Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

You need to decide that you don't drink anymore. If you constantly need to refresh your commitment then you're still a prisoner to drink.

Try Allen Carr's book. It helped me to get in the right frame of mind. The book itself is a hard read. I quit after a couple of chapters and downloaded the audiobook instead. Listened to it over the course of a week. I was sceptical about it, bit it's well worth listening to and if it works for you then afterwards you won't need to refresh your commitment every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

I was similar to you, I gave up drinking "permanently" and lasted 4.5 months the first 3 times. This 4th time will be 7 years in a couple of weeks so I hope it is permanent. The first 3 times were all triggered by some catastrophic night drinking, losing phones etc. Those times are posted on this thread.

This last time I was on a beach holiday at Christmas and I had time to look back over the previous year. Even though I had clocked up 4.5 months sober that year I didn't have anything to show for it. No progress in finances, career etc, though I had gotten into a bit of running while sober.

I came up with an idea for a side business and realised that if I kept drinking that I would probably work on it only on a Wednesday if I'm lucky. I would either spend me free time drinking or recovering from drinking.

Then over the course of a few days everything just clicked and I saw that there close to zero benefits from continuing to drink while there were dozens of ways my life would be better. It was kinda an epiphany or "The Emperor isn't wearing any clothes" moment. I saw what now seems obvious.

I've no regrets about drinking, I particularly had a blast when I was in college, and then kinda in my 20's. I stopped at 36 and I think for most people the really good times drinking are in the rear view mirror at that point. It was a good time to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

I hope everyone is navigating the Christmas period ok. I missed having a drink when people were showing up and the jollities were starting on the 23rd. I thought this is going to be harder than last year. Then on Christmas Eve that had all gone and I’ve sailed through. I’ll be two years off it end January and feeling grand. I certainly don’t feel I missed out in anything when it comes to booze and, although I enjoyed it, life is happy and more straight forward without it. I really wouldn’t have believed I could think like that. Happy New Year everyone (if it’s not too early to say that).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sea2summit

I haven't drank in.......

Tomorrow will be my 3rd year anniversary 🎉

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Coming up on 12 years.

• Advertisement

Over a year for me and 2 Christmas's down, watching it affect other people during Xmas this year or else I just never noticed before, but def saying how it affects people's moods and behaviour for days after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭riddles

Managed to navigate Xmas booze free feeling good as a result - six weeks off it tomorrow.

Good stuff riddles. I doubt there is any time with more suggestion and influence trying to get you to drink than Christmas so, well done

It is funny that one (not ha ha). I notice some people who get a bit ratty and contrary in a way that I wouldn’t have seen when I was drinking and would have assumed it was me with the issue.

Did anybody experience joint pain after quitting. I have been prone to gout attacks in the past but since quitting I have experienced pain ad hoc in different joints? Thx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well done to all here who stayed sober over the Christmas period. 😊👍👍

It can be a very difficult time to keep sober with family, friends and all and sundry meeting up and drinking. My first sober Christmas, 2018, was pretty tough as I was just looking at others drinking and having fun and feeling sorry for myself - but then I thought how destructive my drinking had become and that it was really all over for me. Being in a AA home group with a sponsor taking me through the steps and a very supportive partner was critically important for me.

Unfortunately I briefly relapsed one more time after that, but since March 2019 I gave been fully sober and therefore 2023 is my fifth calendar year of sobriety.

My life is immeasurably better without alcohol, a substance which nearly took my own life given how bad my drinking was in those darkest years.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Recently passed the 5 year mark.

Always said to treat myself to something nice every year and haven't bought myself anything yet but important to mark the big milestones.

Hope everyone is keeping well

Been off it since the end of November. St Patrick’s day was the first time in the pub had a few Guinness zero and it was great to hop in the car then and drive home. A couple of work nights with visitors over from abroad again traditionally booze centred I stuck to the Guinness zero.

Combining it with a fitness meal plan combo to make it a lifestyle change as much as anything. Calmness and positivity the real hidden bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya riddles was out st Patrick's day myself decided to drive, didn't feel like drinking and some individuals found it hard to accept that a lad could enjoy a day with out getting hammered, drove a few friends home and they wanted to pay me throwing money at the car and everything mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭global23214124

Around the 14 month mark now. Got through Paddys day without too much trouble. Just stuck to the heineken or guinesss zero, or whatever non alcoholic they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

One year off it now and it hasn't been overly difficult, but there have been 4 maybe 5 days where I was in a real battle with myself not to go to the pub.

The big thing I notice is the freedom of not planning my life around the pub. I still go once in a while but can only stay for an hour, or maybe 2 if I'm watching a match. I can't have more than one non alcohol beer because I noticed once I have the second one that I'm tempted to go for the real thing so if I usually have a soft drink followed by a pint of Heineken Zero followed by another soft drink and then I need to leave.

For anyone thinking of quitting you cannot just sit at home trying not to drink. You need to make other changes in your life. If you're constantly thinking about drink then it won't work or even if it does it will be torture.

I found Allen Carr's book a big help at the beginning. It was a boring read so I downloaded the audiobook and listened to it for half an hour each mor ing and evening on my way to and from work. Obviously that isn't going to work for everyone but might be worth a go for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ekkinak

6 months now, feeling good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Similar pattern to me, I stopped for 4 weeks first, then another 4, and another 4, then 6 weeks. After that I stopped again but this time I never went back. I didn’t really set myself a target I just stayed away from pubs and knew that drinking only brought me misery in the end.

I found the first year tough especially at weekends, after 2 years I didn’t even think about drinking anymore.

Im now off it 17 years and would never go back on the booze. I don’t even think about it now other that making sure when I’m out that I don’t get handed a drink or food with alcohol in it.

Still off it thankfully haven't missed it since. No going back from here as far as I can see. The horrible lows and recovery spells are not missed.

I’ll be 3 years end January. I still do the Guinness 0s and the other 0 alc beers, of which there are more. I wouldn’t say I don’t ever think about it, and would still fancy a good wine at Christmas etc. However I’m around family who drink and just think I used to do that, rather than feel I’m missing out. I feel happy and more at ease with myself than ever before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭jj880

10 months off it. Great motivation to read about people here off it for years and not missing it.

Hopefully I will be the same. Biggest thing Ive noticed is my mood is level. No more losing it over nothing which was probably a result of the big head on me sometimes for days after a large one. Buying myself stuff helps keep it going. E.g. An OLED TV at the 100 day mark. At least I have a nice TV to show for it instead of 1000 euro p!ssed up the wall. Wish Id given it up 10 years ago.

Good for you. Rewarding yourself is a good plan. 10 months is great. I stopped end January (2021) so Christmas was 11months in and I was worried how that would be, but it was fine, if a bit unfamiliar in terms of seeing it without being somewhat pissed all day. Last Christmas grand especially (like birthdays etc) I’d done it all at least once since stopping. It all gets easier as you go along. That bit about the level mood is a real bonus that I have felt as well, and continues to be a great upside. I promise you you will be the same.

I see you have nearly 3 years off it. Thats some going. Great work. The reactions of people are always interesting. Most say well done and ask "how do you feel?", "whats changed?" etc. which is good. Ive had few that have looked almost incredulous when I tell them and thats to be expected I suppose. Probably because they've seen how I drank over the previous 25 years 😆. Anyway I have my eye on a new gaming PC tower for my next reward. Might shoot for the 100 day mark again after Christmas for that. I like your "I used to do that" way of thinking. Gona keep that in mind for sure over Christmas.

Well another Christmas without drinking. It definitely is easier each time. A peculiar thing I noticed is when Dry January stuff has been mentioned on the media I have had moments of thinking ‘I should do that’ (with a sense of dread) before quickly realising I already do. I never did a Dry January, or indeed a dry weekend for all long time before stopping. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

Just passed 8 years myself, put down my last can of beer at around 2am on December 31st 2015 in my hotel room and said (hoped) to myself "that's the last drink I'll ever have".

And I've managed to stick by it, truthfully it's been quite easy. However, the first 3 times I gave up "permanently" which all last around 4.5 months were not, especially that first one, my God....

But I never quit quitting, persistence is key, and now in my mid 40's I know I'm not missing out on anything. Very thankful I stuck at it, so glad I'm not dealing with hangovers, stupid behaviour, wasting money etc.

If you are thinking about quitting then most likely the glory days of drinking are behind you at that point. It's diminishing returns from then on in, it's just not worth it. Good luck to all.

First drink free Christmas done here too. Great times with the family and no lost days feeling terrible eating garbage. Agree 100% with previous post above. Had some great times on the sauce but for those few years just before quitting it wasnt up to much. Reminds me of those gambling ads from a few years back 😆:

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

For anyone trying to give it up and this may sound stupid and too easy but worked for me if you stop going to pub and stop buying the cans for 3 months you will have broken the habit and it won't bother you after that, just don't buy the shitte and nobody is stupid enough to buy it for you, if I am going anywhere now I grab a 6 pack of Carlsberg 00 drink them and than I am out the gate and home to bed for a good night's sleep and another tip keep busy be productive in my case working and kids activities and you won't have time to feel sorry for yourself. Good luck to anyone that's giving it up and after 3 months you won't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 backwithabang

Sorry to put down your post,but most start out giving up that way, then they think they have beaten and go back for a couple and it will start out somewhat controlled but it will quickly turn catastrophic again

While you are right about keeping busy. Getting new hobbies, habits and friends is difficult. From my personal experience even a year enters you into a slippery phase where you think you can go back on it and control it. For me 18 months was where i truly felt i lost an inclination to drink again and that's not saying I felt many in the first 18 months, you only ever get the odd one but it only takes 1 to break you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

I'm coming up on six years having not had alcohol.

I do occasionally drop in here to read the updates and also to check my old post history to appreciate where I started and the struggles that I encountered. I'm reading posts from 10 years ago where I was battling with my own drinking behaviors and I'm thinking about all the times I tried to conquer sober November and dry January and all the people who might happen upon this thread and decide to give it a go

By far quitting alcohol was one of the best things I've ever done as an adult and I don't even give it a second thought anymore. But that's not to say it was easy, and I remember those first days, first weekend, second weekend which led on to months and eventually years.

Although I still drink 0% beers and the variety of these products has been so much better since I quit, my new aim and target is to see if I can cut back on the limited number of 0% alcohol drinks I have.

If you're visiting this thread and ever considered giving up the drink I would do nothing but recommend it. There's no Eureka bright light moment when you get to the cruising altitude, but but life just gets better without it.

Periodically on here, but happy to receive any direct messages for anyone reaching out. The very best of luck to you all and happy 2024

Advertisement