it, and he hired people did foundation, blocks, plastering…etc. he did the roof himself with help. and bought all the material ourselves.

our house in total cost less than 200k

and it’s a 280sqm house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

When was this?

I suggest to people to bide their time, there are obviously enough people willing to pay these costs to keep the number of active builders busy at the moment. Most people haven't got that money.

But when that cohort of people have spent their money and more builders come into the extension game, their prices will have to drop.

As for materials, not so sure.

May or may not be economic downturn coming but if it does, then you'll get builders

Well it’s almost 6 years ago so yes you are right. Material is higher also.

the other thing is it took us 2 years to finish the house.

i remember the block guy didn’t come back for a month said broke his leg. While my old man said he might got another job and is finishing that one firstly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've done work in my house with my dad's assistance, knocked a wall to open plan, built fake chimney breast, extended kitchen....the 1 thing that always stood out as you say is the length of time it took us.

We tiled the downstairs bathroom once in our spare time, great job but it took us forever. Got a tiler into do the main bathroom and ensuite after that, he was here 2 days on each and the 2nd day wasn't even full.

I know it takes forever but it’s worth it though compare the money can be saved.

Builders finish. I'm going to dig foundation's end of February / March and do what I can myself. Will be hiring in trades for electrics, plumbing and roof.

I wanted soneome in to do it for the convenience and time, but no way am I borrowing more money or spending our savings on a 20sqm box. The mrs is fine with it taking longer and saving the money also

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Material prices in a number of areas are decreasing. I'm building a house at the moment. Supplier for reinforcing steel advised this week that 6mm is now €40, in November it was €50. Timber way down as well.

Another supplier advised that a price reduction is coming for floor insulation (PIR) which would be welcome as at current prices it would cost me 6k.

With wholesale gas prices so low one would hope price reductions for cement based products are not too far away.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Hopefully builders will feed those prices to the consumer and 3-4k per sqm isn't the new norm they are going to try and get way with while the country is booming.

Some updated pictures, expect to be weather proof by the end of Jan barring any delays with windows/doors etc.

Expect to be back in end of March/start of april.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Looks like things might be getting a bit better.

Just had a mail from a builder I got a quote from last October for a 40 sqm extension.

The quotes I got were €95k to 120k.

This guys quote was 105k.

We decided not to go ahead with it at those prices.

He has come back today and said he is free to start in March and due to prices falling back for materials his new quote in €80k.

I think thats still too much but I might go get some fresh quotes from other builders and see how it goes.

Its a single story at the back of the house in Dublin.

Advertisement