Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment storage heating

Options
  • 27-07-2022 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Looking at buying an apartment which is fitted with storage heaters. Given past experience with these heaters I would like to change if possible to a more efficient heating system. Does anyone know if this is possible and what the likely costs would be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wedger

did you ever get sorted with a different system?

Have a 2 bed that i would love to rip the storgae heaters from

What did you go with in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Would be interested to hear also - bought a small house with 3x storage and 2x electric heaters. It transpired that all 3 storage heaters were broken and the timers were broken on both electric heaters. I'm thinking of options, but obviously, with a house there are infinite more alternatives than apartments.

I'm guessing with apartments you can either a) change out the storage heaters for more modern ones or wifi controlled panel or convection heaters that at least give you heat when wanted (rather than at 10am when nobody is there and you freeze at night).

If there is an open flue chimney a wood burner might be an option but again would depend on the internal layout, size and type of flue.

Gas heating is unlikely in an apartment block without gas being already piped in.

Oil is out as there is nowhere for storage, same goes for LNG.

Portable gas heaters might or might not be permitted depending on the development (anything higher than 3 stories probably will not look on them fondly, if at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Storage heaters will be fine once you understand how to use them effectively.

On the older style you need to get into a habit of changing the dials 2 or 3 times a day as the output is very manual - literally fins moving. Output 1 is fins open a little, output 6 fins open fully. Always turn to output 0 when out of the house for periods. Turn to output 5 or 6 in evening and then back to 1 or 2 an hour before heading to bed.

The newer styles also need attention to detail to understand how to get the best economy out of them.

Advertisement