Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ronan Collins Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I hope they either give the slot to Philip Boucher Hayes so he can talk at us in a condescending tone about climate change for an hour.

Or

Katryn Thomas, so she can't tell us what the kids and 'himself' do be getting up to 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Ronan has had a long career on national radio. I've always felt that there were much better presenters out there who were more deserving of air time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I do not normally look at this thread, but my attention was drawn to it by another thread referring to Ronan's imminent departure. As regards his broadcasting experience, Ronan Collins started with Dublin pirate stations in the mid to late seventies. He was one of many that were taken from the pirates by RTE for its then new pop station Radio 2 (now 2FM) in 1979. After a few years there, Ronan moved "upstairs" to Radio One and has been there ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Best of luck to Ronan, 43 years that’s some achievement, I’d love Shay Byrne to get the slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Are de wimmin taking over? Hoping Creedon has a few years in him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Always enjoyed Ronan's show, a lovely interlude of well curated playlists between current affairs shows. Hugely knowledgeable across a wide range of genres - I'll miss it.

He's certainly earned his ability to hang up the mic. I hope he has a long, enjoyable and healthy retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

He is in his hoop, he’ll be back for the Bank Holidays.

You never leave RTE……..ask Marty, ask George, ask Olivia, ask Bowman……ask anyone……..!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Maybe it's an age thing, having grown up with him always being on the radio, but I liked listening to Ronan and I enjoyed his straight forward presentation style and music selection - no social media pandering when he is on air. I will be sad to see Ronan go and the slot change... I wish him and his family well and I sincerely hope he enjoys his retirement from daily presentation.

I put Ronan and Ian Dempsey in the same class... started out together in the 70's, on air ever since, and always dependable in presentation style - you know exactly what you are going to get when you tune in.

It has been a long and enjoyable innings and if he wants a break... he is certainly entitled to it. I will be listening in on the 23rd and might even set up the cassette recorder to mark the occasion properly, like I did when he started out on ARD :)

I hope someone in Donnybrook is planning a big send off.... Ronan deserves it for the years of enjoyable service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Louise Duffy did a fantastic job* when she stood in for Ronan recently, it most certainly wasn't anything resembling a tired playlist. I'd love to see her get this role.

The show works for so many,* the requests, the roundy birthdays etc...might seem a bit dated, but its easy going, somehow-caters-for-all programme, does what it needs to do.*

(A mon avis!*)

Uhmmmmmm……. …….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Hospital radio.

He should have retired 10 years ago, except his self-invested pension had an 80% haircut.

I knew we'd get a comment like that. His show isn't challenging, that's for sure - it wasn't meant to be. It was a welcome break of musical escapism between two current affairs shows. It was just nice, easy listening.

He fills that role far more effectively than Tubridy does in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Agreed. I liked Shay and Louise too but some of the music was more contemporary and good but you’d hear much of that elsewhere but I liked some of the older stuff you don’t ystakjy hear. I can think of at least a dozen songs I’ll probably but gear on radio again now.

Ronan too was one if tge last play what you like DJs. I miss the kind of radio where you’d go between genres easily. I know there are other shows still doing the unpkaykidted genre hopping stuff but they’re catering for music heads (which I’d count myself as) but are more serious listening. Ronan managed it in a light way during the afternoon.

yeah I can see why some disliked the show. I’d venture if you’re under 40 it’s not your thing. For me it sounded like those radio I grew up with and loved in the 80s where playlists weren’t such a big thing and you’d hear Leonard Cohen followed by Rick Astley in the early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

Between numerous Ad breaks,the weather,playing cd's,Joe Duffy waffling for 5 minutes at 12.45 every day,news taking minutes off the start and a longer ad break before the news @ 1 bookending the show and cutting into running time he actually speaks for about 6 minutes in total every day,how do you get paid about 6K a week for that?,the handiest gig in RTE by a country mile.

Christ I hope not. That’s me done with Radio 1 fir the afternoons then. Doubt they’d move tge news at 1. Plus if D’Arcy is on 500k it’s a waste just giving him 45 minutes work for that, though they don’t mind Duffy doing a similar amount for similar money.

Does anyone actually like Darcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Best of luck to him in his retirement-many of us will miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

5 hours a week like how did he manage such a workload?...

• Advertisement

Ah look he seems to hate pig in a lot of prep and the show was kind of a solo effort by the sounds of it. He was always well prepared so was obviously ding his mine work behind tge scenes.

unlike some of his Co workers he cage in slick and prepared, didn’t ram his views down the listeners neck and was capable of using the studio equipment without screwup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

A left field choice might be Derek Mooney??

Yeh..wouldn’t be the worst choice.

Bit of a wildlife show…it could work instead of the usual scripted patter that hasn’t changed for 40 years.

How come these RTE heads think they can stay in service forever is what puzzles me.

In most other jobs when you’ve had your day you move on and let others have a go?

For some reason the RTE crowd think it’s a job till you are carried out in the bosca adhmaid.

Very strange stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,556 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

But…but…where will I hear Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor and Mark Knopfler?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Picked up on a few songs and artists I would never have listened to only for this DJ

thank you Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If by "left field" you mean "dreadful", you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Louise Duffy has been formally announced as his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Sadly...all good things must come to an end. I really enjoyed his show and would switch over from my usual music station just to listen to Ronan's show. I really appreciated his own personal take on various pieces of music as he experienced them, from the sixties and early seventies, which was before my time, and music I mostly would never listen to only for his show. He will be missed.

Aaah Jaysus Breener…….it’s Christmas here….where’s you spirit of joy and peace.

Del boy isn’t the worst, could have been some gimp like Joe Jackson or sommit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Welcome aboard Louise.

Advertisement