Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox Bargain Alerts (Games/Hardware/Accessories) - Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Huh.

Thanks for your opinion. Others would disagree, as can be seen by the sales of the console, it's quite popular. Perhaps you were unaware of the digital only nature of the console, which would definitely come as a surprise then. Close to 80% of the console market is now digital, so it seems your opinion is in the minority.

Agree on the price of games, but it's a console that rewards the thrifty shopper, both Sony and MS often run deep discounts during large sales, and quite frankly that's the only time people should buy.

An awful lot of people have bought a Series S, and in general are very happy with it. There's definitely limitations, but those limitations are something that a lot of people seem to be happy enough to suffer on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm a casual gamer with game pass currently using a Xbox one digital. I was thinking of upgrading now as it's down to €229, I would've thought it would suit the likes of me well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There's only 1 disc that's been in my Series X since I bought it release day!

That's AC Valhalla.

Only reason I bought on disc was that Ubisoft give 20% discount if you buy direct from them (and have 100 coins) and it was cheaper than any of the digital/physical store pre orders.

It's been in the machine over 2 years.

Everything else is digital. I have 13tb external storage hooked up and 453 games installed.

There's a rare occasion for a disc drive these days. Good to have, yes! But a rip off without, not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

It would be a great choice for you. I think someone's just trying to be a bit edgy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭quinnd6

No you're totally right.

I was too edgy. I'm sorry folks.

Do whatever makes you happy. I prefer physical media and games are often cheaper that way but it does depend on what kind of gamer you are.

If that's how you want to play games that's totally fine. Unfortunately games on their digital storefronts tend to not be as cheap as if you buy them physically but it is a cheap way of getting into gaming.

Do whatever makes you happy and enjoy gaming. Don't mind an idiot like me ranting on a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

No, it's discussion board, your opinion is as valid as the next. It was just a tad harsh 😁

There's still a lot to be said for the buy the disc, play and complete, trade and buy new game model.

Really, I've just pivoted to stacking all the games digitally and not getting a return when I'm done, like most of the gamer base, I'd imagine!

Anyway, this is a bargain thread, so the new Saints Row is €25 in GameStop right now!

New controllers are €40 too, so I got the game and a controller for €65

You can be sure this is a bargain, cos I can't stand GS and rarely buy from there 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Unlike the diskless playstation though- the diskless xbox is a fair bit less powerful. Still good, but if you are going next gen I’d go whole hog especially if you have a 4k tv may as well make use of it. Less disk space also so you may end up paying for a drive later.

”The Xbox Series S … has only 4 TFLOPS of raw processing power, a third of that of the Series X. It also has 10GB of RAM to the X's 16GB. This means the Series S has a much lower rendering resolution ceiling of 1440p, two-thirds the vertical pixels of 4K.“

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, for some people, saving up for the X/PS5 is the way to go, but for others the S is fine. The 1440p resolution is also "optimistic", shall we say. It's closer to a 1080p box, according to Digital Foundry, but even with all the limitations that it has, they love it. They know exactly what it is, and think it's excellent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's also €150 cheaper at full price but it's €220 cheaper now.

I could buy a digital PS5 for €450 or I could buy a Series S and 36 months of Game Pass today and have €110 in my pocket. Add in a game for the PS5 (or their Game Pass competitor) and its the guts of €170-€200 in the difference and you've far less to play if picking the game or only one year compared to three if going with the other option.

The S is unrivalled in value terms and that's coming from someone with a PS5 and no Xbox.

MOD NOTE: I'm a big fan of letting things roll when it comes to discussion, but this has strayed very far from Bargain Alerts. I'm as guilty as anyone else, so not calling anyone out, but let's get this back thread back on topic please!

If you want to continue to discuss the S, please do so on this thread here.

Thanks

CIAB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Any good deals on headsets around? Budget of around EUR 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The Arctis 7x(old model with micro usb instead of usb-c charging) is €119.99 direct from Steelseries. There is a 10% discount code that should be usable if you sign up to the newsletter or you can look for a streaming partner code which will give you 12% off.

This headset is compatible wirelessly with all consoles(inc PS4/5 and Switch).

You could also go for the Arctis 1 wireless for Xbox at €69.99. It has the same headphone drivers as the 7x, but has less robust construction and an inferior mic. These are also compatible with all consoles wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

If you install fifa 22 on gamepass it will offer an upgrade to fifa 23 for 15 quid. Just in case you wanna pick it up earlier than it goes on ea play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Elden Ring down to €48.99 in Microsoft Store up to 02/01/23. Great offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

You reckon this will still be the case next Saturday night? Someone might have been asked to deliver it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Unsure but you could purchase it now hide it on the apps and not download it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fair enough, but I do all digital now, no interest in reselling or keeping cases and discs in the house which only act as licence key anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭limktime

Hi, could anyone advise on the best Series X console deal around at the moment? I haven't played or bought a console in years so some advice would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Tech_Head

Don’t think there are many offers to be had on them at the moment.

Smyths is normal retail price

GameStop will give a free basic third party wired controller (€24.99 value)

Everywhere else seems retail. Stock doesn’t seem to have been an issue for the past few weeks / months but I’d expect they are hoping people have money after Christmas so will keep offers to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭limktime

Thanks, I wasn't sure if there were any deals that I was missing or if it's common for it to be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Tech_Head

Not so much yet. You might get bundles if you wait for an upcoming game but I haven’t seen many as I’ve browsed through the year. Great console though!

There was a deal on this last week if you had the Pro card(€16.99 per year) where it was €450. It unfortunately ended on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Thinking of picking up a Series S… wondering why the likes of Eneba and CD keys are so much cheaper than the Xbox site for games - is it legit and straightforward or is there added hassle to buying games through these sites?

total newb at this as haven’t had a console in yonks so forgive my ignorance!

Pretty straightforward, you will need to use a vpn to locate your IP in the countty listed for the key. I use Urban Vpn for it myself, you get 100mb free per day. Did this myself last week with Dead Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Are the sites legit? They seem to have a good few available that they say will work in Ireland. Don’t really want to get into VPN etc if I can help it - is that necessary for everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

Some keys are locked to certain countries, and they say it in the listing. But you can usually activate them on your PC using a VPN, and then they just work on your console.

If you are buying a key that says it will activate here it will. You really should get into using a vpn you can get games for half the price here. Unfortunately discounts on recent titles are lower as MS have disabled the ability to generate gift codes in Argentina and Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

They are definitely legit, I mainly use Gamivo but have used Eneba and CDkeys a few times. Like sniper_samurai, I used it to get Dead space as well. Shaved 20 odd quid

Advertisement