Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Seiko Mods

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I've a few bits for the 55fathoms mod if anyone one is interested.
    It's a snzh60k1 with a dagaz dial, and a strap.
    As per this video: https://youtu.be/2r67dBmgst8
    Theres no movement but I have the crown and hands.
    Youd need to put it together and you could pick up a crystal for it.
    All brand new.
    100 euro

Shoot me a pic of what you have, I might be interested. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

snip

Fake dials - bad mojo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH the "submariner" part of that dial I'd have problem with myself. I've no issue with third party dials, because the whole modding thing with Seiko(and Vostok) relies on it and minus the submariner writing I'd be fine with it. I'm equally dubious of the Seiko Blancpain mods that say "Fifty Fathoms" on the dial, though not with the ones that say "FiftyFive Fathoms". Then again we have Steinhart watches that essentially copy and paste Rolex's entire range to a pretty dubious and uncomfortable degree for me and they're very popular and even hold a lot of their value on the used market. They don't AFAIK put things like "submariner" on the dial though?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

What base model are you using and able.to sell for 160 quid with all the modded parts included. Even the cheapest seiko must have you at a loss surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

I'm cool with third party stuff - I've loads. Stuff branded as Seiko when it's not, isn't on.

OEM Seiko dials are silly money nowadays and fakes like that are cashing in on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

stuchyg wrote: »
    What base model are you using and able.to sell for 160 quid with all the modded parts included. Even the cheapest seiko must have you at a loss surely

Looks like its based on a pagani design sub which is less than €70 with an nh35. You can pick up hands and dials pretty cheap in china leaving some profit there. I know most modders charge more for their time but sometimes you can find deals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Looks like its based on a pagani design sub which is less than €70 with an nh35. You can pick up hands and dials pretty cheap in china leaving some profit there. I know most modders charge more for their time but sometimes you can find deals

The seller seems to be insinuating that he is selling modded seikos was why I asked, he isn't like you selling a genuine seiko which he has modded, these are feikos and probably shouldn't be allowed be sold on adverts tbh

stuchyg wrote: »
    The seller seems to be insinuating that he is selling modded seikos was why I asked, he isn't like you selling a genuine seiko which he has modded, these are feikos and probably shouldn't be allowed be sold on adverts tbh

The first one does appear to be a vintage seiko skx case but I'm not 100%, the second one is definitely a pagani design case (look at the crown)

Its listed as seiko nh35 mod which is accurate it is a mod based on a seiko nh35.

It's very common in the modding scene to use aftermarket cases and some of the cheaper nh35 based watches are a great place to start.

Bump, is anyone working on seiko mods at the minute?

I'm going to do a mod in the near future using a Andoandoando A1 case and a custom dial.

I might be getting one of the new Seiko NH34 GMT movements in for a mod too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I follow a few modders on instagram who have stores. I wouldn't attempt myself unless I had a few half decent tools.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Kinda - I have some bits which nearly add up to a full watch (albeit a mongrel of a thing), but I've had such a horrible time trying to install the seconds hand in my last few projects that I've taken a break from it. I want to do something with an NH70 movement, but they're pricey and I'll probably mess it up.

Here's a parts bin one I am wearing today. It was originally a Blackbay homage, but I didn't really like the painted aluminium red bezel insert, so stuck on another bezel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The look won't be to everyone's (anyone's?) taste, but I was a bit bored of diver variations. I think solid hands would help with the legibility, but I don't think I have the will to open it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

Thats nice. The hands are only an issue in tbe daytime. At night the lume sorts it out 🥳😁🥳

Here's a blurry lume shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hi all. Anyone any experience with this seller? Also on Instagram as "irelandseikomods"

Any input appreciated, thanks.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Appears to do tidy work but he has a steel dive sd1970 sterile with a seiko logo stuck on looking for 295 which cost him a hundred eueo and 8 minutes of his time....

Done it myself lately but wouldn't be selling it for more than half that

https://touch.adverts.ie/sports/brand-new-willard-mod-seiko-nh35-automatic-sapphire-ceramic-solid-bracelet/28943306

Finished this last night - it's not the dial I had planned to use, but the one I first tried didn't fit (it had an integrated chapter ring so was too tall). I had this one in the parts bin though, and I think it looks OK.

Cutting the crown stem was the trickiest part as there is very little margin for error with the crown guard thingy - lots of very tiny adjustments to get it right. I have a smooth bezel which would much better match the PAM look, but this one is proving a PITA to remove so far.

Nice:)

When I cut a crown it's invariably 6mm I'm taking off on most Seiko stuff. I was doing just this two hrs ago. I use my Leatherman diamond file to champer the raw edge and some loctite once the crown touches all the way down.

A pin vice is mega useful too.

I can see how that case you have there poses a challenge.

I have a marine master 300 monocoque frame coming which uses a split stem and a locking collar which joins them through the seals which is gona be great fun.

It came down to snipping off one turn of the thread at a go to get it just right - if you don't shave enough off, you can't adjust the time as the top of the crown rubs against the guard. With a normal crown, I've found that if the stem is a fraction too long, it doesn't really make a ton of difference. Luckily I thought ahead and bought some spare stems, which I ended up dipping in to.

On the flip side I got the seconds hand on in about 5 minutes, which was a nice change. Still can't get the bezel off - I have one of those rubber circular tools but it's useless, and it feels too flush with the case to get a metal tool under. I can't see the little gap that OEM Seiko bezels have - the downside of ordering off AliX I guess.

100% on spare stems lol, been there.

Yeah your crown guard there requires a bit of exactness. Is it screwdown also? I'm unfamiliar with that style.

A good tip with screw downs is to take two measurements and use the smaller.

First is with crown compressed, from it's edge to case, second is uncompressed crown edge to crown tube threads.

Use the smaller and work your way in gradually until you have crown pop and can still wind the watch without having to engage the threads and still seal the crown. Some crowns on Ali do not have stem or crown tube sealing but reply upon the a seal bed inside the crown which compresses against the inside of the crown tube *only* when fully wound in. Getting stem length too long with these, even fractionally, results in a waterlogged movement. Yeah deffo gotta be wide re ali cases. I story to stick with heimdallar as much as possible, they always deliver quality.

Check this dial I was going to use today. It's for the parts bin as the printing is weak on the number three indice.

Re your Bezel, there's usually a spot between the lugs where a tool edge will go. If not you should try around seven and just use an old Swiss army blade (with the watch in a holder and protection tape) it'll come off eventually.

Or buy this:)

€ 24,97 35%OFF | Watch Bezel Opener Ring Baffle Remover Baffle Removal Tool Workbench Watch Back Case Cover Opener Watch Repair Tool Watchmaker

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msTOOkE

• Advertisement

"My" SKX011J with seiko hands/dial, nh36, Heimdallar case and aluminium gold trim bezel insert (hard to find!). This was to be less of a mod and more of a higher spec rep with the exception of a white tipped second hand which I prefer to the oe all black.

Finish is perfect, polish, brushing, transitions, alignment and the crown is triple sealed. Case blew through the 50m pressure test. Only criticism I can level is having to spend ten minutes cleaning the inside of the case/crystal (I use fresh from the dryer cotton cloth, window cleaner and lots of air).

Took it off the orange trim strap as the watch is loud enough? Think it looks better on the 22m black fkm tropical rubber.

This piece won't be to everyones taste but I wanted a "summer watch" and this is it. Has to be the most extravagant watch I've built for myself.

Finally put the bother of not having every conceivable spring bar in every size and di incl curved well and truly to bed. Those with ass burgers marvel at the above:)

More fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Some of these are amazing, well done!

I've done little more than change watch straps on mine, but am thinking of changing bezel and insert on my SRPD:

I'm thinking of sub-style bezel and dark blu ceramic insert. Questions:

1. Is this something that can be done relatively easily?
    2. Is seikomods the best site?
    3. Is a bezel opening tool a requirement or a nice to have?

Thanks in advance!

If it were mine if go coin edge Bezel, sub style on a seiko ain't for me.

Generally a coured bezel will be a nod to or compliment to that colour elsewhere. It's not a hard and fast rule but say you have a blue chapter ring or even just blue marker pips or blue writing on the dial, or even a splash on blue on the second hand tip. The bezel colour might compliment this.

As your watch is black and white a blue insert might look a little mismatched. I wholly accept the above is entirely subjective though.

€ 22,67 | Flat 38mm BGW9 Lume C3 Lume Top Quality Ceramic Bezel Insert SKX007/SKX009/SKX011 Mod Super Green Blue Black

The second one, which is yours but in ceramic but with bgw9 blue lume would look nice. Outwardly still stock but with an uplifted face thanks to the ceramic and a lightshow at night:)

The tool ain't essential but certainly helps. Use tape to prevent scrapes. Some come off easy, others require a wrestle.

Seikomods are good to deal with and reassuringly expensive but Aliex is cheaper and if you buy the better stuff with actual good reviews keft by modder it's generally the same if not better than seikomods and namoki etc.

My mm300 heimdallar case and bracelet landed today and is better built and visibly better finished than more expensive offerings from modding specific resellers.

It's not really a seiko mod but has the nh under the hood so qualifies, sorta:)

Prior to buying the Murph I had the idea of making a homage, and here it is.

Quality of dial and hands is pretty amazballs, case too which is 39.4mm. Glad I opted for 42 in the real thing but still and all this is pretty awesome, daughter digs it so she may get it.

Advertisement