Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WDF Prize Money

• 12-12-2022 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭

I’ve just had a look at the 2022 WDF calendar of events and prize funds. Barring one competition the prize funds are very very small. Some of the competitions have a prize pool of only a couple of grand (which is spread out between male/female/youth competitions)

I see Jelle Klaasen competing at some of these events but surely they all have day jobs as it appears that it would be impossible to survive on the meagre prizes on offer?

How do they raise prize funds, do they have a general sponsor or is it competition by competition sponsorship?

Anyone any idea do the competitors need to pay to enter the events?

TbL

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yes, there's entry fees for every competition bar the World Masters and the World Championships.

In fairness to the WDF, they have made the decision that women's events must have 50% of the prize money for the men's equivalent event which is a good decision. This has probably had a knock on effect of limiting the top prize in men's events.

The WDF needs to slowly build itself up and not pay out unsustainable prize money in the events that they run.

Also you need to be aware that the WDF does not run any of these events outside the World Masters and the World Championships, they are all run by local darting bodies which pay a fee to the WDF based on the grading level of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks for that, hadn’t realised they were locally organised.

I know the PDC have their own development tours but I’d like to see them invest in this.

Its great for community darts and talent development

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭US3

There was 500 entries to the Irish open last month. €25 entry fee. Winner got €4k runner up got €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jelle Klaasen won that didn’t he?

I think that was one of the WDF’s biggest tournaments

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Irish Open is a Gold graded event so it's one of the biggest events on the WDF calendar. Again though the WDF have no input into the organisation of it, it's all done locally.

Here's a link to the Irish Open on the WDf page:

Irish Open - DartsWDF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Shows how cruel the game is with a huge fall from grace players like Jelle Klassen has had

Only 7/8 years ago he was chasing near the top of the PDC roster

Say MVG is happy enough about it

Advertisement