Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jordo1993

has anyone bought any items from the USA in the last number of weeks? I had a package picked up December 4th, parcel had been collected by an outside company awaiting collection by USPS. This has not changed once since, 3 updates on shipping but none suggesting it's left the United States and information on An Post when I enter the tracking number. Anyone else have any issues recently?

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aloha4567

Is anyone experiencing delays in receiving letters at the moment? A letter was issued to me last Monday - the 12th and has still not arrived! It is coming from the same county I’m in, is this normal this time of year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We in Limerick regularly get Christmas cards from five separate people in the UK, but only one card has arrived this year from them. All of them are reliable, conscientious people.

We have had mail as expected from the US and from Ireland. And we've had parcels from Amazon etc. So it looks as if there's a problem with the Royal Mail.

I'm aware there have been intermittent strikes in the Royal Mail (and other UK services), but I'm surprised so much mail has failed to get through by now (I'd have thought that it would only be delayed by a few days).

Has anyone else had problems with getting mail from the UK recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Some delays but all expected Christmas cards arrived here over a week ago. It's slower with the strikes, which create backlogs too, but not abysmally so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Aunts in England posted cards on the 12th December and still haven't received them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Strikes in the UK might be why they've been delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

Yep. Royal Mail have been on strike since August/ Sept

https://www.royalmail.com/latest-news

Not every day though, just occasionally. Useful UK strike calendar from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/12/uk-strike-days-calendar-the-public-service-stoppages-planned-for-december

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

True, but these have been causing backlogs at one of their busiest times of the year so not surprising there are delays really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭farmerval

We had a card posted December 7th in UK arrived December 21st

They always used to take on large numbers of temporary staff in the run-up to Christmas though. I nearly went for a part-time job myself when I was working in England as the pay looked attractive. But maybe they don't do that so much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I’d say some of it is to do with here too. Have a package that’s been scanned into Ireland since the 20th, scanned 3 days later to say they have sorted it again and still hasn’t left Dublin. It did take 10+ days to make it from uk to Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Yeah I posted cards in Dublin on Monday and some didn't arrive to Dublin addresses until Friday. Add in royal mail strikes and there's nothing surprising about delays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Even before the strikes the UK postal service had got really slow at getting stuff to Ireland. It might be something to do with An Post but can't say.

I've been dealing with a government department in the UK and back in the summer it was taking 2 weeks for stuff they had posted to arrive.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ordered a telescope from Amazon on 9th of December seems to be lost in UK customs. Got a refund

The joys of Brexit and the Tory wasters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

"intermittent" days - yep, 12 days in the last 7 weeks!!! and stuff gets piled on top on other piles and even left out in the elements.

Add to that people putting a 2nd class stamp or even a first class stamp on letters to Ireland as many still seem to think its all the same. These letters go into a slower "economy" service as correct airmail postage is £1.85 (international standard)

The economy service takes up to 2 weeks in normal times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

It was reported the other day that Royal Mail are experiencing a cyber incident. I am still waiting for my package to be arrive and Royal Mail tracking says seller is preparing it. Seller says he sent it last Thursday who I believe as we have used this company plenty of times. By co-incidence since yesterday I am getting non stop calls from some London number. Googled it and it's not a business. Answered one and there was some guy with an English accent and all he kept saying was hello, who is this. I hung up. Hmmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spott

I ordered something recently. It shipped with Royal Mail on the 7th December from Belfast and arrived after Christmas, around the 29th or 30th.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Article on the Journal today giving examples of delays from the UK. Strikes, and more recently a Cyber attack are causing majors problems. An Post taking the opportunity to give them a kicking while ignoring their own appalling services in another article,

https://www.thejournal.ie/royal-mail-cyber-attack-5966958-Jan2023/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Article on the Journal today giving examples of delays from the UK. Strikes, and more recently a Cyber attack are causing majors problems. An Post taking the opportunity to give them a kicking while ignoring their own appalling services in another article,

https://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-delays-post-uk-royal-mail-5965169-Jan2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

2 weeks next Monday since parcel was sent from UK. I guess it is still in the UK. Royal mail tracking is also broken and has been for some time. It says awaiting item from seller. Anyway, I guess I will wait. It is not the sellers fault so I don't think I will do a pay pal claim just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone else stillseeing delays from Royal Mail/An post?

Have a small item coming from an ebay seller which was dispatched on the 10th of January and it didn't arrive. So he sent the items again 10 days ago and still no sign. These are small items that would fit in a small jiffy bag.

Is the delay still with Royal Mail or is it An Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got 2 items sent from online retailer in the UK, both via Royal Mail. "Later" one already arrived, while the one they sent a week earlier - not.

They blame cyber attack on Royal Mail system.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭woody84

Waiting on a letter from Uk since 8th of January. No sign of it yet. Wondering if its delayed or lost??

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭woody84

It arrived this morning. Nearly 7 weeks waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

An Post are a joke. I have been waiting for a parcel for almost two weeks now and twice they said they attempted delivery and now today they say they delivered it which is rubbish unless it is invisible I do not see it anywhere near my premises.

They will be getting a good bollocking from me tomorrow if it does not turn up.

What was wrong with the cards they used to leave in saying your parcel is in your local Post Office.

It's backwards An Post gas gone.

DPD are the best of any of them and the only one I trust.

At least they message you and let you know when your parcel is coming.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Provide them with the e-mail and phone number that you use for your shopping and voila you get regular status updates via e-mail (when they get it, when it's on the way, when it's on the van and when it's delivered) and you can even define alternative delivery points (neighbours, safe places).

Works similar to what DPD does with their parcelwizard, the main difference is that you don't get the hour window that DPD does give you but it's very useful to see what is going on with your parcel and to re-direct it etc.

AnPost delivery for me has significant improved since I use that tool, there are still delays in getting stuff into the country but once it is with AnPost it usually is delivered quickly and the local postperson is always here at the same time, so I quite like AnPost.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

im still waiting for a letter sent 22 Dec!! - nothing shows up on the tracking site for it either. anyone know how I can contact them? I rang 0044 03457740740 but nobody ever answers

ON ENTERING THE TRACKING NUMBER I constanty get below

Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference XXXXXXXX. Please try again tomorrow.

my tracking number starts with DF and ends with GB . somone said to me thats not a valid tracking reference.anyone know thier codes. its a letter posted from England to Ireland. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So a small item in a tiny jiffy bag I bought on the 9th of January from a seller on ebay turned up last Monday 27th February, 7 weeks to the day, no idea if delay was this side of the pond or with Royal Mail absolutely crazy delays.

Advertisement