Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forspoken (PC/PS5)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm really looking forward to this. It looks fun. I'm not usually a fan of Squenix games, but I felt like I would have liked FFXV if it wasn't for the Final Fantasy-ness. I couldn't deal with the characters at all, in any of the FF games tbh. They're just way too fake and not in an entertaining way, imo. Anyway, this could be good. The combat looks fun and fast, the visuals are pretty damn good. Just hope the story holds up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I do like the look of this. Combat feels like mix of Infamous and Control, both of which were a lot of fun. One thing I don't like is the weapon/spell wheel is seen far too much, hopefully that's just so they can show off a variety in the previews and when actually playing it won't take away from the immersion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll keep my eye on this. Didn't realise it was by Luiminous who were formed by the FF15 team and Hajime Tabata. Tabata was the guy in Square Enix that would swoop in and fix troubled projects, usually ones run by Nomura. He never made amazing games but what he did make were always solid, fun and interesting. However it's his studio making this but he doesn't seem to have a creative role in it.

Also, first game to support direct storage on PC so hopefully this finally leads to SSD access speeds in games to match and exceed the PS5.

Edit: OK ignore me, seems Tabata left the studio 4 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One thing about that gameplay footage raises a curious issue I have with the new Horizon as well: there comes a point when graphical fidelity is so high and busy that it actually impacts the legibility of gameplay. The amount of particle effects being tossed at the screen in the demo above would potentially damage your ability to properly read the encounters.

Would also agree that weapon wheels are something I've had a concern about in quite a few recent games. I sympathise with devs as I know there's no perfect solution when you have lots of powers and wheels are one of the 'least bad' options out there, but it does disrupt the flow of combat. It's one thing I like about Elden Ring and the Souls' game - a limited set of items mapped to the d-pad. It's unobtrusive and lets you stay focused on the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Days Gone's weapon wheel was atrocious. It had several segments, which you then had to select one which opened further sub-segments, where you might also have to hold that open and press another button to craft or attach suppressors.

At the very least things like crafting ammo/equipment should be kept for a pause menu in single player games.

Pushed back to January 24th. This sounds more like they knew October was going to be a busy month so made right decision to push the date out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say with God of War now being confirmed for early November, better to leave Forspoken to the New Year and give it breathing room.

• Advertisement

Yep. And announcing the delay an hour after date for Ragnarok announced and mentioning their partners make it look like Sony had a part in this decision since its a Playstation and PC exclusive and they knew sales would be affected with it being few weeks before Ragnarok

Forspoken will include over 100 spells and abilities - and you'll want to get to know how to use them in tandem, because it includes a Devil May Cry-style combo grading system.

In an IGN-exclusive Gamescom gameplay video, we see a number of combat encounters, showing the game's heroine Frey swapping between spells on the fly and using combos to take down groups of enemies. The game makes very clear you're being graded on the efficacy of your spell use - a meter counts up from rank D to A, with experience multipliers offered for doing well.

It seems as though there'll be a lot to work with, too. In an introductory video, Luminous Productions' Raio Mitsuno said, "The core of Forspoken's gameplay is built around exhilarating action. By mastering over 100 of Frey's different spells and abilities, you'll be able to enjoy robust combat, exciting and intuitive magic parkour, and various missions."

The gameplay itself shows huge numbers of combos, from trapping enemies in a floating bubble that you can burst with piercing attacks, to using a jet of water to boost into the air and sniping with fire attacks from above. There's also a shot of Frey seemingly using an ice surfboard to trick off of a waterfall, which isn't a combo, but I just really liked it.

I'm liking the sound of it (the combat in general), but I dislike games that grade me like that. Hope it's not like Vanquish or those other similar games.

I'm actually getting a bit excited for this. Grading aside, the rest looks right good and right up my alley.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks really good, looking forward to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Have a good feeling about this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like there'll be a demo for this! The Japanese PlayStation Twitter account posted a teaser for a gameplay showcase, but included a thumbnail advertising a 'Forspoken demo announcement trailer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Played a bit of the demo this morning, still not sure about it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Here's a video I took of my frying some gators. My opinion on the demo (and maybe the game) is it seems like a 6/10 that I'll probably have a really good time with cause of the tricky magic shite you can do

I get a Dragon's Dogma thing from it. Where combat is maybe the only thing that's really good. That said, it's very unintuitive and is built off of FFXV's awful combat system. Everything is proximity based and contextual. If you are running backwards you get a certain attack animations, if you are dashing forward that changes what comes out. Because things like this are important to finding a combat flow and aren't explained at all it's very hard to grok what you're meant to be doing. At one point in this I did a dragoon jump, I don't know why I did it tho or what button combination brought it out. But I think once the muscle memory sets in it could be a lot of fun, and if everything is contextual while that means it can be very floaty and imprecise it also means that it doesn't require a lot of dexterity to do the cool things.

A 'swimming in 7s' kinda game

I agree. The bit that they give you isn't very well explained, but I'm ok with that. I think it will play better once you start at the start and learn as you go, as this just throws you into it with 2 "powers" and expected to know how to use them. The going up a wall mechanic is annoying, thought it was broken but it just doesn't explain you only get x amount of jumps before you need to "land".

But, I am enjoying the combat. It's different, and when you get something to work it looks really well and can be devastating. I recommend people go in and read all the skills that are unlocked, or to be unlocked in the demo. Give a bit more direction and idea of what to do and how to combine styles.

As above, for now it's a solid 6/7 out of 10, but as it's a demo I'm expecting a bit more polish once released. It has what I call the Squenix jank, all Squenix games I've played have this feel to them and this is no different. It's not distracting, but it's hard to go from the smoothness of Ragnarok to this, albeit 2 very different games.

It gives you plenty to do and explore. I've "finished" the demo, but there's an extra thing to be done, maybe more. I'm just cleaning up the map for now. I'm also hoping the conversations between her and her bracelet are upped for demo purposes and it won't be that constant in the final game. Still looking forward to it and this has at least given me an idea of what to expect so yeah, I'm still down for it. Will bring me nicely up to Hogwarts Legacy and PSVR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Downloading the demo now. 30GB seems big for a demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not sure what I think of this. I don't play many open world games, so can't compare too much.

I know it's a demo so they had to put you somewhere after the start but it did feel like it would benefit if they slowly introduce elements. I'm sure if I went back and took my time with it and followed guides online, I could get an idea of what those skill trees and all are about. But as it is, I just did the objectives and a couple other things. I definitely wasn't at the level of one armed dwarf, going by their video.😀

They did seem to be going the usual route of showing what a standard objective might be as well as some side objectives as they would usually do at the beginning of things like Infamous or Horizon. Speaking of Infamous, it did feel a bit like Destin's earth throwing ability, though think Destin's worked better. Adn was hard to tell when the R3 targeting was working at times. I don't think there was a manual targeting, like holding L2 or something?

I'll probably pick this game up at some point but won't be rushing to get it.

Having completed the demo, I am interested in it. It does need a bit more polish but there's the makings of a good game there. Just hope the conversations are not as often, or like the recent Biomutant you can turn them down/off (but doesn't appear to work in Biomutant!). Don't think it'll be a day 1 game, but depending on what else is happening around then it may be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement