Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 1) Corballis (18th Feb @11:50am) *4club

• 14-12-2022 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the first round where things kick off with Roadrunner's 4-club challenge.

This event is designed to light up the year in a fun, fast and easy manner. However don't be too lax. This is a full counting round for the Golfer of the Year on a very tough track. Come prepared and with a game plan. Keeping your composure around here for a couple of hours will see you pick up easy points and up the leaderboard for the 3 course links swing opener.

Corballis holds up exceptionally well all year round. In many ways Corballis could be called the home of Dublin golf. Corballis is simultaneously the most loved and hated course in Ireland. I am most certainly on the love side. The course itself is over a hundred years old, with the original holes set out in 1906. Many of the greats of world golf have walked these fairways. Bernhard Langer for example was a frequent visitor here whenever in Ireland. Corballis holds a very special place in my heart too and I'm delighted to introduce this stunning seaside links venue to our society members.

This round is €35 for subscribed members. More details regarding timesheet booking and subscription for the year will follow in due course.

This is a 4-club challenge, that is you have to pick out only 4 clubs and play with only them. This promotes additional thought and using the contours of the land and controlling your ball flight more to play well. This requires commitment to your process and composure. I've never played a reduced club event before. I'm looking from tips for people who have. Obviously clubs selection tips, but regular gear tips too. Apparently some choose to leave out the putter and instead putt with a hybrid or driver.

I'll kick the discussion off with my thoughts on club selection in a separate post below:-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I don't have a clue what clubs I'm playing lads 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

The wind will come into play with regard to club selection. If it's a calm day right now I'm thinking 5i, 8i, 50 degree and putter. That would leave me playing the 3rd as a par 5 which I sometimes do anyway. It would mean I couldn't go for the 12th in 2 or any of the par 4s from the tee, but it would be a very playable course with that set. Whereas if you've a big wind, suddenly you'd be struggling to make the 3rd in 3, the 16th would become a par 5 too.

A three or a five wood would be handy from the tee a few times. It could actually leave me trying to land it in the narrowest part of the 3rd, so not ideal. But it would be handy on 8, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18. Actually, there's a very strong case for it! You'll definitely need some sort of wedge anyway. And I think you'd be mad not to bring a putter. And whatever gets you around 145m will be needed. I think the real choice will be whether to bring a low iron then or a wood.

Hmmmm, I'll think about it over the next couple of months and see what I'll pop into the bag club wise. One thing I know will be in there is a large amount of balls. At the start of the round that is. If the round goes well at the end I'll have a medium amount of balls.

Good post. I know you're well qualified to offer advise on this one! I've yet to play with you but from the tidbits I hear you might be like me, in that a 4 club limit may put manners on us and actually improve our game around here. I guess we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great way to start the year Captain. A tough test at the best of times, limited clubs and cold weather will definitely show us the difference between the men and the boys.

Haven't played Corballis in years, and have actually only played it maybe 3 or 4 times ever.

I've played a 3-club challenge before, which was trickier again in terms of selection. That time I played 22° Hybrid-7i-50° and putted with the Hybrid. If someone is thinking of attempting that option, I'd say to make sure you get there early enough to practice a little with it as it takes a little getting used to. The winner in our home club that day brought his driver and putted with that.

50° wedge is a nice option. Really what you want to be thinking is...what's the least lofted wedge I can bring that I still feel I could hit out of a greenside bunker?

If you're going with any more loft than 50, you might be limiting your range in terms of approaches.

Having the 4th club does make life a lot easier, as putter will be pretty critical on sloping links greens I suspect.

Playing a shortish course also should help with the format.

Plenty of time to think it through over the next few weeks.

Could be worth some bag pooling too, not just car pooling, as a full bag would have plenty of slots to cover people in a group.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Never played a limited club competition, sounds like a bit of craic, driver, hybrid, wedge and putter but would have to look at par 3 lengths closer to the time, likely my first round of the year if I can make it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

I think that's probably the most sensible combo.

1: 8 iron will work

2: 8 iron and a 56

3: Struggle to get home with 2 5i

4: 56

5: two 8 irons

6: 56

7: 8 + 56

8: 5 iron + 56

9: depends on the flag but 5 and 8 should have you covered. if its a strong wind then this hole will be a blood bath

10: will defo be between clubs here

11: go for it with a 5?

12: 5+ 5 + 8 should get you home

13: this will be tough with those clubs

14: 5+8 is the standard play

15: two 5s

16: tough one to get home with those clubs, esp if the usual wind is there

17: tricky, I think hit an 8 and accept that a bogey is likely

18: 5 and 8 should be fine

so there you go, no thinking needed, unless the wind blows

^ Very good. BTW I particularly like that this won't just be another run of the mill 18 holes for you two guys on your home course forcing you to look at your own course in a new way same as everyone else 🤣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

4i off the tee (200ish yards), 7i (165ish yards), 48 wedge (anything inside 110 yards), putter.

Think that's what i'll be going with. Not comfortable with my 3w, and don't have anything in between (which is something i really need to remedy), so will stick with the reliable clubs.

Over xmas I'm going to roll out my 8metre long putting matt in the house and see how much worse putting with my hybrid would be.

I'd like to try some thing like Hybrid. 9i, 50°, 58°. But that's leaving a lot on the shoulders of the hybrid. A club I'm not in love with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Great Idea on the format to kick off the new season. Best of luck on your year as Captain RoadRunner.

• Advertisement

Putter is allocated 50% (or near as) of shots, would you really leave that out (on a links course too)?

Fingers crossed you don't go in any bunkers.....

A few of the bunkers on the course are fairly brutal by the way. There aren't many on the course, but I those on the 4th and 6th can be tough to get out of with a 56 degree - I've seen many finish the hole in the bunkers after sending their tee shot into them.

I just ordered a 51 degree wedge yesterday. Hopefully that extra degree will make the difference for me on the day!

Thx Macker. Hope to see more of you this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Great way to start the year Captain! Hoping to play Corballis next week, love the place personally.

I'm thinking 7 iron, PW, 54°, and putter.

There's maybe only 2/3 holes I wouldn't be able to get to the green in regulation with that combo and I'd be happy enough with that.

As has been said, wind will be the deciding factor, and I'll be choosing my 4 after getting out of the car in the carpark, might be putting with the driver yet 😂

Also love the bag pooling idea, could really help pace of play, and with most people leaving driver at home, there shouldn't be so many epic dune adventures!

I'm liking the club thoughts bigeasy. I'm leaning that way unless my hybrid putting experiment over xmas works better than expected.

(I'm also partly worried that my hybrid putting experiment may work too well and mess me up on putting after this round 🤔)

I was at home pretty much the whole weekend watching after my daughter who was running a temperature.

Anyway I rolled out the 8 meter putting matt and had a really long period of time to practice with options other than putter. On medium range putts (~4m) 3wood and hybrid were both okay for direction. I found myself using my wrists to take the putts. The length of the clubs was problematic. I found I could putt pretty okayish by anchoring the butt of the grip near my groin (minds out of the gutters folks!) Getting the distance right was tricky. Short putts were okay. I can imagine duffing some putts however. The longest putts I could take (~8m) were definitely tricky to get the distance right, but then this is something that I haven't been good at traditionally anyway! The 3w and hybrid were not looking too good on the whole.

Then I took out the 2i and started putting with that. Other than regular putter this gave the best results. I felt I could go down the shaft and close the face to have it like a flat blade. It's hard to hit the ball in the vertical centre of the club when putting with longer clubs. Hitting a putt thin with the 2i was something that happened regularly but it still rolled out pretty well. I was thinking this would work. I also loved the long game advantage that the 2iron would give. I'd be able to carry 2 wedges and a middle distance club. Delighted with my discovery and thinking I had found my strategy; I had myself another baileys coffee to complete the experiment and celebrate.

However my final thoughts didn't come until the very end of the session. This is completely obvious, but then I switched back to the regular putter to close out. I can clearly see why putters are designed and shaped how they are. Also, interestingly, after having a fairly long session with all manner of improvised putters, and then going back to my regular putter really helped me fall in love with my putter again. Every putt I hit afterwards just felt so easy and like I had discovered something. Maybe to get really good with my putter I just need to spend hours practicing to putt with my 3wood, hybrid and 2iron drinking baileys coffee and mulled wine. If you see me on the putting green before future rounds doing that - you know what I'm up to.

If it was a 2 club challenge or maybe a 3 club challenge we were playing I'd totally putt with the 2iron. But after a long weekend of hard work I can say that I've successfully nailed down a putter as being 1 of the 4 that I'll play with on the day.

Basically putters are the best club in the bag to putt with. Look I do this work so you don't have to.

As an aside: I felt i couldn't really putt with longer clubs without anchoring the grip a bit. If anyone is brave enough to try putt with a long club for this round and feels like they need to anchor to hit the putt, so be it, it will be allowed for this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks captain - really appreciate the work...

"Putters are the best club to Putt with , could already be quote of the year".

It's inspired stuff. I'm hoping he posts on the painting and decorating forum too. I'm planning on painting the wall outside next year and am wondering what type of brush to use - a sweeping brush, hair brush or maybe some other type. Any ideas road runner?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Probably need a toothbrush to get into the nitty gritty bits

• Advertisement

Having never played a limited club event before I looked up tips for gaining an advantage. Top of the list was replace putter with something you can both putt and drive with. There's really no data on whether this is effective so I tested it out. In my case and specifically considering the number of par 3's at corballis I've determined its not the best option for me.

Regarding the best brush for painting, I'd probably just get someone else out to paint the wall who already has everything. Maybe work extra in my regular job to make up the shortfall. In my unfortunate experience painting walls is very hard on the upper body and shoulders when not used to it. And may mess up the golf game for up to a week afterwards while you recover- totally unacceptable 😆

Havent played golf in a month at this point and am really looking forward to corbalis! We'll have two closest the pins on this with no long drive. I'm thinking hole 1 where everyone can witness plus one of the par 3's on back nine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Long drive would have been an interesting one actually, would someone be willing to take a longer club option out on the course to try win a prize?

I imagine someone with an 8 iron trying to close the face to hit long drive and us not being invited back to corbalis again. So for that reason it knocked on the head for this one.

A closest the pin challenge on the first tee where everyone can see should be good craic though. Is 17 or 13 better for back-nine closest the pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Looking at the utube flyovers, it's a fairway finder course.

Never had the opportunity to play Corballis.

Putter is the dilemma......

3w 5i 8i 56*

5i 8i 56* Putter.

It's not a long course so accuracy over ego.

Quietly hoping there'll be some funny photos taken on the putting green morning of 😀

I'd say both are good options. I'd pip for 17th myself, but 13th is where it tends to be in club comps.

You could do the longest drive safely, but what would be the point? We've 7 par 3s, the nearest the pin is where it's at.

Since the best option for long drive for some of us would end up being tee it very high & swing hard, positive angle of attack -with putter, a scenario that is probably best avoided. The traditionalists of the game would have a heart attack. Also balls may spray everywhere.

When Corballis first opened, those lucky enough to experience it, also did so with limited bag.

The pioneers of golf, winter 1894 -4club challenge to open the nearby Portmarnock old though in those days they probably just called it Portmarnock.

It's links, the putter will come in handy off the green too, putter all day long, give those brave enough not to use a putter an extra shot😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

It's not that kind of links I'm afraid. Very much target golf required

Advertisement