Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Pre-empting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

saw A gatso parked yesterday behind a bush alongside the Naas Road between Bluebell & the Kylemore X roads, southbound.

i was okay but it’s a dual carriageway with the inside lane a time restricted bus lane. There was a car coming up the inside of me. If he was speeding that’s his fault but I am asking can a gatso do a vehicle for driving in a bus lane?

Have to say where the van was parked was very sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Do for what?

Speeding.. yes.

anything else, no

And we don't have gatso's anymore.

The static ones have been decommissioned and the mobile ones have long since seen the scrap yard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Sorry then what are the mobile white vans called now?

Go safe vans.

The Garda operates ones (if they even exist anymore) are 'ROBOT multanovas' .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Hungry Burger

What is the range on Go Safe vans? Every time I pass one of these yokes I am **** myself that I may have accidentally strayed slightly over the limit further back up the road, some people say they don’t get you until you’re on top of them but I think Go Safe themselves claim they can get you up to a KM with a clear line of sight?

I was driving on the approach to Dunkettle Interchange in Cork which is a 60kph zone but was travelling at 70kph but by the time I was passing the van I was at 60kph again. Bit worried to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Very short, you've more of a chance of being caught driving away from the back of the van (eg. the other side of the road).

I remember a poster mentioning between 3 and 5 meters if travelling towards the camera. If travelling away from it, the range would be more as the radar beam is at an angle so spreads more on the other side of the road. Then again you'd have to see the front of the camera van and be stupid enough to continue speeding after passing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mazzybabsxx

What are the chances of getting a ticket. I stupidly was driving to work yesterday morning and was doing approx 52 km real speed (GPS odometer) and passed go safe van in 50 km zone. Was driving behind van following his speed without realising until I spotted it right before it as I couldn't see it prior as van was blocking view

Fretting since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mazzybabsxx

Thanks fingers crossed. I wouldn't mind but I'm always careful in the road to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Hi Folks,

I recently got caught by a GoSafe van doing 109kph in a 100kph zone. This was on a 3 lane dual carriageway and I was pretty much just keeping up with the general flow of traffic. I couldn't see it as I was obscured by a truck in the middle lane as I was overtaking him. 3 points and €160....Ka-ching.

My question is, should I leave this go to court given that the speed was less than 10% over the limit and there should be some margin of error taken into account? The risk is that if they do prosecute, I get 5 points and the fine doubles to €360...Ka-ching x 2. It is indeed a thriving business.

Some experience and opinions on this would be most appreciated. I base my question/defence on the below cases earlier this year (published in the Limerick Leader);

Several prosecutions for speeding offences were struck out or dismissed after Judge Colm Roberts expressed

concern that the alleged speeds were “within the margin of error” all of which related to the privately-operated fleet

of GoSafe vans.

 One case involved the offending vehicle detected travelling at 110km/h in a 100km/h on the N18 dual

carriageway, just outside Limerick city.

 Another case, related to an alleged offence at Rosmadda West, Parteen was also struck out with the judge

commenting it was a “little bit too close for my liking” In that case, the operator of a GoSafe van had given

evidence that a vehicle was detected travelling at 70km/h in a 60km/h zone.

 Another case which was also stuck out related to a detection which was made on the R527 (Ballysimon

Road). After hearing evidence that a vehicle was clocked travelling at 59km/h in a 50km/h zone, Judge

Roberts said: “I can’t accept that, it’s too close to the margin of error.”

 In another incident, a Go-Safe operator told the court that a female driver was detected driving at 109kph in

a 100kph zone at Coolrahnee, Askeaton. The Go-Safe operator was unable to provide Judge Colm Roberts

with the margin of error.

 Evidence was also given at this time that a male driver was caught speeding at 60kph in a 50kph zone at

Abbeyfeale. Asked by the judge about the margin of error, the Go-Safe operator said: “I don’t think I am

supposed to say.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What?

3 points and €160 is fine for this

Why the hell would you consider appealing when you were 9% over the speed limit? Your speedo probably read 115 kmh, so there really is no excuse. I'd accept the fine and not try to appeal

Sorry to be blunt, but this isn't an appeal circumstance. You had no excuse to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

The local rag reports on cases that have been successfully defended, but also consider how many have been lost that never get reported on. Either way if you are considering contesting this you should be getting legal advice to determine what your chances are, based on the your particular circumstances. A solictor would have a far better view on what your chances. Personally I would never front the court without representation as it can often just serve to frustrate the judge, whom may want to make an example of you.

You need to way up the cost of wining vs losing. I think the system is unfair whereby you get a higher penalty if you lose, especially if you have a genuine case. But I suspect the system is designed to stop everyman and his dog from contesting fines and clogging up the court system.

Be as blunt as you like, but doesn't legal precedence also carry weight? The several cases I referenced were all 9% (or more) over the speed limit. I certainly wasn't doing 115kph but maybe the dial might have read ~105kph. Why should there be an inconsistent ruling on this? The UK automatically allows for a 10% margin of error and it looks like many other EU countries also do (from quick searches online). Some common sense should prevail but it seems in Ireland, this is much less about road safety and much more about shooting fish in a barrel for easy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Your speedometer dial would have been reading 109 km/h or more unless your car is defective.

EU regulations (UNECE Regulation No. 39, section 5.3) specifies speedometer accuracy requirements.

Your speedometer should not dislay less than your actual speed or more than your (actual speed + 10% + 4) km/h

For an actual speed of 109km/h you speedometer should display between 109km/h and 123.9km/h.

The speed camera would be very accurate, how much leeway they allow before issuing a speeding fine is another question.

Thanks for that FishOnABike. I guess I can only comment on where the speedo was at at the moment I looked at it and that was between 100 and 110 but I didn't think I was going any faster.

Anyway, lots to ponder before I decide to take it on the chin or challenge it.

Bottom line and especially when it comes to dual carriageways, it's not the motorists who are doing just 9% over the limit who are a danger, it's those ripping it up 20%+ over the limit and/or with dangerous lane changes, erratic behaviour, sudden braking or worse again, those going down the wrong carriageway against the oncoming traffic!!!...2 separate instances of which I've seen on video in recent times. I wonder did they get caught?! Probably not.

The bottom line is were you over the limit or not.

When the matter goes to court you'll be asked 'guilty' or 'not guilty'.

It's black and white in reality, you either were speeding or you weren't, be it deliberately or by mistake.

It's only a thriving business because people are speeding and no one is forcing your foot down on the pedal but you.

You can take the chance but you may want to sit in the district court beforehand and see how many people get convicted and how many get thrown out with the judge who would be presiding. Likelihood hood is the ratio is highly in favour of being found guilty.

You were over, accept it and pay the fine, take some personal responsibility for your actions. All those other incidents you allege are not excuses for you.

Most people just complain about other people's driving but aren't willing to make a complaint and go to court which would be needed to prosecute. Of course those people would point the finger and say, 'but what about speeders?' and around we go...

Thanks for the condescending pontification, but that wasn't helpful and you missed my actual query.

I specifically sought insights from boards members into the potential for legal precedence being established from the list I posted of actual cases getting struck out in court that fell into this "margin of error" category. Is there any consistency or could it just be down to the personality or mood of the judge?

District court rulings don't create precedence.

Only rulings from higher courts.

Just because one or two district court judges take a certain course of action, it doesn't mean every district court will do the same.

If you want to fight a speeding ticket and win, you'll have to consult the right barrister who specializes in road traffic law.

It won't be cheap.

No point asking bar stool lawyers on boards.

There are tips & tricks that are used to argue speeding tickets by GoSafe, but it's hit and miss, and you'd need to be getting a Garry Doyle to be sure, but at that stage you've already gotten to court and the fine has already doubled, and you've no guarantee that the info you need is missing... Also Garry Doyles aren't usually granted for fcpn issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

AFAIK district court proceedings don't set precedence.

109km/h is over the speed limit. If you don't accept the fixed penalty notice then it goes to court. There it really depends on the judge on the day.

Is it worth the risk of an increased fine and points? How sure can you be which judge it will appear in front of and how sure can you be of the consistency of the judge's decisions on motorists slightly over the speed limit?

Post edited by FishOnABike on

Ok, thanks guys. That is very useful info and does convince me to take it on the chin, get the points and pay the €160. It sounds like there is still considerable risk and cost in taking it to court.

I lived in the UK for several years where no ticket gets issued unless the limit is exceeded by at least 10%. It's more like zero tolerance here, aka maximising fine revenue.

It depends on who and what you are pinged by.

I've never ticketed anyone going less than 25km over but I know other lads that would do you for 5km.

But ultimately the legislation doesn't have any leeway and 1km over the limit is over, full stop.

Again, the only way that ticket revenue can be generated is if someone is speeding, it's not the GoSafe operator, the Garda or the Average Speed Camera to blame. And that nots me being high or mighty or backing my own team, I've been done for a heavy foot myself at only 10km over but I recognised' that the fault was mine. If you're sore (not you you but the royal you) about giving money to revenue then you can prevent it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Above post is correct

I know you’re frustrated but you’ve said a few times now in various ways about money grabbing/making max revenue etc. it’s frustrating to read

Not to be miserable, but you were still speeding by definition

Cheers folks and of course I'm not trying to deny I was marginally over the speed limit.

It's not about the fine or points either. I guess it's the clear lack of consistency in issuing fines that frustrates the most, and particularly how surprised I was that the ticket even got issued in the first place at only 9% over the limit (coming from a UK standpoint where it needs to be over 10% over the limit to issue a ticket). Similar guidelines across Europe too. Also the frequent striking out of cases in this category that go to court.

Anyway, it is what it is and I'll have to accept it, but I certainly don't respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭blackbox

Would OP be happy if limit was raised to 109 and was caught doing 112.

I don't like speed limits but personally I prefer the limit to be clearly stated than to be "a bit above the stated amount" where nobody knows exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Just got a speeding ticket in the post today. The date of notice is 22/12/2022 but the date of offence is 17/10/22

Why is the ticket coming so late?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

A fcn can be issued within 107 days of incident i.e speed, no seatbelt etc.

Person probably took their time inputting in the ticket, but that's okay

8km over and you can be issued with a ticket from a GoSafe. (Last time I checked)

Anyone that says otherwise can't provide a pic of the ticket that shows a ticket issued for less.

50 - 58

60 - 68

80 - 88

100 - 108

120 - 128

Go to your local district court,on a day when they are hearing GoSafe cases are being heard, and you won't hear a single case where the alleged offence is for less than 8km over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Was 4 or 500 metres from the GoSafe van on the M1 yesterday when I saw it. Slowed down straight away. Am I getting done? 😬

Advertisement