Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Approximate costs of various jobs

• 18-12-2022 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I have recently bought a house (1990s 3 bed semi-d) and, while it's in overall good condition and can be moved into right away, it needs a few bits and pieces done. I have only ever lived in rental accommodation and have no family to ask, so I have no idea at all what sort of costs are involved in the things I'd like to do. I would really appreciate any input on this. I understand that a lot will depend on quality of materials or finish chosen, and there's probably a very big possible range of prices for any job, but I'm starting from a point of having no clue at all and so am finding it hard to plan. It's West Dublin so Dublin prices please.

Some of these jobs are more important than others, some big some small. None are essential to living in the house, and the order they're done in may depend on costs. In no particular order:

1. Adding electrical sockets. Ideally I'd like to add sockets to every room. a double socket to each bedroom. Two double sockets to living room, and two double sockets to kitchen.

2. New floors downstairs. Ideally engineered wood for hall, living room, dining room. This is replacing laminate that is very worn and lifting in a few places.

3. Paint whole interior of house.

4. Extend side wall from back garden to completely divide driveways and create a side passage way.

5. Change heating from oil to gas - house already connected to mains gas. Everyone seems to think it's important I do this, but I personally have no issue with oil.

6. Replace open fire with a solid fuel stove.

7. New windows (7) and sliding patio door - they look fine but BER report says they are very poor. Is triple glazing the main choice these days?

8. Get plantation shutters for windows including patio doors.

9. New hot water tank in hotpress.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Congratulations on buying a home! It's a very exciting time, but it's also an extremely expensive time. I have no idea what those bits would cost because, as you say, it's hugely variable. I can give you an idea of some of the costs we encountered in Cork, if it's helpful.

For flooring, we went for laminate and that (on sale) cost about €3000 for enough for upstairs and downstairs, excluding the stairs & landing. Installation was a steal at €2,500. Our neighbours in a smaller house paid about €7000 for their laminate floors + installation. Engineered wood is probably about twice the cost of laminate, I'd say. Just looking on the B&Q website, it's about €50 - €60 per m2. Ours was closer to €25. You'll presumably also be paying for the labour of the current floor being ripped up, so that'll add to labour costs.

Painting - We recently got two walls of our kitchen painted and it was again a steal at about €240. Other friends in an expensive area of the UK were quoted about £4000 for painting the whole interior of their house. This article suggests about €1500-€3250 for painting a medium sized house (will also depend on colour choices to a degree).

Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help, other than to say it looks like an expensive list. I'd be considering what the absolute priorities for the first year are, and what can wait until the medium-term.

/edit to add: Certain things make sense to do first. Add electrical sockets before painting, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Thank you for that information Faith. Yes, that looks about what I expected for floors just from looking online. I had no clue about painting, so good to know.

While I don't have a fortune, I do still have a fair amount of savings to spend on the house. Probably not enough for the whole list, but maybe. Trouble is I just don't know! None of it is necessary anyway, so if it has to wait that's OK. But if I had an idea of prices I could plan better.

Like you say, some jobs make sense to do before others - and I think the new sockets is the priority for me either way so will get that done first regardless. It would probably be better to convert the heating system before other redecoration too, but it's not a big priority for me personally, so if I have to postpone something then I would probably pick that - but then I don't want to skip doing it at the right time if I actually can afford it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’d probably do the big, messy jobs first, yeah. Sockets soon if they’re important. Hearing system next because that could be a significant undertaking, I’m guessing. Maybe hot water tank around this time too.

Windows and patio door next, then maybe floors. After all that, painting.

The side wall, shutters and stove are the things I’d leave off the longest myself.

Advertisement