Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

England win… Leach with the wicket, a fantastic climax to an interesting and entertaining test.

Leach gets Shah LBW… gets sent upstairs for DRS but it’s hitting leg dead middle of the stump and relief all around for England. They take the victory, deserved.

a side note, disappointing to see more disingenuous antics from Pakistani players… coupled with more piss weak umpiring but a quality, entertaining, cliff hanger of a test none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Extraordinary really how they’ve managed to turn it all around. It’s like they found a cheat code.

Pretty pathetic by Pakistan it has to be said. Losing on such a flat one against a team with no express pace or elite spinner and had an illness in the team that put the game starting on schedule in doubt.

Australia are murdering the West Indies again. Grateful the West Indians are I’m sure that it’s just a two match series…the run rate is only 3.7 but their bowers aren’t laying a glove on the Australian batsmen in terms of taking wickets to swing things in their favour.

Didn’t watch much of the early stuff today, heard the Pakistan innings was hopelessly bad. Block, block, block then big shot and out. A lot more traditional batting by England second time around has them in complete control now.

One more wicket and England are into the all rounders / bowlers. So England favourites but not exactly odds on.

Still be backing England but they do still need 6 wickets, Pakistan require 157 runs.

one thing you can be sure of, with two days play remaining and a very favorable weather forecast…no rain forecasted at all… there will be a result and likely tomorrow day four.. One win predictor which I’d agree with says…

ENG - DRAW - PAK

58.5 % - .5 % - 41%

Australia thrash the West Indies… beating them by 419 runs… West Indian team bowled out for 77 in their second innings 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

I predict England will beat Australia in the upcoming Ashes series next year.

I tend to agree... they have a good mixture of youth and experience... i wonder about Jimmy Anderson though.. 41 next summer...

Australia haven’t won an away Ashes in twenty years despite all the whitewashes they dished out at home in the meantime. They’re always competitive though, I mean it took concussing Smith and a miracle by Stokes to stop them last time. Smith should have more help next time with Labushchange and Head. And a quality all rounder in Green. Boland will suit England. Should be another close series, it’s hard to bet against England on current form though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Great win by England again this morning. Two close games that they just about managed to be on right side of and they have both been very entertaining to watch.

Controversial moment on the final day when Saud Shakeel edged it down the legside and Ollie Pope may or may not have used the ground to get his hands under the ball. The third umpire gave Pope the benefit of the doubt but it was a very close call, with the ball appearing to have touched the ground. Apparently the soft signal given from the on-field umpire doesn't matter anymore and so in that case, it was a fortunate wicket for England.

Regardless, it's another impressive milestone for Stokes and McCullum. They have unearthed a couple of batsmen that look like they will have long careers in the test side in Pope and Brook and they have a good number of options now in the bowling department.

Dismayed by the West Indies at the weekend as a good few of their line-up looked miles away from being international standard and they were absolutely trashed. They have however had a pretty decent year in Test Cricket, but by a quirk of the World Test Championship calendar, they are due to play Australia against this time next year which already looks ominous.

Already looking forward to the Ashes next year as Australia are probably the best test side around at the moment and putting this current England side against them is just absolutely box office.

Was amazed that catch was given. Just automatically think those are not out.

It was poor cricket to offer them chances to Wood anyway. And then Salman screwed up not farming the strike. Twice he took two boundaries off the last two balls of the over and exposed 10 and 11 to a full over. And both times they fell to the first ball. Really amateur stuff in a tight chase.

• Advertisement

Strange by Stokes to have Joe Root open the bowling. Leach did so yesterday.

Light is decent… im all for thinking outside the box but if I’m one of these openers that is mana from heaven.

Joe Root takes a wicket every 2.4 tests, not innings… as I type he’s going for runs. Sixes. Don’t need to be Ricky Ponting to see the flaw in that decision.

no close catchers for Root and not even a single slip or short leg for Mark Wood either … ultra defensive field.. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Just checked the score - Pakistan imploding again I see, one decent partnership. On their home territory as well, is this the effect of too much emphasis on short format cricket for them?

What a debut for the leggie. Don’t understand why it took so long to bring him on today.

Pakistan might still win this yet but have they been so poor this series. Batting soft, zero fast bowling and only for Abrar, subpar spinners. Babar shown up by Stokes captaincy wise too. See a lot of their fans sick of him and want him changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yeah while the young lad has done well, I thought Pakistan were awful and wickets lost very cheaply.

Pakistan need wickets and his field is spread eagle here. No close catchers, no slips.. no pressure… no clue…. Ridiculous captaincy

Light is fading fast, the English have won the series, can’t lose the test, no wickets down, just throw the bat at it. Duckett has to an extent but anyway. DRS does for Crawley, so one down.. back tomorrow it look like.

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

55 needed. This has been the most disappointing test with regard to the fight Pakistan have put up. Very comfortable for England.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Was watching the Boxing Day test match in Melbourne over night and how South Africa are third in the Test championship table is an absolute mystery to me with that batting line-up. They are shocking.

Verreynne and Jansen got them some sort of score but that pitch was a pretty good batting strip and as good as you can get in Australia and I could easily see South Africa in the field for at least the next day and a half and completely out of the game.

Pakistan might as well be back playing in the UAE with the pitiful crowd in Karachi today. Pitch and their form not helping but still, listened to them for a decade looking for it to come back and then no one shows up.

Wonder why NZ gave up their Boxing Day and New Years slot at home to tour there at this time. Not like they get any crowds either.

South Africa getting murdered by the Aussies, odds on that SA fall to an innings defeat.. and go 2-0 down in the 3 test series….only 5 wickets left in their second innings and trailing by 244 runs.. they be doomed..

New Zealand vs Pakistan and Kane Williamson is rapidly running out of partners. He’d be hoping that Sodhi can hang around and averaging over 20 that might be possible , they’d probably be satisfied with an 60 - 70 run lead all things considered…

• Advertisement

In big contrast to England, New Zealand gone with the traditional game plan, bat long and steady, hoping attrition and scoreboard pressure reaps reward. Coming directly after and at the same ground, it’s like a experiment for Bazball with this being the control.

Pakistan are so poor at the moment they’ll find a way to lose either way.

Pakistani lads just scoring at 2.48 an over… block city. In fairness it’s working to a degree they’ve enabled as it stands for the draw to be the overwhelmingly likely result.

Minimum New Zealand need for victory with both time and runs a factor is probably 4 wickets in the morning session…. Big ask but time is the enemy

Watching a bit of the Women’s T20 Super Smash and wondering how in the name of thundering jaysiz has the level of umpiring in world cricket plummeted so much… fair enough this is not elite international teams competing or cricket at its international apex but two lbw’s in the one over…one hitting several inches, maybe 4-5 inches outside off, the other hitting outside off and going over the stumps by the same distance… No DRS available…but given out. DRS is not compatible with the broadcast technology being used im reading…..as I type a no ball full toss at chest height gets called by the third umpire, two geniuses on field haven’t a notion….closer to throat height.

I wouldn’t write Australia off for the next ashes. Handy side developing. How they get on in India results and injury wise will make or break them. They’ve been fairly ruthless. I thought they batted too long but that really knocked the stuffing out of a desperately poor SA.

Green is the all rounder they’ve been waiting for. He makes their team. Good all round pace and seam bowling unit. (Edit: a word on Starc, what a warrior. To bowl that spell to not leave his team 2 bowlers down with a unattached tendon, epic).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I love that tournament, if only to see the lovely grounds in New Zealand they play at. But yeah umpiring is pretty awful in this game.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Yep they are super picturesque….. might get over that direction, be something to see and experience.. good cricket being played too.. could do with the umpires upping it though.

Really looking forward to it. The wave England are riding makes them favourites but I doubt anyone is writing Australia off. Boland looks like the biggest change from the last time. Easy to picture him causing chaos. Starc was incredibly brave but I see him losing out when Hazlewood returns.

Before that, Starc will be key in India with his pace and swing. India have lost only twice at home in ten years or something crazy like that. Expect more pitches that spin from ball one and that record to continue.

Aleem Dar’s lightmeter just prolonged Babar’s captaincy career. One of the most ridiculous declarations I’ve ever seen.

Second test is very interesting…

Tim Southee declaring to set Pakistan 319 for victory. 3 overs tonight for Pakistani lads to bat there and tomorrow’s play. Won’t be easy but they don’t need to score anyway fast.

Brave or brain dead from Southee. Given New Zealand are 1-0 up in this 2 test series… and it’s very much a batsman’s paradise…you’d have to say brain dead.. All NZ had to do was see out tonight, bat 10- 12 overs in the morning… series victory guaranteed…

that said, there is me criticising Southee and Southee bowls Shafique second delivery of the innings, in comes Hamza as night watchman… advantage New Zealand. 😳

• Advertisement

either way it’s worked out well, Pakistan lose 2 wickets in 2.5 overs without scoring a run, Southee with big swing

NZ have a chance here.

Advertisement