Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repairing instead of throwing out

• 23-06-2019 1:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be useful to have a thread with a list of places that you can contact to have things fixed when they break, instead of having to throw them away.

Maybe if we find lots of them they could then be grouped by county and/or by type of object repaired.

1. I recently came across this website: https://www.repairmystuff.ie/
    2. "Gas and Electrical Service Centre" - Market Square, Ballina, Co. Mayo (opposite Tesco).

Anyone else?

(I have no affiliation whatsoever to these companies/sites)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Good idea.... I don't have a repair outlet to share, but a good story about why it is necessary.

A friend had a 32 inch 10 yr old Sony Bravia TV that broke down just before Christmas and an urgent replacement was duly bought and installed in time for festive viewing.

The TV was powering up and then switching off, before coming on and off again by itself several times and then flashing a red light a few times. It did this every time it was powered up and it would not stay on. The set was destined for the recycle heap, but I was asked to take a look.

A quick google revealed that the power on/off sequence and the red led flashing, was an error code, indicating that the TV signal VHF/UHF tuner card was faulty. In fact, the tuner card has not been used since Ireland converted to digital TV signals (Saorview) and the set was effectively only used as a monitor with a satellite box connected to the HDMI port.

Despite the fact that this method of reception should still work (along with the other other HDMI and SCART ports), the set shut down.... all because an obsolete and unused component was faulty. The set could have simply displayed a message saying that the tuner (that is not being used) is faulty, but instead it shut down completely and refused to allow operation through any of the other still available methods.

Another quick google located a second hand tuner module for €15 and the set is now working again. How many TV sets of the same model ended up being dumped because of a scandalous attempt to generate additional sales?

I think the planet has long lost the right to convenience of simply replacing items and we need to look at more repairs - like in the old days. Certainly don't let manufacturers con us into additional and unnecessary purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Here's a good resource for several every day items guidelines.
    You can add information as well to help someone else fix a problem later.

https://www.ifixit.com/

I think that to see real change in this area, we are going to have to get to a place where we see legislation forcing manufacturers to make spare parts available and that every product be designed for repair it at all possible. Or if not, at least designed for re-use.

Big battle to bring it in though given the revenue from new product sales and the employment in doing so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I hear it recently that there is some EU legislation in the pipelines that will indeed force manufacturers to provide spare parts for a reasonable number of years (when, and how many years, I don't know).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ger Roe wrote:
    Another quick google located a second hand tuner module for €15 and the set is now working again. How many TV sets of the same model ended up being dumped because of a scandalous attempt to generate additional sales?

I suspect I have the same problem with a set, is this an easy fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know locally there is a man that repairs Washing machines/dryers/etc. I'd say if you searched local ads or asked around you might find similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I know of you local there a man that repairs Washing machines/dryers/etc. I'd say if you searched local ads or asked around you might find similar.

Our local TV whiz packed it in years ago, I know another chap that knows his stuff as well, but says he doesn't bother anymore, I'd nearly give it a go myself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's exactly the problem, there used to be a guy around here too but his shop went ages ago, and everyone I asked if there was anyone else told me that they didn't know, didn't think so, and that sure it wasn't worth repairing things, that getting new ones was cheaper. But that's not the point, and it isn't always true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fairly coincidental to a job I have to do over the next few days.

Thermostat on my oven packed in, wife was delighted as she had a new one picked out before the oven light had gone bloody out!

Her disappointment when I told her that it would be fixed by Friday was palpable ;)

I generally repair or repurpose quite a lot of my electrical and electronic gear, more out of stubbornness than any green notions.

As my mother once told me, I tend to break my stuff so I know how to fix everyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

banie01 wrote: »
    Thermostat on my oven packed in, wife was delighted as she had a new one picked out before the oven light had gone bloody out!

Her disappointment when I told her that it would be fixed by Friday was palpable ;)

I think this aspect plays a big part in it. In todays society we are all pushed to have the newest and best even though the difference is minimal so if there is any excuse to replace something we jump on the chance.

Right to repair is being pushed a lot in the US and there is some movement on it here hopefully we will see more progress on it.

So often on electronics it is something relatively small that has gone wrong (e.g. a blown capacitor or loose connection) it really is a shame to replace the whole unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I think this aspect plays a big part in it. In todays society we are all pushed to have the newest and best even though the difference is minimal so if there is any excuse to replace something we jump on the chance.

Right to repair is being pushed a lot in the US and there is some movement on it here hopefully we will see more progress on it.

So often on electronics it is something relatively small that has gone wrong (e.g. a blown capacitor or loose connection) it really is a shame to replace the whole unit.

Totally agree with this.
    There's some level of knowledge required to repair something but at the same time if the companies start off with a design and policy of not support repairs then the consumer really has no choice.
    I've repaired bits and pieces over the years - and found youtube, among other sites, such as this, a great resource.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Wanderer78 wrote: »

In the Sony, it was.. the board was held in place with a few screws and all the required connections were made through removable ribbon cable connectors.
    Ironic that having a working analogue card installed allows the TV to power up again, even though it will never again receive a signal.

The usual precautions apply... don't attempt the repair unless you are competent and are aware of the safety measures to be taken when working on exposed circuitry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Check out the ifixit link above. Sony TV's have a section.

I've just come across this thread in the Sligo forum - might come in handy for someone who lives nearby.

(I've no affiliation with this company).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

And just to add, for Dublin, Mastercare (in, I think, Clontarf) have guys that seem to be proud to repair rather than replace, even though they sell new stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are very good stockists of replacement parts too. I have fixed dryers, washing machines, and cookers with parts sourced there.

Advertisement