Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ is a disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TV3 or Virgin Media wotsit is even worse.

Thank jebus for streaming is all I can say. Couldn't stand watching the unfunny adult panto complete with panto dame that is Mrs BBs.

RTE, current affairs aside, is more misses than hits.

• i don’t really have strong feelings one way or the other for RTE personally, so I assure you I’m not trying to close down anything or anyone.

I just happened to notice something. It’s even more interesting to me because the aforementioned has been accused of previously having multiple accounts in order to signal boost an argument/opinion etc in an effort to add substance. They denied such behaviour but it just seemed funny when I saw the two accounts doing so right now, typing very similarly & with very similar bios.

I don’t know or care about the radio forum, so again, keep the accusations of conspiracy theories or indeed shutting down opinions other than mine to yourself. I’m open to listening to (and if warranted) debating any topic or opinion. I don’t seek to shut people down unless they are providing nothing of substance.

That said, there’s no fun in any discussion where users are making alts to bolster their own agenda and make it appear more valid or whatever.

I think we as a country need public broadcasting, so privatisation should not be an option, but there is a rot in rte , it probably hails back to Ireland getting its independence and thinking it’s the bbc , rte is too numbers driven , we need stop trying to complete with commercial stations and spend the money showing proper arts and less expensive personalities , more creedon less darcy would a good summation of ted point I’m trying to make . Get that right and you’ll never know , the audience might be there !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, loads of interesting stuff and people out there. We are paying €€€ for the most bland, tedious and conservative stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Agree. They need to follow Tna G's model of specially Irish programming not cooking on ice or whatever it is that they inevitably fail at.

If we're paying for a national broadcaster let's have national broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So why use or have TV if it is as bad as you say?

I decided in the UK that the internet was enough for me so I ditched the TVs. ( I had 2 and two video recorders at one stage)

When I came to Ireland I rented a house and put the TV in a cupboard... Never missed it once.

There is always plenty online. At my pace etc. Big events too are well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

I completely agree with you. I live happily without relying on the TV as a past time. I can go weeks and even sometimes months without sitting down and watching TV. Its nice to have the big screen for Christmas time and for watching movies. The TV listings was appalling this year and had to rely on the online movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Dont forget fair city. An absolute pox on every man woman and child in the state.

With Dermot Bannon and Doreen Garrihy also doing their bi annual late late interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think vast majority people have Browns Boys sussed, as being absolute gick

• Advertisement

The Hidden Camera thing is already getting a repeat tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

RTE have a decent drama archive but their attitude to it is indeed disgraceful.

Would love to see the likes of The Burke Enigma on DVD. If it was made by ITV or BBC then a DVD release would be a certainty. [see www.networkonair.com]

Failing that, some repeats or even a streaming option would be good. But we get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

That was only on last week, the exact same episode. It would make great TV if they made a couple of episodes but they only made one and have it on repeat.

• tbh in my opinion there’s not much wrong with the showings on RTE (most of them anyway) like I’m not saying they’re good I’m saying they’re not that bad.

All that said, they pay certain people way too much money and popularise or make “celebrities” of gobshites too often.

I think it should be given as much funding as it needs to manage, without paying BS wages and produce shows that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

It wouldn’t bother me one way or the other if they did nothing more than show the news and weather on RTE tbh.

The Six One is the only thing that brings me to turn on RTE too, therein may lie the problem.

Read up.

Great kids program that taught and instilled sense of Irishness in kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

... another problem not peculiar to RTE ... soaps!! ... where do I begin ?? ... others in my household watch em all .. FC ... Emmerdale ... Coronavirus Street!! ... etc ... all stories the same ... poor acting ... cliches everywhere ... them .. plus the ones I didn't name .. are all on way too long ... could not watch them myself anymore ... some were good 20 years back ..

RTE are no worse than any of the other terrestrial Irish and British channels ... if you were to rely on actual trad TV over Christmas you'd be miserable ... some desperate stuff across the board on all those non-RTE channels here ... sometimes the RTE content was actually better ...

In today's world ... one can be famous for just being famous ... that seeps into RTE but is endemic in UK and US too ... and often the argument is made when one discusses this pushing certain people at us ... that it did not happen in Uncle Gaybo's days ... I can assure you it did ... people were martyred or treated with (depending on your view) very regular appearances of the likes of Maureen Potter and Tom O'Connor back then ... not to mention Mrs Brown creator Brendan O'Carroll along with Boyzone being launched back then ...

I think RTE's funding should be generous but audited ... Tubridy and co should not be getting crazy salaries ... and money should not be spent on programmes people do not want or that have passed their sell by date ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Rte are no worse than others"

A great standard to measure yourself with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How is the weather forecast a joke?

Don't tell me, they always get it wrong?

The forecast comes from Met Eireann,cwho are very good at what they do.

Their app is the only one I would trust formy local weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How many people who say they don’t watch tv watch tv programs on the likes of the RTÉ player,od4 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

RTE regularly repeats weather forecasts the next day during Today Show repeats. Editing out the forecast seems to beyond them - result is the presenters/meteorologists talking about tonight's weather when what they actually mean is last night's weather.

Lazy, useless, sloppy broadcasting. And ME are nearly as bad for allowing themselves to be associated with this nonsense.

As for ME's competence, they may be good forecasters but there are issues with forecast presentation graphics. I highlighted this in the ME thread in the weather forum during the recent cold spell. There was also an issue with a wind warning a couple of days ago.

Depends a lot on who's presenting it. Some are sketchier than others on the details.

Also the graphics need updating to the twentieth century at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RockOrBog

The app is good, I didn't suggest it wasn't, in fact I never mentioned it at all.

The actual TV forecast is useless, a vague effort, it seems to tell you 5 things you don't need to know and none of what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I agree with you about the weather forecast on RTÉ. It is not good for them to have to downgrade the quality of the weather maps sometimes when the cameras are in SD on the telly.

When I watch the TV weather forecasts; it has blocky text on it sometimes which is not a good broadcasting standard in 2023. The quality of the writing on the weather when looking at it up close on the TV is appalling.

The 5 day weather outlook is the only part of it that goes out in HD. The rest of it looks dreadful.

• why are you looking at it up close anyway? As for the map itself that’s just done on greenscreen so that’s likely the root of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

TG4 is a great station, not bad for a gang a muckers from Connemara, go h'an a mhaith ar fad, Bula Bus etc.

Agree. Close down Montrose and give its assets to the TG4 crowd in Galway.

At the end of the day ... RTE, Virgin, all of these ... they are all just copies of the British channels a lot of the time ... and the British channels sometimes copy the US ones ...

Crimes against humanity such as Operation Transformation, Dancing with the Stars and First Dates are all examples of utter drivel that gets pushed year in year out on RTE ... but the concepts here are for the most part copies of UK and/or US versions ... when someone came up with these things first day they discovered a way to create cheap filler that meant they could keep back money to pay their 'stars' instead of making decent content ...

This Dancing thing in particular takes up so much time ... 2 hours every Sunday for 3 months !! Meanwhile anything decent will be on for 6-8 weeks for about an hour ... it is time that TV stations deliver better programmes rather than dishing out the same old reality TV drivel year in year out .. these yokes have some following but TV stations must think we are all simpletons and/or into the same stuff ... it is time to give this pandemic of reality TV a rest ..

• Advertisement

.. Hidden Camera ... another jaded concept ... that and people imitating famous people ... seems to be all that they can do for comedy when Mrs Brown is not on ... did not watch the current version ... I remember the PJ Gallagher version ... called Naked Camera IIRC ... was the most unfunny thing of its era ... this from of comedy was fine back in the 1980s with Jeremy Beadle and even Mike Murphy ... but that Gallagher version and most likely that one one this Christmas are awful ...

Advertisement