Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinvara Marathon

• 15-12-2022 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Thinking of doing the Kinvara marathon at the start of March. Would be running it as a fast long run rather than a full effort race. Has anybody run this before? I'm wondering what the organisation of it is like, getting parking, numbers running, etc? I'd probably go up the day before with the family and stay a couple of nights. Is there much of a buzz around the place? What's the accommodation situation like up there, as it's just a small town yeah so the accommodation would likely be a bit of a distance from the start line I'm guessing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi. I've done the HM or 10k there for the last 5-6 years. It was cancelled one year because of snow (2018 possibly) and re-run in June so weather is one consideration but that's the same with any event for the next few months. It's a fantastic event in terms of organisation, it's really well run, the crew involved are all really lovely & friendly and there's a super buzz about the village (it starts & finishes in the centre). However, it's not called Rock & Road for no reason!! Aside from the start and finish it is literally rock & road, something to consider - especially for the marathon! The field will be small (you could look up previous results to get a feel for the numbers who do this) and it's quite likely you could be on your own for a long time. On a nice day it's pretty enough but on a bad day it'd be pretty bleak. There is some accommodation in the village but I'm not sure how quickly that gets booked up or how expensive it would be. I've never stayed around too late but by all accounts, you are guaranteed a good out afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Classic21

I ran it once, normally run the half. It’s a very well run event, organisers are very experienced and always run a good event. Course has nice scenery but you will probably be running on your own for a lot of it. Not an easy run, a few drags but enjoyable all the same.

Parking won’t be an issue if you’re running the marathon. Not sure about accommodation. Start was about 500m from the village.

The buzz only get’s going on the morning of the race and then it’s only when the 10k and half runners arrive.

I will do it again sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Done either the half or the 10K at this since about 2014 (was cancelled in 2021 for obvious reasons) and would echo the above comments.

A few of us are doing the 10K in March and are booked into the Kinvara Guesthouse since early October. Accomodation may be tight due to the closure of the Merriman Hotel and a lot of Ukrainians based in in the area.

Maybe look into an Airbnb particularly if you are staying a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

I had this on my wishlist of Marathons but sold out, I was certain I could buy at a late stage and the world got in my way... anyone on here signed up for the marathon but unable to do it??

We were blessed with the weather yesterday.

Chilly without a lick of wind.

That was my second time doing the half marathon, and really enjoyed yesterday. Well organised, and what felt like, just the right number of runners. Think there was a little over 600 finishers. Never felt crowded

• Advertisement
Advertisement