Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes at 2fm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RoTelly

If I wasn't a cynic I think that having 2 RTÉ 2fm breakfast show presenters on DWTS was normal enough and nothing to do with try to push an audience towards the Breakfast show.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Christ ... did they not try that last year with Dermot from Dermot and Dave.

I am seeing it now... Jenny Z is brought to dinner by Donnacha

Tracy Clifford is caught out at the drive thru.

The 2 Johnnies are stopped at customs

Jenny G get a new presenter who isn't to electrifying

While there's no Game like a Game On Game.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Who gives a tv show to people to promote a radio show? If people don’t like them enough to listen on the radio, they’re most likely not going to like them on the tv

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

rte wants to force Ian Dempseys god child and the equally unfunny Camp guy on the show on us...someone thinks theyre "cool" and "hip" in RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muller1991

To be absolutely fair to all 3 of them they are extremely hardworking individuals.

Carl and Doireann have worked from the bottom in radio terms. Carl has worked behind the scenes and on air in RTE for god know how long. Doireann worked her way through the stations ( Iradio, Spin and the odd shift at TodayFM ) She's not at RTE just because she's Dempsey's Goddaughter.

Donnacha too has worked in media since his retirement from rugby and to most he's a likeable character. I think the Breakfast show is enjoyable from what I've heard of it.

As for the TV show, RTE and The BBC have been doing that for years giving radio hosts the chance to present a TV Show.

Does it matter how hard they worked when the show is still quite poor?

This is going back a couple of years but I very clearly remember Doireann once playing a video from YouTube into the microphone from her phone. Why couldn’t she or a producer record that clip and put it on the computer for her? As you said, she has years of experience so she should have known better.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that all three of them were ‘names.’ So is it a case of 2FM went for them because they were great at radio or because they were known for their work outside radio?

I would say Spin 1038’s breakfast show is already ahead of them and they’ve only been on-air a couple of months.

@Muller1991

To be absolutely fair to all 3 of them they are extremely hardworking individuals.

How do you know this? What is your definition of hard work? I am very suspect of this idea that people are "hard working" they were banding it about for Claire Byrne a few months back.

Carl and Doireann have worked from the bottom in radio terms. Carl has worked behind the scenes and on air in RTE for god know how long. Doireann worked her way through the stations ( Iradio, Spin and the odd shift at TodayFM ) She's not at RTE just because she's Dempsey's Goddaughter.

I'd agree I don't really know what this Dempsey's Goddaughter thing is about. But does hard work mean she has a hard neck? I know at least one DJ who is just as hard working and has been through the mill in terms of getting work.

Donnacha too has worked in media since his retirement from rugby and to most he's a likeable character. I think the Breakfast show is enjoyable from what I've heard of it.

Just because you've been a sports star does not necessaraly mean that you are going do well on broadcast media. You could say the same about his team mate on Ireland AM.

As for the TV show, RTE and The BBC have been doing that for years giving radio hosts the chance to present a TV Show.

I have no problem with this but lets face it the BBC actually have experience in produce this type of TV show, while RTÉ has a rare pilot that usual has everyone complaining. Did you see last years programming with Doireann and Dermot? Dermot who at least had a good long stint on Republic of Telly.

______

Yesterday

I don't think it would suit J Greene TBH. Never really understood what The Ronan Collins Show/The Louise Duffy Show, Late Date and John Creadon aren't part of the RTÉ Gold line up, along with an hour of "golden olds" from 2fm aka 2000s and 2010s.

______

Yesterday

I know of many hard working DJ'S/ Presenters / Producers all trying to get into the industry ( Myself included) I've been through the mill with different opportunities and been let down at the last minute but hey ho that's part and parcel of the game.

I'm not by any means their biggest fans by any stretch. Doireann has been known to work all the hours god sends and I admire that. Between her podcast, Tv work and other commitments. The same goes for Carl other projects away from the Breakfast show etc DWTS and other commitments he may have. Donnacha too with rugby punditry and Irelands Fittest Family.

• Advertisement

I will give Doireann her podcast and regardless that is a lot to get of the ground and initially without much return... however they are paid for all of the above.

And basing it on Dave Fanning's view and that of the number of holidays that other RTÉ presenters get ... its a good gig ... if you can get it.

______

Yesterday

Sure, she does a breakfast show, tv show and a podcast, but would it not be better for her to focus more hours on one thing than to spread herself thin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Didn't do Lottie Ryan any harm, she won the thing.

Fanning was just saying how good a job it was and had no time for people moaning about their work load. Can I find that article now, of course not! but in others he's said 2 things 1. He won the lotto in terms of life and job but 2. He did too much for too little, which could be true.

The holiday was in relation to other presenters, just my run on lines of writing here on boards.

______

Yesterday

Yes I think i read the same article. Found myself agreeing with him on nearly everything too.

If your good at something you should never do it for free ( or for little or nothing )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

There's a load of new names on the Christmas schedule in the RTE Guide I have never heard of ...

Post edited by ford fiesta on

The Full Irish Hidden Camera Show with Doireann, Donnacha and Carl !

9PM Christmas Eve, the promo looks shockingly bad, you'd think that they'd have at least put this out to the new year.

Giggling in their own absurdity!

______

Yesterday

Just a thought, With Doireann presenting and Carl taking part in DWTS, I wonder will there be a few Monday mornings where two out of 3 are missing on the breakfast show ?

I'd be inclined to think they will not miss a day but as the series progress's it may happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Did Zampereli miss a lot while the show was on? Same workload for those two although I reckon Carl will be out early enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭RINO87

Donnacha on his own, with no one to work the buttons even could be the makings of an absolute belter of a show. In car crash terms.

Well it seems he's on a toilet in a lift! So! I don't know! it will be so funny, My Christmas Eve sorted. And I am going around every pub in Dublin making sure they are ready to put it on for the Xmas Eve party, its going to be an amazing night.

______

Yesterday

we will have to make sure Carl stays to the end :)

______

Yesterday

Lottie Ryan is doing an entertainment show for four hours on Christmas Day, recapping the top stories of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Thanks for the warning...didnt her show on the weekends get something like less than a 1000 listerners

I would have assumed JNLRs were measured by the thousand, meaning she got zero?

Did she have a weekend show, do we have audience numbers for her show?

______

Yesterday

I don’t remember it myself but she used to do a one hour show on Saturdays and Sundays: https://www.nkmanagement.ie/lottie-ryan---profile.html

I don't listen to the morning show on 2FM, but they come up in my twitter feed.

I am not sure how to describe them but they are so full of energy about nothing. Now I am only seeing clips about DWTS, which involves two of the hosts, but there hyperactivity is incessant. It's kind of like, you will never guess what they just said! Just now a moment ago, yeah I heard them say it.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

It's hard to believe that this year is the 10th anniversary of Dan Healy becoming head of 2fm. He'll soon be their longest serving boss of all time dispite having the worst listenership numbers in the stations history.

Advertisement