Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liveatc EIDW Feed is up AND GOING WELL. Donations to keep it up would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Bumpstop

No problem, I actually don't listen to the feeds that much, I usually check the Liveatc page for feed status.

I'm not convinced that the TWR NTH scanner is working properly but I'm just short of time at the minute to troubleshoot it.

I'll get a look at it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

@Mech1 do you have your setup documented anywhere? I'm looking to do a similar setup in Kathmandu

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I think FR24 have set-up guidea on their website and they offer to help people with setups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Sorry, but my setup was old style compared to now. I suggest that you contact Dave Pascoe at live atc. He will help you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Worth tuning in if you can. EIDW currently closed due to drone over the the airfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Hope this isn't connected to the other disruptive protests going on recently

Hey Bumpstop, ears up warning, Presidential visit! Your about to be no1 in the world, be ready!!!

😁😁😁😁😁😁👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭10-10-20

So true Mech1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

Hey Bumpstop, the feed seems to be down this morning😞 Thanks for hosting as always, a great tool to have for all of us.

Yes apologies to all. we have the builders in doing some work at the moment.

Despite being asked not to, they keep unplugging/ disturbing/drilling through the router and radio gear etc.

It's not their fault really, they are working close to the set up.

they are here for another month or so, it will be a little patchy during the works.

I will do my best to stay on top of it. Bear with me as they say.🙂

• Advertisement

Hopefully my power and broadband stay working tomorrow, I don't think we will hit too bad here.

I am able to raise and lower the antenna a few feet easily, so I have it lowered into the storm position so to speak😀

It actually doesn't affect the performance too much, ground takes a bit of a hit.

If anything happens I'll try and keep all updated if I can.

I am making some changes over the weekend so the feeds will be down for a while at some point.

Nothing major, just moving the set up, and replacing the aging co ax cable while I am at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Is there a reason why the reception on the EIDW Tower (North) is so poor on LiveATC.net? Compared to the south runway coverage it is very crackly and the quality makes it very difficult to make out what is being said at times.

Hi, yes.

I don't know why, some days it's better than others.

I have tried to improve it, but it is just a low power signal. (Maybe a comms tech at the airport might know)

It's not on a software radio and has it's own dedicated scanner with a VHF RF amp and that's as good as I can get it.

Perhaps the tower comms is low power and directional on the runway headings but I don't know.

I have been looking into getting a directional hi gain vhf band yagi antenna for it, so that may help.

Considering the other tower is on an un amped SDR and it's fine, it's a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the reply Bumpstop, and thanks for all your efforts, it’s a great facility to have. I’m sure, in the fullness of time, it will all be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vsat1

I have a sneaking suspicion, tower north is TX'd from the north side of the field, at the TX site which is just inside the north perimeter road, whereas the "old" (south) tower frequency is from the TX's in the tower. A ramble around the field would confirm this. The north TX is lower elevation, so anything southwards trying to receive would have a worse signal.

Any more info or "thoughts" on the transmitted signals would should consider? Or any other airfield information?

Thanks,

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vswr

as mentioned previously, your location is probably lower elevation to the presumed northside TX site compared to the tower south freq. This would tie in with the "good somedays, not so good somedays", as the groundwave signal strength will vary with ground/air conditions.

Looking at google maps, all antennas are folded dipoles (standard setup for civil airband). You only start going down the directional antenna route for bespoke coverage solutions (a tower frequency is not one of these situations).

Solutions:

higher antenna is always better. Amplifiers are an option, but will also amplify any noise, this is a bit of an art to get these working without introducing unwanted noise. Directional antenna is an option, but, you take away possible coverage of aircraft if pointing at the TX site, maybe a low element, slightly directional yagi may be an option (3-4 element?)... won't be as much gain, but may improve the tower signal without sacrificing much coverage due to directivity (i.e. you still get the planes )

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Hi Bumpstop,

The Dublin GND/TWR/DEL/APP/CTR feed on live ATC seems to be playing a commercial radio station, any chance it could be reset to the ATC feed?

Thanks again for all the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Seconded. I was getting Newstalk on it last week. Which was unfortunate as I was trying to prove to my colleague that I had read back an instruction correctly 🤣

Apologies lads, I didn't notice this.

The power has gone a few times, it still should have restarted without intervention.

I put in a fix for this a while back, so something has failed.

Anyway should be back up now.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Saz_ie

Hiya @Bumpstop, I can't seem to see the combined EIDW Del/Gnd/Twr/App/Center feed on the website - not sure if this is only an issue on my end or if everyone is experiencing this. Thanks in advance for this brilliant resource!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yeah tried to listen today, it said unavailable and then disappeared from the list! Quite unfortunate, it's fairly annoying to only be able to listen to one frequency at a time

WRONG THREAD

Approach frequency gone silent. (Nevermind now it's back)

All feeds down? I’m getting nothing. I’d say aerials are being blown to bits today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Switching to 16 now...

Im getting a strange echo hearing everything twice with several seconds between

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

I'm working on providing a feed for Cork for LiveATC. I've still to get the antenna put up.It's scanning Approach (119.9) and Tower (119.3)

I've put it up here for the moment, because there's a bit of excitement with the weather

http://mwrf.asuscomm.com:7777/eick.mp3

Hi mwrf. Dave at Liveatc is a great help.

In my own case the storm did quite a bit of damage here, so am going to be down for a while.

• Advertisement

The feeds are back up, but bear with me, the electronics and Dublin North Tower scanner took damage..

The Raspberry Pi maybe damaged too, so just testing at the minute.

No guarantees at the moment.

Advertisement