Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar to tackle Ireland's housing crisis 'Covid-style'

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭Raichu

So where are these places to rent? If I check Daft for instance there’s sweet fcuk all available. The private investor boogeyman you’re speaking of is no where to be found on the rental market from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Having witnessed the absurd response to the pandemic, I would be very worried about a Covid-style government response. Spending with little or no rationale became the order of the day, with a consequence where hotels were 'block-booked' for hordes of sick people that never materialised, vast amounts of money spent on PPE that was rubbish and of little use, an unstoppable delivery schedule of PPE long after it was really required and then storage issues for local health services, highly-paid senior HSE managers brought back from retirement on full-time contracts with no pension abatement (meaning they received their full pension and a full-time salary on top) to pontificate on how things could be done... Yet, the shortage of nursing and medical staff went largely unresolved.... with the failed recruitment drive was embarrassing in it's implementation with little or no credible impact on the ground!

So, what this country needs in response to a housing crisis is a more intelligent and measure response, not Leo's covid-style vision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

He is part of the reason we are where we are.

So by that metric he should be kept 500ft away from any decisions taken to solve the problems he’s helped cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So on one hand these lads all run a mile from any suggestion that there be an independent public review into the government decisions made during the covid farce. There is nothing to be gained from a review they say. No point going over old ground they say.

But on the other hand, they now want to copy the things they did during covid...

If these arseholes want to operate "covid-style" going forward, then lets have a full public enquiry and establish exactly what "covid-style" actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Covid style solution to the housing disaster they created?

So we can expect chaotic communications, lots of meaningless housing crisis "levels", undermining of the experts and utter utter confusion on a daily basis to cover up for decades of FFG bad practice/policy.

Did they bring Covid style solutions to the health service which is an ongoing disaster?

Leo is a joke and his new "plans" are a slight on FF's missed targets since 2020.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

There's a reason Varadkar only barely scraped in at the last election. His own constituents know better than anyone that's he's a spoofer. A social media driven confection. His only ideology being the successful political career of Leo Varadkar.

TBH, I'd pay put more stock in Putin's propaganda than I would anything that spews out of Leo's gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

We need to grow our population to make sure our economy keeps growing

As regards housing and health which are the two biggest issues Ireland faces , the markets decide on this, not the current government and not any future government even with sinn fein can do anything about this

Its not possible , just ask liz truss what happens when you try and stand up to the big investors

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

our economy can’t grow when the bulk of those coming are for the most part, are costing the state and taxpayers serious money…

hotel accommodation, three meals a day, full social welfare, medical cards..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So your solution? Lock em up in tents on bread and water? Such humanity to folk fleeing war! Such a basic lack of reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭asdfg22

I heard the boss of the Land Devolopment Agency which was set up under Leo's watch waffling on the radio just now, it seem they are another NAMA. agencies set-up and give our friends jobs and of course we will have to have a board.

When he was asked a simple question of the cost of a house, he said it was commercially sensitive. Secrets within public agencies is not how a denocracy is supposed to work.

I blame the people as there should have been protests several years ago. The Donegal people got the mica problem adressed with just a few trips to Dublin. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Well unless we grow our population by at least a million over the next 5 to 10 years our economy and especially the welfare state will be in serious trouble

Most of those immigrants are needed for cheap labour.

The reality is large scale immigration is good for the economy overall, for example teachers, landlords, businesses, employers, home owners all benefit from this.

But there are many who don't benefit and I think these people need to understand even if immigration was minimal the chances of them becoming homeowners or getting a social home would still be the same.

The state will never be allowed to borrow to build thousands of social homes as the markets are heavily invested as is and they will not allow thousands of social and affordable homes to be built as this will drive down the value of their current investment.

Time for everyone to understand this and accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bernie138

The 'mica problem' is in no way 'addressed' FYI.

The Donegal people are left swinging in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes but, they should pull their sleeves up and muck in if they intend to stay.

This country shouldn't be a flop house for all comers.

The government cannot be found today as the hospitals report record trolley numbers.

Enda Kenny promised to end the trolley crisis in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Its his usual lips are moving but lies are coming out.

Its like his 50k earnings to get you into the top tax bracket.

Or his 30% tax rate.

Or looking after the people who get up in the morning.

How long have they had now to make these things happen?

I cant believe I voted for that knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not enough beds or people to staff them.

The first looks a lot easier to remedy than the second.

Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime programme, Dr Hickey, who is also a former consultant at Sligo University Hospital said Ireland is entered the clinical winter of 2022/2023 with too few hospital beds and "the dogs on the street know that".

"Emergency departments have been under pressure for months on end and this is just the latest in a series of worsening situations," he said.

Dr Hickey added that Ireland has 2.8 acute hospital beds per thousand of the population, while the OECD average is 4.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Indeed. Just listening to Newstalk and apparently 1400 GP's and 800 Consultants are needed,with corresponding nursing staff no doubt. A lot of GP's are heading for retirement in the next ten years also.

Patients not being seen by is a big factor in backlogs.

who suggested locking them up ? who suggested bread and water ? Not my solution so kindly desist from misrepresenting what I say..

Based on what you have said…id say the basic lack of reality lies very simply.. with you.

• Advertisement

he’s basically a complete fraud. One of the greatest frauds this country has had the misfortune to experience..People go on about the likes of Charlie Haughey but Charlie for what he did do wrong he will look like an absolute angel in comparison to Leo and a few of his enablers…

Varadkar is a fraud and a treasonous one at that… radar completely set to enable….business and business people and to hell what anyone else requires…. People, non taxpayers and everyone and anyone with problems in countries far away..are his priority and far more important…. Wonder does he recall who is paying his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The government secretly loves to see all those silly normal eejits taking out €400,000 worth of fractional reserve money loans and quietly paying them back for the next 30 years. The whole economic system depends on a large % of the population doing exactly that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’ve been aware of your posts for a while and I have to say that your habit of demonising refugees makes me sick to my stomach.

It’s simple maths and the reality of life here. I’d rather people have the ability in a democracy to discuss and debate freely which many of us are doing, regardless of what side of the fence our views emanate from.

So you can get all worked up, and indulge in sly, faux emotive fabrication of this discussion ie. accusations of ‘demonising’ but freedom to express, debate and criticise is a vital cog of a democracy which i quite value…. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Charlie was an extremely capable politician but flawed.

Varadkar on the other hand is a complete spoofer and devoid of any talent.

With his 1.5m a year annual PR spend and 6 advisors costing over 700k a year annually what exactly does he do ?

He isnt fit to run a corner shop or a small GP practice, but identity politics has given him a teflon coat.

Advertisement