Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DwBaileNua87

Well now.....we may have a playoff appearance yet.....Fingers crossed we can get a 10-7, probably need 11-6 to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Long way to go and an extra game. 10-7 feels like a minimum, which is 4-4 over the remaining 8 games. NE, Buffalo, Miami (end of the season, woo!) as well as Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Jacksonville and Seattle. Maybe Jacksonville, Chicago and Detroit can be chalked up as likely wins. The rest, well, teams with the same or better records, Minnesota is 7-1 and we're playing in Minneapolis... Of course, one could really dream and call that a Superbowl preview game.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FantasyFool

Sick of Zach. The fact that he stood up in the press conference after that game yesterday and took no ownership of what went on tells me hes not our guy. Joe Flacco wins that game yesterday. Streveler wins that game!

Well, we're going to see Mike White again. Zach on the bench. Amusing to see Ryan Leaf being interviewed, a famous bust at #2.

Anyway, it's easy to say "Give White a chance, he couldn't do worse." He can. It's the Jets. Wilson's on the bench because of his mouth not his arm (or lack thereof.)

Jets just NEVER hit with these QB picks. Frankly, they've never had a truly great QB. Namath was mediocre but got on a hot streak at the right time. Vinny T gave them 1 great year. The rest? Meh. Brett Favre was done and made his name elsewhere.

So, anyway, Mike White in a game the Jets should absolutely win this weekend. Their defense is more than good enough to contain what little attack da Bears have. Jets just need the offense to play better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

yeah agree, Wilson definitely deserved to be benched after the performance on Sunday and what followed, but Mike White is not a good QB in any way shape or form! I think the only reason he's getting a shot is because Flacco gets absolutely murdered behind that oline if hes on the field

Hopefully he proves me wrong

• Advertisement

As a lifetime fan of NY area sports, though a Mets and Jets fan first and foremost, I remember the heyday of the "Lawrence Taylor/Phil Simms Giants."

Simms did not have an auspicious start at all, played poorly, injured early. In 1985 and especially 1986, with that defense peaking to otherworldly levels, Simms was good enough to not lose games which is all it took. In the first Superbowl that team won (1986), my favorite trivia question is, "Who were the starting wide receivers for the Giants?"

Lionel Manuel and Bobby Johnson, as in, "who?" Because that's how much they mattered. Bavaro was an excellent TE for them but he mattered more in the 1988 Superbowl (no Phil Simms then.)

The Giants also had an O-line that was peaking, so their game was, hand off to Morris (Joe Morris) the RB, occasionally a short pass, and score enough as the defense was going to destroy the other team. I can see, well, hope, that the Jets can mimic that and I still seem them doing that with Wilson as the QB, not Mike White or Flacco or the other guy.

I think for 1 game he proved you wrong 😁

Slow start on defense but it got going. Even a very Jets-like fumble on a field goal try that was ruled as a forward pass(?) didn't hurt.

Bears aren't good. Jets should have one that game and did so handily. Might've found a couple of backup RB's were actually not bad.

And, to top it off, I learned 2 players nicknames. "Bam" Knight the RB, and my latest fave, Legotron the PK, who tied the team record with a booming 57 yard FG in the rain. Very impressive!

Now, Minnesota on the road, and they were humiliated their last game. Not a good place to be plus Minnesota's got a good record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Yeah, great game for Mike White. That Bears defense was decimated with injuries and were just flat out bad, but White done exactly want Wilson hasnt been able do of late and thats work with what the defense gives him. I'd be hopefully for White to have a decent game against the Vikings as well, their pass defense has looked well suspect.

That field goal was awesome, he even had plenty of room to spare

Hopefully the Vikings got that Dallas game out of their system by beating the patriots

Nice stats from White this week, probably better than Wilson has had in a game so far. But, bad results. Way too many drives ending in FG. Fortunately Legotron continues to come through and at least it went down to the final minute. But, all that's nice, the results don't matter.

And I'm in a bad mood sports-wise as the USMNT couldn't get past Belgium and Jacob de Grom's now a Texas Ranger. Then the Jets lose a big game on the road that was there for the taking. Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DwBaileNua87

Flacc sake. Mike White was a WARRIOR last night, but still not reaching the end zone at the clutch times. Based on the form of the 4 remaining teams (Lions, Jags Seahawks and Fins), my 7-10/8-9 prediction is still looking good.

But I really hope Im wrong!!!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

• Advertisement

Agreed. Still think Zach will be the QB of the future, but right now with a good defense and Zach not ready, it's White's team. Now if he could only beat a good team on the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Deise boii

So Zach is back tomorrow hard to imagine that the fundamentals that needed improving have improved in 3 weeks. That and a short turn around after tomorrow to Thursday probably means he gets 2 games to win his jersey back.

Hard to know what will happen tomorrow the lions are flying but the jets defense is class all depends on Q and can't see him playing.

Hoping for a Stravler package tomorrow

If he goes 3-0 he's in the playoffs and we're all singing his praises. Mike White appears to be a nice backup who can beat bad teams or teams on off days is about it. If Zach goes 2-1 that's probably enough. Be nice to beat Miami though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Biggest game since the bills in 15. If Zach implodes it’s all over for him here in New York. Just win ugly. Making the playoffs hinge on winning this. Surely Zach is at least 20% better than what we last saw in his last game. Brock purdy looks a natural in a similar system for the 49ers. Something like the buffalo win should be enough to win this game. If it was in Detroit forget about it. MLF has to let Zach throw it and rush if needs be. Stop babying him and let him off. White cant stay healthy to warrant a return next year it would cost too much to be injured. No doubt we will sign a veteran but who?

Didn't happen. Now, must win game on Thursday that's far from easy.

Looking more and more like no playoffs till next year. If then. Zach still seems overmatched, saw a lot of 'happy feet' in the very winnable game against Detroit.

And the defense is starting to look a bit worn out, too much time on the field. Dunno if Q is back for the Thursday game, hopefully.

The o-line was woeful on Sunday. Tomlinson particularly was desperate. MLF for some reason goes to jelly coaching with Zach on the field. The jags could run up a score on us tonight, as you said the defense is looking jaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think he just doesn't trust Zach enough with a lot of the play book. If you are worried basic screen passes it makes you really question a lot of the play book and what you can call.

And, as expected, another bad loss. Wilson benched again, if White recovers (10 days now till the next game) no more Wilson this year. Next year's dubious too.

Winning just enough to ensure a middle-of-the-pack draft choice. Not sure what to pick, but the last 2 first round QB picks + the Becton pick... at least Gardner is the real deal.

Very disappointing season. Last 2 games should've been winnable as well as at least 1 of the Patriot's games. Ahh well. "Just Endure The Suffering."

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FantasyFool

Really should have beaten the Pats twice- the Roughing the Passer call in the first game was pivotal and the offensive meltdown in the second game was diabolical. Throw in not being able to punch it in from a half yard against the Vikings and you could be a 10 win team rolling into the Jags last Thursday.

What would ye do next year. I know there is a lot of dead money tied up wit Zach but its hard to envisage a lockerroom with him smirking away to himself in the corner.

On aside will Carter be cut? Looks like Knight and Halls backfield next year if they are healthy.

White's starting Sunday at Seattle. Fun Fact: my last live, in person Jets game was in Seattle when I lived there in 2013. Sanchez with Tebow in the wildcat for one play (the Jets lost, don't remember the score.)

If White lasts the next 2 games and plays well, he's the starter next year. Bringing in a backup vet would be good, don't know who will be out there.

Wilson gets traded. Some team'll put him on the bench and see how he does. Watch it be New England.

The O-line is basically a wreck. Duane Brown is too old. AVT and Becton lost is half of it, not sure whether Becton'll be back at all.

I think it should be the focus in the draft and FA period. My biggest hopes is that AVT can come back strong. Anything from Becton'll be gravy, he might have eaten himself out of the league, too. Robinson trade gets them a 6th round pick because he's done squat for the Jets, but they traded their own pick so it's a wash.

Carter stays, there's no depth and who knows what happens with Hall and Brown.

• Advertisement

Carr will be here next year. White will get more money elsewhere. Wilson will still be on the book I can’t see JD giving up on the #2 pick, no trade value at all.

I’m not liking the woody and Saleh at loggerheads, a few media leaks lately regarding it.

Carr hopefully not. Agreed Wilson will still be around next year. It's pretty sad to hear Wilson referred to as "Ryan Leaf 2.0." Gutting that he didn't play better this year with 3 All-Pros on defense, 2 starters. But, such is life.

Mel kieper was right in his assessment “cupcake schedule”.

Ugly start to the Seattle game.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Deise boii

God this is depressing. The team look lost. 10 days to prepare and this is what they show with playoffs on the line.

Carr very well could be here next year but some serious improvements needed on the o line safety and line backer rooms.

Someone once said, "It the hope that kills you." Might've been about baseball. The Jets win the toss, defer, letting their D take the field... and first or second play from scrimmage, a 60 yard run. That was the game right there. Last 2 games, no touchdowns. Can't recall the last game they led at any time in. Maybe was Minnesota.

Deferring in a must-win road game... well, you pay your money and you take your chances. Saleh gambled and lost.

Not ready to drop a bomb or get Derk Carr (Have a lifelong friend, a Raiders fan, who shouts at me "Don't do it! Guys a bust!") I think it's revamp the OL, draft a QB outside the 1st round, and let's go Zack-o yet again. Mike White's likely to be gone, too, he'll get a nice backup QB gig somewhere. Some nice pieces picked up in the draft that have panned out. Breece Hall back and healthy and impactful for a full season next year will be huge.

But, "It's the hope that kills you." Yet another year down the drain.

JD won’t get a chance to draft a QB unless it’s in the 6th or 7th round. His job is on the line it’s Carr. He’s the most attainable at the moment. They’ll get this szn to save their necks that’s it. If they even try and start Zach or have him as back up they might as well resign now.

What about Garappolo in SF? Thought he might be available once he rehabs? And I guess, thinking out loud, that's too many strikes against him.

With that O-line you could have Joe Montana in his prime and he'd do nothing.

Jimmy g staying injury free is the biggest issue. And with a crap oline he be out after two games. Carr as well for that matter. It’s retool the oline in fa and draft.

• Advertisement

Sauce an All-Pro in his rookie season. First rookie CB to get it since 1981 - Ronnie Lott. High praise.

Q also All-Pro. He's making contract noises though, which is discouraging.

Anyway, some games on today. Jet fans get used to watching other teams in the postseason 😕

Advertisement