Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect clearance/VAT charges/Missing IOSS number with An Post/Addresspal ***See First Post***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭sue97

No use to op but consider using someone like https://www.facebook.com/borderparcelmotel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just what the customer wants a courier company that can't even afford its own domain name and email address. bpmbelcoo@gmail.com LOL.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

So get the seller to refund you. It's their responsibility to get the goods to you and that includes making customs declarations correctly. If no joy then charge back.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Last paragraph is the usual populist rubbish and of course totally wrong.

VAT is not a national competency. That's because we entered a Single Market 30 years ago and have benefited greatly as a nation from this.

Protectionist? Every trade bloc is protectionist. The US is protectionist. The UK is protectionist. Free trade is for those inside not outside - unless deals are done - which the UK refuses to do.

The Apple tax money does not exist. It was never due. The import taxes applied here to non-EU imports are the same as in any EU country.

Of course it's about Brexit. It's entirely to do with Brexit. UK left so companies there no longer enjoy tax/duty-free trade with the EU. That's their tough titties.

Nobody is punishing the UK they chose to punish themselves. They could have left the EU while maintaining free trade but they refused, a hard Brexit is what the Tories wanted and it's what they've got.

The only thing stopping other countries from leaving the EU is observing the sheer stupidity of it. Massive self-inflicted damage to the UK economy with no benefits at all. Not one.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You need to look at the examples on the site you took that information from. It is only where the instrinsic value is over €150, that customs duty applies, and many items are zero rated even over €150. Where it is under €150 it is always zero rated for customs. When everthing is added up, the final amount for VAT can be over €150, but that never attract customs duty if the instrinsic value is under €150.

Also the clearance fee (€10 in the examples), does not attract VAT. The information you copied seems to contradict that.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/individuals/buying-online-personal/outside-eu.aspx#:~:text=If%20your%20goods%20have%20an,the%20above%20duties%20where%20applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭sue97

You don’t have to use them if you don’t want. I have used them three times and found them good. I struggled to find an alternative to parcel motel and this is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It's not anpost's job to refund customs/vat when you are sending something back to a non EU country.

And when you look at the issues, virtually every single issue is a fault of the sender.

You need to realise that UK small sellers understanding of customs is unbelievably dreadful.

Many still think Ireland and Britain are the same. You really are dealing with people who simply cannot understand fairly basic instructions - and they are very basic.

Then you blame anpost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭oneweb

I've found that a guestimate is often used to calculate a charge where the seller hasn't provided the value on the postage label.

"If your retailer is availing of the ‘Import One Stop Shop’ (IOSS) scheme, they must supply a valid IOSS number in the correct data field. 

Unfortunately, the sender of your item did not include a valid IOSS number / details on the electronic information we received from the sender. 

An Post is not in a position to amend this declaration and you will need to pay the current charge before contacting your retailer in relation to this matter. "

If you think you've been charged incorrectly, you'll need a screenshot of your order confirmation attached to an email with the customs reference and tracking number in the subject (apparently this automatically puts your package on hold while it's investigated... it now takes weeks to process, and sending multiple emails relating to the same package will put it back at the end of the queue). Give them as much detail as you can - don't forget the individual people replying aren't the ones who slapped you with the charges.

Dublin Mail Centre's Customs Charge Unit (Revenue) - eCommChargeQuery {ash} anpost.ie

In most cases, though, it's better to contact the seller and tell them you've been charged for import. If they care about customers they might refund the charge or offer some sort of goodwill gesture.

I've pretty much stopped buying from outside Europe unless the customs charge would still bring the total cost below what I'd pay here - it's no longer a miniscule chance that something will be slapped with a charge, it's now a guarantee.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

What happens to the item if one decides it's not worth paying the VAT and charge?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Moved to Consumer Issues as this isn't a BA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

it depends on the option the chose when shipping the parcel. It will either be returned to the sender or destroyed. If it is destroyed then you won’t be getting a refund nor will a charge back work if the retailer disputes the charge back as they will have documentation to show you rejected the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Everything related to the order was handled by Amazon. The issue arose when the seller did not breakdown the order into "cost of goods + UK Vat". They just gave a total cost to Amazon.

An post handled the customs fee. Per revenue website, to get a refund on the import fees deposit, you contact the delivery company who took the fee and they should request a refund from revenue.

If your goods were delivered by An Post, you must contact An Post directly. The contact details should be included in any correspondence received in connection with your delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

The collection of duties and VAT on items sent through the postal services is operated the exact same way throughout the EU/EEA/CH so it is not going to change TD or not.

The discussion was about complaints, not collection. Stop defending them, the way they handle the service is appalling.

They handle it no differently to any other mail handlers (both in Ireland and abroad) dealing with customs and VAT that uses resources for no return when senders don't follow basic instructions.

You are confirming that the error was made by the seller as they cold not do a very very basic task of providing the prices ex uk vat.

I used to do some selling on amazon when I was in the uk and I still get their emails. The instructions cannot be any simpler.

Your gripe is with the marketplace seller who either made an error, or simply can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

My package was taken. Didn't come to me or get returned to sender.

Then the sender mustn't have opted for return, so it was destroyed. If you believe it was illegally taken then pursue that.

I don't disagree with you, but you are splitting hairs.

At the end of the day, either Revenue or An Post have over €450 of my money and neither of them are being very cooperative in resolving the issue.

Next year when I go to pay my tax bill, if I haven't recieved my money back, I will be docking it from what I owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I absolutely would but an post are not contactable whatsoever. I jave sent 20-30 emails. They took my package and that's that.

• Advertisement

You've hijacked this tread with a totally different issue to what the OP had, hence your posts make little sense.

But I'm guessing

1 - you bought from a marketplace seller on amazon

2 - The seller did not fill in the very basic requirements for ex vat value.

3 - The seller put the total value including UK vat on the parcel and charged you that amount

4 - an post, quite correctly, used the value on the parcel as the value for customs purposes.

5 - you paid the taxes and duties and got delivery

6 - You then changed your mind and had an issue with the taxes charged (higher than they should be due to the error by the seller)

7 - You have returned the item

8 - You have proof that the item has been returned and can show the refund on your card

9 - you have followed the revenue instructions to the letter https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/individuals/buying-online-personal/claim-refund.aspx#

10 - this request is laid out in a professional manner with just the details requested and not some long winded moan about the issue - which was ENTIRELY the fault of the seller.

If you have sent in the details with ALL of the information provided, then its a waiting game. Even in business and using customs agents, a refund can take 3 months.

But there is absolutely nothing whatsoever in your posts that show any blame with anpost or revenue. It is 100% the fault of the sender. Send your rant to them for not following very basic procedure

No, you hijacked the thread by zoning in on petty points relating to my posts.

I entered the thread to let the OP know that he will have a hard time dealing with An Post, which is 100% true and relevant.

So I'll guess everything I said about your issue is correct and I will repeat again. It was the SELLER that was at fault. NOT An Post.

You did hijack the thread with a load of rubbish about an post when it was the seller you bought from made a very elementary error.

I answered the OP with the most probable reason - again a seller not filling in information correctly and the buyer not understanding the charges here. The OP had "free delivery" but as the company did not give a delivery value, the standard delivery fee is used (international practice).

As the OP's purchase was over €150, duty applied. Duty on clothing is from 8% - 20%

The weirdfish site states that taxes and duties may be due, but say it up to the customer to check. In other words the site that the op bought from couldn't give a damn and probably can't be bothered to correctly fill out paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

True, they are awful at times, but thats biassed as hell because almost no-one who has a good experience with them and gets their post will leave a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

They don't "handle" anything. They simply don't answer queries or complaints, full stop, end of story, as has been stated multiple times in this thread, and others.

You and @walterking's insistence on ignoring these comments is wanton and clearly intentional.

I've only ever had very positive dealings with them but found the postal services in Germany and France impossible to deal with, grossly inefficient, and manifestly unwilling to provide any customer service, while having inordinate delays in delivering even ordinary letter post. I'm ignoring nothing but emphasising that the problems raised here were the direct result of the senders' errors or omissions and it is to them that disputes should be directed. I can't speak for walterking and don't know what they posted without reading back the thread.

But still your issue is with the seller who made a really basic error.

You've stated that yourself.

So why not direct your anger at the source of your issue.?

Something you are not telling us?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your comments

Just to put this to bed.

I mailed An Post at this address eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie they are doing a re-evaluation based on a copy of the actual invoice.

Their word, not mine.

I have not received my money yet, but they are comuniating.

Tanka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Atrides

Ordered some goods in the UK to a friend's address in UK. Price was €53.80 including delivery.

She repackaged it and sent it as a private package to Ireland. AnPost valued it as €112.57 with €29.39 to be paid.

07.03.2023 sent an email to ecommchargequery@anpost.ie with an invoice from PayPal and a seller invoice.

No answer from AnPost for 13 days, so An Post simply takes stuff hostage and ignores all emails.

An Post = Facepalm

Advertisement